Sunday, April 16, 2017

Food Safety News: The Walton, N.Y.-based Vulto Creamery has been named in the wrongful death of Richard Friedman by the Listeria victim's widow, Vermont resident Veronica Friedman. Friedman died last Nov. 2 after suffering a massive stroke caused by the Listeriosis infection he suffered from eating the raw milk cheese manufactured by the Vulto Creamery. The cheese was contaminated with Listeria. ... "People think of food poisoning as inconvenient rather than really dangerous," said Marler, who is an attorney for Ms. Friedman, and who is recognized nationally for his food safety expertise. "But the reality is that what you eat can seriously damage or even kill you. Food providers have a responsibility to protect the lives of their customers, especially when producing raw milk products, which poise a higher risk to consumers."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Six people were hospitalized and two died, between Sept. 1, 2016 and Jan. 22, 2017, who were infected with an outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes that has been associated with raw milk cheese from the Vulto Creamery.

Comments

Unless you are drinking milk from your own cows no one should be using raw milk. Why is it okay to consume raw milk from your own cows? Because you share the same flora with the cattle. The claimed health benefits from raw dairy products is BS.

#1 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-04-16 11:13 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-04-16 11:18 PM | Reply

If there's a warning about eating the product on the label I don't see how this lawsuit and proceed.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-16 11:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It never made me sick. What weaklings.

Maybe you were never exposed to Listeria?

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-16 11:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#3 | POSTED BY JPW

Our cycling club makes people sign waivers, we still get sued ... in the > $100,000 range...

Ask Et_Al

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-04-16 11:34 PM | Reply

When I was a kid we played in the dirt the muck you name it we played in it. That helped us develop an immunity to things. People today stay indoors too much and Anti Bacterial soaps kill the immunity system. It's just ridiculous.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-04-16 11:35 PM | Reply

I'm not saying the lawsuits don't happen, just that there isn't much legal footing for them to proceed on.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-16 11:39 PM | Reply

Yes. It's called the hygiene hypothesis.

But it's thought to be associated with chronic inflammatory diseases such as allergies, asthma and autoimmunity. So it isn't that it kills the immune system, it's that the immune system is improperly educated.

If you'd been exposed to a pathogen (Listeria, salmonella ect) you likely would have gotten sick.

Although a quick check suggests Listeria is a more opportunistic infection, meaning this guy was susceptible for whatever reason whereas a healthy individual is not. Guess he shouldn't have been eating it if he'd known he was at risk.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-16 11:45 PM | Reply

"I tried to tell you"

Louis Pastuer

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-04-16 11:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | POSTED BY JPW

I know what you mean, I used to believe that too, but lawyers don't seem to care, and the courts for some reason don't care about waivers or individual responsibility.

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-04-16 11:56 PM | Reply

Fair enough. I admit it's wishful thinking or even naivety.

It just seems fairly cut and dried in my mind as it's not exactly a secret regarding certain raw foods and inherent risks involved in consuming them. If I eat sushi at a restaurant that's fully up to code and following regulations but still get ill, I'll just pass it off as "that sucks, better luck next time".

But then again I think I'm less prone to requiring blame be adequately applied. Sometimes ---- just happens *shrug*.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-17 01:31 AM | Reply

That helped us develop an immunity to things.

#6 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-04-16 11:35 PM | FLAG:

Lick a petri dish of listeria, and let us know how "playing in the dirt" worked out for you.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-04-17 07:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"That helped us develop an immunity to things. People today stay indoors too much and Anti Bacterial soaps kill the immunity system. It's just ridiculous." - LauraM

Yep. That's exactly why people in professions that are constantly exposed to pathogens, like doctors, nurses and teachers, rarely get sick after their first few years in the profession.

My is teacher and I'm a nurse. The first few years of our marriage we were sick a lot. I'd bring home the crude from the hospital, then she would bring home something from some snotty student. After a while, our bodies natural flora had developed an immunity to a lot of pathogens.

#13 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-04-17 08:13 AM | Reply

If I were on the jury, I would find no fault with the distributor as long as a reasonable warning was given either on the label or clearly visible signage posted whenever someone entered the facility.

It's like my stance with smoking lawsuits. Unless you started smoking BEFORE 1966 when the first warning were placed on the packages, the culpability lies with the consumer.

#14 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-04-17 08:17 AM | Reply

Lick a petri dish of listeria...

RIP to whoever does this.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-17 08:40 AM | Reply

Nah, he'll be fine, he rolled in the dirt as a kid. Playing outside defeats all bacteria.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-04-17 09:13 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by SLBronkowitz

It is dangerous regardless of who's cows it is. Even your own cows will give you Listeria infections and other pathogens... Consuming Raw Milk products is just stupid today because there are no health benefits.

#17 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-04-17 09:17 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr

So did I. Animals, swamp, woods, etc. It provided you with a healthier immune system that was exposed to more. Part of the theory behind all the allergies today is that we are not exposed to enough germs and it has to find something to fight (with things like pasteurization and immunizations). But here is the thing it never made you immune to the likes of Listeria or Salmonella or E. Coli or... Otherwise we would not have pasteurization in the first place because back then people lived in the dirt and with open sewers etc.

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-04-17 09:23 AM | Reply

People believe they have magically strong immune systems until something makes them really sick. No amount of time outdoors is going to make up for the decision to have unsafe milk and cheese.

I bought some unpasteurized cheese from a farmers market once, then got home and did some reading about the risk. We threw it away uneaten.

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2017-04-17 09:32 AM | Reply

Posted by rcade at 2017-04-17 09:32 AM | Reply

If you get anymore send it my way. I'll be glad you did.

#20 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-04-17 09:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

These are the same kind of people who don't get their kids vaccinated. "We don't need none of that science stuff." I'd say it was Darwin at work.

#21 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-04-17 12:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I eat raw milk cheese all the time. I'm Swiss. I have to-- it's in my blood. Whether it's Emmentaler or Le Gruyère-- it is soooo delicious. I also do other things people say are pointless and/or stupid like jump out of airplanes, drink and take drugs to excess, live in a ghetto, run with the bulls, skateboard without a helmet, practice unsafe sex, vote libertarian, and post to the Drudge Retort.

#22 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-04-17 12:20 PM | Reply

Time to party with Pumpkin.

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-04-17 12:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"SMDH I've drank PLENTY of raw milk even within minutes away from the udders. It never made me sick. What weaklings."

Trump logic.

#24 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-04-17 01:23 PM | Reply

If you get anymore send it my way. I'll be glad you did.

I could fish it out of the garbage and roll it across the kitchen floor before I send it to you, since you are immune to food-borne illness.

#25 | Posted by rcade at 2017-04-17 01:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I love raw oysters but I know every time I partake I'm rolling the dice.

#26 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-04-17 03:03 PM | Reply

Time to party with Pumpkin.

#23 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG AT 2017-04-17 12:31 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1

I wanna go!

#28 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-04-17 04:04 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY JPW

Warning labels on products are useless. Even more so if they had prior knowledge of listeria contamination.

#29 | Posted by 726 at 2017-04-18 07:35 AM | Reply