Saturday, March 18, 2017

San Diego's Stone Brewing, the nation's ninth-largest brewery, has unveiled a beer made with treated sewage water. The recycled-water pale ale is called Full Circle. Stone made five barrels of the beer using water treated at the city's Pure Water demonstration plant, according to the Times of San Diego. San Diego officials hope to purify enough recycled water by 2035 to handle one-third of the city's drinking water supply. Stone's chief operating officer, Pat Tiernan, said the purified recycled water is actually better than what the brewery uses now. ... Brewer Steve Gonzalez, who created Full Circle, admits being skeptical at first but says it ended up being one of his favorites. "Among the pale ales that I've made, it's probably in the top three," he told KGTV, adding that those who drink the beer will "get some caramel notes, some tropical fruit notes. It's a very clean-tasting beer."

Comments

Considering the current brewing fad of making Hoppy McHopface Hop Overload von Hopsburg van Hopzilla OMGZ HOPS! beers, the addition of sewage might be an improvement.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-03-18 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stone is my favorite brewery, but the words "treated sewage" and "caramel notes" are a nightmare in liquid form.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-03-18 12:12 PM | Reply

IPA - I POOP A

#3 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-03-18 12:17 PM | Reply

Hey thanks but no thanks. I'm sure that Brewere Steve Gonzalez is correct but still, I'll stick to Becks. Hey they're Germans, they don't do comedy, but they also don's do sewage.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-18 12:18 PM | Reply

Sounds like crappy beer.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2017-03-18 12:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is the future. It's a high end water recycling system. It's going to be become "standard" water people shower in, cook with, etc.

If you hate this, you hate the environment. You might as well join Scott Pruitt's EPA.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-03-18 01:18 PM | Reply

I know it's the future, but it's a future that makes me curl up into a fetal position and cry "grandma take me home" over and over.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2017-03-18 02:17 PM | Reply

I'm not too sure I understand the issue with this.

Sewage is usually treated and the wastewater released back into the same water source that's used to provide drinking water anyway.

This is merely removing the middle stage.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-03-18 02:21 PM | Reply

Coors?

#9 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-03-18 02:35 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-03-18 02:17 PM | FLAG:

You hate the planet. Trump voter.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-03-18 03:29 PM | Reply

Oh, the circle of life. [...] it is recommended that Americans drink spirits or wine while dining in Mexico. 3.2% Beer won't prevent Montezuma's revenge. But, 6.5% will probably save you.

#11 | Posted by nutcase at 2017-03-18 04:14 PM | Reply

Its not the future for water,the earth is 80 pct water. In 30 years(probably sooner) when the tech for widespread hydrogen power gets here problem solved

#12 | Posted by blake914 at 2017-03-18 08:12 PM | Reply

#9 No Coors is untreated.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2017-03-18 08:57 PM | Reply

All beer is made from recycled sewage. Water (urine) has been recycled millions of times over the millennia.

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2017-03-19 08:28 AM | Reply

------?

#15 | Posted by cookfish at 2017-03-19 09:29 AM | Reply

Dos XX

True P water beer.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-03-19 12:21 PM | Reply

All those traps and filters get gunked up until a chunk of turd sludge breaks loose into the hopper.

you know it does.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-19 03:05 PM | Reply

I P freely beer.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2017-03-19 11:07 PM | Reply

The circle of the life of beer.

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-03-19 11:31 PM | Reply

All water is recycled sewage water. Period.

#20 | Posted by 726 at 2017-03-20 07:33 AM | Reply

I always thought that's how they made Schmidt.

#21 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-03-20 09:19 AM | Reply

Hate to tell you this, but the discharge from most sewage treatment plants is actually cleaner than the stuff from your tap. Water from a water treatment plant is actually good when they put it into the system, the problem is the miles of pipe before you get it to your tap.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-20 11:32 AM | Reply

Clean treated water is clean treated water. I don't care what it used to be.

www.youtube.com

#23 | Posted by morris at 2017-03-20 01:15 PM | Reply

I'm guessing they didn't ask the internet for input on the name. Full Circle is a decent name, but is that the best they could come up with? How about Brown Trout? A-2-M? Yellow Snow? Skid Mark?

#24 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-03-20 01:23 PM | Reply