Saturday, April 15, 2017

United Airlines just made another policy change aimed at preventing a fiasco like the one it endured this week. The company said late Friday that it will now require commuting staff and crew members to check into flights 60 minutes prior to departure. The policy change comes in the wake of a highly publicized incident on April 9 in which a paying customer who had already boarded was violently dragged off the aircraft by law enforcement officers. United later said a seat was needed for a commuting crew member, and no one had volunteered to leave the plane.

Comments

There is no reason to get physical with passengers unless a passenger initiates an attack. All United had to do was up a cash offer until they got a volunteer. But they never do that. Instead they offer travel vouchers, which expire after one year.

#1 | Posted by nutcase at 2017-04-15 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yes. They should have kept going up by $1000 until they had a volunteer.

If something is illegal for a private citizen to do, then it should be illegal for a company to do. Unless anyone can walk onto a plane and fight someone for their seat, this should be punishable under the same mechanisms.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-04-15 04:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Seriously. Airlines swimming in cash via the nickle and diming of passengers and over bookings... They absolutely need to step up the offers. $800 is not worth the inconvenience or shortening of my trip. If I am flying on vacation I have a schedule both leaving for one and coming back. If I am coming back I have to be at work and have other obligations that will be painful to rearrange. When I fly for work I hate to admit it but I'd be tempted to take the bump because I don't fly often anymore. It's not like I'd have the day off - I'd still be working from my laptop but I wouldn't have to be in the office...

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-04-15 06:11 PM | Reply

Band-aid® on the symptom.

United needs to identify and resolve the core problem.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-15 11:15 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

ding, ding, ding,

we have a winner.

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-16 05:38 AM | Reply

we need a corporate 'jail'. A virtual place where we can put whole corporations in virtual jail.

a large company like United could go completely bankrupt if not allowed to do business for a day or two.

then the company should be sold off and the proceeds distributed to the employees who were not criminals.

you do that and you will start seeing some truth in business.

#6 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-16 05:42 AM | Reply

These 'security personnel, were they United employees or TSA/Air Marshall people?

#7 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-16 05:43 AM | Reply

You know what's funny? United could have offered to pay a passenger hundreds of millions of dollars to take a different flight, and they would still be in a better position than the one they currently find themselves in.

"There is no reason to get physical with passengers unless a passenger initiates an attack."

The Pilot in Command has the authorization to remove any passenger or crewmember for any reason. But he or she better have a good one-they'll have to answer for it.

#8 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-04-16 10:12 AM | Reply

"There is no reason to get physical"

American police seem only to speak the language of violence lately.

#9 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-04-17 07:21 AM | Reply

"The company said late Friday that it will now require commuting staff and crew members to check into flights 60 minutes prior to departure."

Seems highly unlikely that the real problem in this incident was that this crew for the other flight was just lazy about checking in.

How about this: United takes responsibility for making sure that crew working consecutive flights is the right city on time to work their next flight. And that should include reserving their seats in advance whenever possible.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2017-04-17 09:27 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY SULLY AT 2017-04-17 09:27 AM

Couldn't agree more... that being said, and while I do appreciate them looking into their "root cause", I havta say, that's THEIR problem. What WE want to not see is them manhandling anyone, ever, for something so benign. I'm glad they're figuring out how to prevent their issue in the future (which we should never see or worry about), but I feel a lot more needs to be said by them concerning the ACTIONS of how the passenger was handled. No matter what changes they make, they're not making that video go away. (jeez, they could've chartered a private jet and got the crew where they needed to be for less than .1% of what it's going to cost them from a legal perspective, not to mention the cost of public opinion. stupid stupid stupid)

#11 | Posted by deadseasquirrel at 2017-04-17 11:02 AM | Reply

Most flight crews don't understand that they are glorified bus drivers and waitresses.

I still recall the early-morning standoff between a flight attendant and TSA knob, where the FA was told to empty her pockets and she refused, twice. Standing right behind them and in no mood for a 6am spat, in a loud voice I said to the FA: "Do it!" Out came about 40 tampons. Two mysteries solved at once...

#12 | Posted by catdog at 2017-04-17 12:17 PM | Reply