Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Former [North Carolina] Gov. Pat McCrory says the backlash against House Bill 2 is making it difficult for him to land a new job after he left office. McCrory has been appearing frequently on national media outlets to defend the controversial LGBT law, but he hasn't announced what's next for his career. In a podcast interview recently with World, an Asheville-based evangelical Christian news website, McCrory talked about his challenges on the job market. The former Republican governor says HB2 "has impacted me to this day, even after I left office. People are reluctant to hire me, because, 'oh my gosh, he's a bigot' -- which is the last thing I am."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

If it walks talks and supports bigotry it's a bigot.

Comments

He can pick lettuce. Lots of jobs doing that.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2017-03-13 09:00 PM | Reply

Here's a tip: Apologize publicly, endorse a repeal of HB2, and hold a big LGBT rights fundraiser....and mean it.

Or pick lettuce, hell if I care.

#2 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-14 01:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you're having employment problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but being a bigot ain't one.

#3 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-03-14 04:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 4

#3 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE AT 2017-03-14 04:15 PM | FLAG: 2017 Drudgie Nominee for Best One-Liner

#4 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-14 11:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I'd like to thank the Academy. It's an honor just to be nominated.

#5 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-03-15 11:33 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Obviously the work of O-B-A-M-A and the "deep state"

Sincerely

Gelding101

#6 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-03-15 03:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

He can put his college degrees in political science and education to wok by being a teacher--certainly a highly respected line of work with lots of growth opportunity. Right?

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2017-03-15 04:40 PM | Reply

Liberty University comes to mind.

#8 | Posted by zelkova at 2017-03-15 05:14 PM | Reply

McCrory: My Bigotry Makes Finding Job Hard

What a loser. Taking extremist uninformed hard right positions is the EASIEST way to make tons of money as a moron republican talking head. If you're willing to lie for a living, republicans have plenty of money to pay you.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-03-15 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

McCrory is not a bigot.

JeffJ

#10 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-03-15 06:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Truly an example of "you reap what you sow."

#11 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2017-03-15 06:36 PM | Reply

because, 'oh my gosh, he's a bigot' -- which is the last thing I am.

We see this mentality all the time on the DR.

Blatantly bigoted conduct by a large portion of righties who claim they're the least bigoted people on the planet.

Right after they get done slamming gays, trans folks, Muslims, liberals and everyone else their fantasy version of Jeebus tells them to hate.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2017-03-15 10:56 PM | Reply

Haha. Headline win!

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-16 12:14 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2017-03-16 12:14 AM | FLAG: Finally correct about something...thank God

#14 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-16 12:38 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#12 | Posted by jpw I'm far from being a righty, but does truth count as a slam? Gays can play anyway they want, as long as it doesn't involve children or rape. Hell, they now have the additional legal burden of marriage. But the unfortunate truth is, homosexuality is a unhealthy life style. Higher in suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism, STDs, and domestic violence. Wasn't transsexualism considered a mental illness till about a year ago by the APA? Identity choose does not trump biology. If a guy wants to dress in drag, go for it. If he want to pay to have himself surgically militated,and take drugs to make himself appear female, his chose. The bathroom thing is a deflection. Muslims have beliefs, practices and doctrines that are contrary to our laws and culture. If they choose to come here, they have agreed to abide by out laws and assimilate. They are just as subject to criticism and ridicule for their beliefs as anyone else. Liberal is a wide area. But the contemporary left deserves all the bad press they get, and more so. Militancy is always ugly, and it seldom accomplishes their objectives. A little history lessen, back when I was a teen we had a group called the SDS. They liked to fight the police and start fires. They were not militant enough for some, so another group started from their ranks called the Weathermen. They liked to bomb. Nixon could not have created a better poster child for the anti-war movement. Their efforts probity extended our involvement in Vietnam four years. As far as Jesus, most say they follow, but he is way too radical for most. Set down with a red letter edition of the new testament some time. Just read the things he said. As far as Christians go, very few have actually read the Bible. Around 20% actually have.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-16 09:09 AM | Reply

We don't dress in drag we aren't mutilating ourselves when we go under the knife. I'm celebrating when I have mine. As a matter of fact I'm putting a toe tag on the sucker right before surgery and tell it GOODBYE.

#16 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-03-16 10:25 AM | Reply

so I don't share a tremendous amount of personal stuff here, but this seems apropos.

My wife and I had our first child in the fall. We have started our family fairly late in the game and both have successful professional careers at a level where we are significantly responsible for our firms/practices and the fortunes of others. We intend to keep working. I'm lucky enough to have built a business that I can run via telecommuting and with some travel, so I will be our primary care-giver and a work-from-home dad (which I am really enjoying.) However, work will intrude regularly and will require 100% attention when it does. So, we need backup at home. We have been interviewing candidates for nanny/parent's helpers for our infant ... you know ... more job creating and what not.

