Saturday, April 15, 2017

An attempted projectile launch by North Korea on Sunday failed, US and South Korean defense officials told CNN. A South Korean defense official said the action took place in Sinpo, a port city in eastern North Korea. That was the site of a ballistic missile test earlier this month in which the projectile fell into the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea. US Pacific Command said it tracked a missile launch at 5:21 p.m. ET and said the missile blew up almost immediately. The attempted launch occurred a day after the regime of Kim Jong Un showed off a bevy of new missiles and launchers at a large-scale military parade on its most important holiday.

Comments

Hah ha!

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-04-15 08:15 PM | Reply

I thought it was supposed to be a nuke test?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 08:20 PM | Reply

Now they will claim we intercepted the missile. And I hope we did.

#3 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2017-04-15 08:21 PM | Reply

This was probably the best out come for tubby kim now the US probably will do nothing and kim will save face by not backing down, though his missile failure be a little embarrassing it wont be as embarrassing as him backing down.

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-04-15 08:25 PM | Reply

Trump's Fault!

-DR Left.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-04-15 08:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wonder how many NK generals and Chinese officials are thinking tonight that it's about time that Comrade Kim sleeps with the fishes?

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-04-15 08:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The Norks will not be told the missile failed. Kimmy and Donny both get to act tough.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2017-04-15 08:54 PM | Reply

North Korea wants attention.

When the attention of the world moves elsewhere, North Korea does something to try to draw the attention back to them. That's why fmr Pres Obama pretty much put them on "ignore." That may have not been the best way to deal with N Korea, but I'm not sure anyone knows of a better way. Though I do not want to eliminate the possibility of trying another way.

To be honest, in some respects I like what Pres Trump has been doing in the foreign policy area this past week. But that statement raises so many other questions in my head.....

While some had attributed the word "unpredictable" to Pres Trump's policies of late, my word would be "incoherent" because I've not seen any answer to the question, "what is the end game?".

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 08:56 PM | Reply

Oh who bloody cares. I mean really.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-04-15 08:57 PM | Reply

@#9

Simply stated:

Any and every US citizen should care because North Korea is a threat to citizens of our Country.

Just because we can annihilate their country if they attack us, does not mean we should just sit and be quiet whilst they threaten our citizens.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 09:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Don't ---- yourself just yet. North Korea is still buying it's weapons technology from a Wal*Mart in Pakistan.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 09:51 PM | Reply

@#11

Absolutely.

NK appears to be in the experimentation stage.

However, as the saying goes in the security community... all the aggressor needs to achieve is one success. The defender needs to be 100% successful, regardless of the number of attempts. I don't know about you, but when I go to Las Vegas, I prefer better odds.

In other words, while defense can be a great tactic, ultimately it may not be a successful strategy.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 10:00 PM | Reply

Perhaps, but the alternative is declaring war on most of the planet. That can get really expensive.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 10:04 PM | Reply

Kim Jong Un doesn't need to nuke the US; he needs to nuke the guy that gave him that haircut! :)

#14 | Posted by shane at 2017-04-15 10:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#13 ... but the alternative is declaring war on most of the planet. ...

I'm willing to see how NK plays out.

I'm not going to prejudge an issue that I feel needs to be resolved.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 10:09 PM | Reply

I'm willing to see how NK plays out.

My guess is within 5 years they will have a weak nuke that they could toss across the DMZ with a trebuchet.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 10:14 PM | Reply

@#16 ... My guess is within 5 years ...

My thinking is that we'll have some manner of resolution before five years pass.

China seems to be becoming frustrated with NK's recent activities. China is the last (The Last!)* ally of NK.

If we don't have a resolution in five years, then we, i.e. the world, are in deep turds.

But, what do I know? ....

==========================================
* China needs NK to assure the forces aligned with SK do not suddenly appear upon the border of China. That is the reason why China supports NK. China does not want a unified Korea with the resulting border that would result.

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 10:26 PM | Reply

The games begin...

#18 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-15 10:26 PM | Reply

The beauty of "Mutual Assured Destruction" (MAD) doctrine (at least with the USSR and China) was that it prevented world wide thermonuclear war for over 70 years. Both sides would make great efforts at keeping cool heads.

But the flip side of it is, what do you do when you have a Lunatic weenie despot , like Kim Jong Un who's constantly up to evil mischief and thumbs his nose at the USA every chance he gets ?

The N Korean regime really needs to be taken out, BUT HOW!?!

#19 | Posted by shane at 2017-04-15 10:32 PM | Reply

@#18 ... he games begin...

Less The Games, and more The Stand Off And Subsequent Negotiations. ;)

But let's not trivialize this situation.

I.t...i.s...g.r.a.v.e.

#20 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 10:34 PM | Reply

Probably. North Korea can't have much cash left.

#21 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 10:36 PM | Reply

@#21 ... North Korea can't have much cash left. ...

Especially now that China no longer appears to be buying the NK coal.

www.nbcnews.com

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 10:44 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Thirty-five or forty years ago I'd agree, but I think were living in a different age. China is much more worldly and cosmopolitan now. They've become "cultural communist" , so to speak.

I would think they'd rationalize that a unified democratic Korea would be a much more stable and safer neighbor. And the USA could finally pullout and go home.

#23 | Posted by shane at 2017-04-15 10:51 PM | Reply

@#23 ... I would think they'd rationalize that a unified democratic Korea would be a much more stable and safer neighbor. ...

That is the view of western countries, but, apparently, not the view of China.

Might I suggest you read more of Chinese news media on a routine basis, e.g., www.xinhuanet.com .

imo, you get a different "feel" of the ~Korean situation~ from the Chinese news sites.

#24 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 11:01 PM | Reply

And the USA could finally pullout and go home.

Speaking of things that will never happen.

#25 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-15 11:12 PM | Reply