Saturday, March 18, 2017

Research has consistently shown that addiction to prescribed opioids is rare. A 2016 study by Castlight Health, Inc. found 4.5% of opioid users were abusers. A 2010 Cochrane review of 26 studies documented opioid addiction in only 0.27% of patients.

Guidelines issued by the CDC in 2016 for prescribing opioids for chronic pain cited another study which followed chronic pain patients who received opioid prescriptions for 13 years. The study found that "one in 550 patients died from opioid-related overdose" over the 13 years.

As for the dangerousness of opioids, one variable often left out in discussions in opioid overdose is the fact that they tend to involve multiple drugs.

A 2014 report from the CDC based on nationwide emergency room data noted that alcohol was involved in 22.1% of deaths related to opioid pain relievers, although the figure could be higher, given inconsistencies in how states and localities collect and report toxicology data. (Sal Rodriguez)

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

A 2015 paper looking into opioid overdoses in San Francisco from 2010-2012 found that 74.9% of opioid overdose deaths involved other drugs, including cocaine (35.3%), benzodiazepines (27.5%) and alcohol (19.6%). Data from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene noted that "97% of all overdose deaths involved more than one substance."

As the war has heated up against prescription opioids, heroine use has risen. Increased risk is associated with illegal heroine because of variations in street quality.

Public warnings against mixing opioids with other drugs would save more lives than another drug war (Fentanyl is one of the most dangerous mixers). Other ideas include getting allowing individuals with chronic pain to access the medication they need without criminalizing their ailment or threatening their doctors with prosecution. Or allowing the operation of safe injection sites and expanding access to medication-assisted treatment and access to syringe exchange programs and naloxone.

But the addicts don't matter. What matters are the budgets of the nation's massive anti-drug bureaucracies and agencies, even though their entire mission is predicated on the fraudulent idea that drug prohibition and enforcement will keep Americans safe and drug-free.

We live in a sea of lies.

Comments

Start by questioning Big Pharma on shipments to Tn, Ky, and Fl.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-18 10:36 AM | Reply

Start by comparing prescriptions written to the number of pills produced. Be aware too that millions of doses prescribed are sold by the patients to raise enough money to pay their co-pays for treatments. Trust me, I know what I am talking about here. When you show up for chemo-treatments if you don't have the money you don't get the treatment.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-18 10:56 AM | Reply

#1, I posted that info as well, which documented that big pharma and its dealers remain outside prison while independent entrepreneurs aren't so lucky.

The other side of the coin is that there remains legitimate uses of these drugs.

#3 | Posted by nutcase at 2017-03-18 11:52 AM | Reply

Vancouver (Canada west coast) has the most progressive drug policy in North America, based on the four pillars first developed in Europe.
www.terry.ubc.ca

I think they need to improve dose consistency by providing legal sources of drugs, and use sales revenue to fund education on the dangers of drugs. It has worked for booze, it will likely work for hard drugs.

Drug users should be treated as patients not criminals.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2017-03-18 01:56 PM | Reply

Having been on prescription opioids for over a decade now I have some thoughts on this.

Thanks to the new regulations I now have to physically pick up a paper script each month and deliver it to the pharmacist. Since I am still mobile and able to drive this is not a huge deal for me, however it does mean that one day a month I don't get an actual lunch break as I have to spend my lunch driving to the doctor, then driving to the pharmacy then waiting 15-30 min.

Who really gets hurt are those not able to do all that themselves, my mother-in-law for example. I had to do it for her and since her doctor was at the hospital it also meant paying for parking, since her insurance only allowed her to use certain pharmacies it meant driving across town to the approved one. It was a 2 hour long ordeal and if my wife and I had not been able to help her I have no idea how she would have dealt with it. I know one person who does not drive and takes the bus everywhere in her case it would be an all day long process, not really conducive to holding down a full time job if you need to take a day off every month just to fill a script. I know another guy who's doctor actually requires a visit each month. He has no insurance so pays 150 bucks a month and has to take a half day off work then has to pay over a 100 bucks a month for his pills. He has had 3 back surgeries without it he could barely get out of bed.

As far as over prescription I still know a drug dealer who can get oxy on request so despite making it a huge burden on legitimate users there doesn't seem to be any change in the underground market, ok some small change the price has gone up to $1 a milligram, but based on how much I see out there that seems to be either false scarcity or a premium based on risk factor.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-03-18 02:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I wouldn't say it would work for everyone but my daughter endured very extensive surgery and chemo treatments. The doctor prescribed lots of oxydodin, she wouldn't take it and relied instead on marijauna for pain. Jeff Sessions would want to put her in jail for it. He doesn't know it but his brain has been in jail all his miserable, hateful life.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-18 05:40 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-18 05:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

MJ all the way. When heroin is a more mild version of what you are prescribed, it's time to rethink pain management.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-03-18 08:14 PM | Reply

yup you have to get a script every month for pain pills in Wa state and your subject too random piss tests and if you're found that you have smoked weed in the past month you could lose you're prescription to the pain medication.

There is a good article you can fine on people with chronic pain being under prescribed pain medication because of this BS war on drugs, I watched my mother go through great pain because of the fear on the war on drugs even though she was dying, they let her die in pain because of this BS money making war on drugs.

I pray that there is a place in hell for those drug warriors who know better but want the money this fake drug war offers.

Smash the DEA

#9 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-03-18 11:08 PM | Reply

yeah. duh.

and my VA doctor told me at my annual last week that: i know you don't believe me but a man passed away the other day that we had to tell him his lung cancer was caused by smoking marijuana and cigarettes.

once i got VA psychiatric treatment where at the 4th, and last, visit the counselor told me to get 'The Purpose Driven Life', Rick Warren's book.

and they all think they're being "non political." so if you try to point it out, you'll get a roll-eyes end of discussion.
dumbasses, there never was a f'n discussion about your f'n clueless religious attitude. freaks.

#10 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-03-19 02:29 AM | Reply

#8 I love the MJ as much as anybody.. but some pains it can not help.

As for why the opioid problems.. seems to have started right after Afghani opium was "liberated" from Taliban control... next thing you know they are handing out pills like candy..and when the scripts run dry... $$$

#11 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2017-03-19 02:52 AM | Reply

Smash the DEA

#9 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM AT 2017-03-18 11:08 PM | FLAG:

That exact thing happened to my mom. I had started making her MJ chocolate candy to help her wean off the pills and her next trip to the Dr. costed the prescription for pain pills. So we went straight MJ and she did fine until she passed away last year.

Mom was always dead set against MJ and had never even tried it. When I was a senior in high school she found out I was smoking weed and she tried to put me in rehab. After she was forced to use it for pain when her script was yanked, she had a totally different outlook and began to question the government and why they would keep it from us as a medicine.

Lordy I miss the ole girl.

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-03-19 11:28 AM | Reply

My mother suffered from pain and great depression for which the doctors prescribed all sorts of drugs. Finally, my sister in law came over to the house, took all of the medications and put them on our coffee table, they literally, completely covered it. We threw them all away. Mom recovered, got a job, and live out the rest of her life much happier. Thanks to my brave sister in law.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-19 11:52 AM | Reply

RIGHT ON

#14 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-03-19 05:28 PM | Reply

All this is cute but ignores the very real problem of counterfeit prescription pills spiked with Fentanyl(bye bye, Prince), which is much stronger than heroin and will kill you as dead as dead can be. Instances of heavily cut heroin spiked with Fentanyl are also not uncommon. As bad as Big Pharma may be and as much as this stuff may be over-prescribed, the counterfeit market is a very real hazard. A lot of this stuff coming in from China and Mexico.

#15 | Posted by morris at 2017-03-20 01:45 PM | Reply

Criminals would not deal drugs if there was no money in it. Criminals would not make counterfeits if there were no profit in it. Before the Mann Act made narcotics illegal without a prescription about 4% of the population was hooked on opioids. After 80 years of rigorous enforcement and fortunes spent, according to the last poll I saw about 4% of our population hooked on opioids today. Seems the best way to make something desirable is to prohibit it. End the drug war. You can not improve society to the point of an Utopia.

#16 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-20 05:13 PM | Reply