We had several good first interviews with several candidates. The next step was scheduling informal in-person meetings with the best of them. One leading candidates seemed personable, had good qualifications, ancillary skills and a child care/enrichment philosophy that we found very attractive. Thus far, this person was very likely to end up getting the job. When we explained that we would like to meet in person for a second interview they agreed enthusiastically and we said we would be in touch after we finished all the first interviews to schedule a time. Then, right before hanging up the phone and ending the conversation the (presumably) young woman volunteered "Yeah, I'm sure you want to meet to make sure I'm not ... some huge black guy who's gonna murder you." My wife ended the conversation quickly and we both were kind of dumbfounded. I asked wife if I misheard the young woman via the speakerphone. Unfortunately she confirmed what I thought I'd heard.

So, for those who haven't interacted with me before, I happen to be (among other things) kind of huge black guy. Fortunately, I never have, and as far as I can tell, am unlikely to murder anyone in the forseeable future. My child is biracial and will be regarded by the outside world as black. I have the highest hopes for him, including that he not end up murdering anyone. As a multiracial family with a child who will be regarded by the outside world as black, civil racial attitudes and a prudent level of sensitivity are necessary qualification for this job.

Needless to say, this person has disqualified themselves from the job. This person has not been discriminated against in my hiring process. She has not been denied her first amendment rights. She is not a victim of PC culture. And she is not being "reverse discriminated" against because of any limitations on what she can or can't say due to her own race. (#1 we hadn't met face to face yet, so I don't know what race she is. #2 A black candidate making that comment would confound me even more in some ways and disqualify them just as much.)

This young person is solely facing the consequences of her own defective personality. And this is what the snowflake Governor also needs to understand. Your bigotry is your individual responsibility and problem, not ours. Your ignorance, insensitivity and/or stupidity are not immutable characteristics that others must treat equally to those who don't burden us with idiocy. These attitudes are the defects in your personality, and nothing in our constitution, culture or social mores says that others need to suffer your defective personalities when we have a choice. Individuals ho act like -------- will individual be treated like --------. You are losing out on opportunities and facing marginalization as an individual and based on defects that are solely attributed to your individual failings, choices and limitations.

But I do thank this young woman for hanging a "I'm stupid and inappropriate" sign out for us to see. We were this close to inviting this moron to participate in the care of our child. Dodged a bullet there.

#17 | Posted by leadbelly at 2017-03-16 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Congrats on the new addition to your family, Lead.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-03-16 12:18 PM | Reply

#17 - That's one of the best posts I've seen on this site. Congrats on daddyhood.

#19 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-03-16 12:24 PM | Reply

Congrats Leadbelly.

Remember....there are 2 types of discrimination...legal and illegal.

you have every right to not hire that applicant for the reason you stated. She disqualified herself. Period.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2017-03-16 12:37 PM | Reply

Congrats on your first child, LB. Great to read your posts as always.

I was an early telecommute stay at home Dad in the early 80's before it was popular... or even acceptable in some cases. As a "high tech headhunter" in Austin, I could spend most of my time at home on the phone with some interviews/lunches/meetings each month.

It was a terrific experience, and in at least one scary case, perhaps saved my family. My wife and baby had gone grocery shopping and were followed home by a couple of white power convict-looking skinheads. One of them stayed in the car while the other had followed her into the garage to the kitchen door.

Unbeknownst to her, he was right behind her when I opened the door to let her in... not suspecting a stay at home dad. I'm a pretty big guy, too, and he took off like white lightening. I chased him out to the car but they got away.

Reading your post, I wish I had been a big black guy, as that would have been more humiliating to these criminals, lol. Wasn't funny at the time, though, no telling what might have happened had I not been there, and in my mind it helped justify my life/work style that was unusual back then.

Anyway, you'll love the closer relationship with your child and you'll make a great Dad, too.

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2017-03-16 12:46 PM | Reply

Corky,
Good thing they didn't have a car antenna!

Eberly,

I have no fear that my decision wasn't sufficient. I employ about 80 people. I know my way around not hiring ass holes. P.S. your evolution as a thoughtful poster over the years has been restorative to my belief in the basic goodness of humanity.

Jeff,
Thank you for the kind words. However your ongoing flaccid efforts at establishing false equivalencies in the face of your party's total intellectual and ethical collapse are undermining my faith in humanity that Eberly us working so hard to restore.

Quit worrying about how things that don't really compare to Obama compare to Obama and fix your effed up party before they turn this place into planet of the apes or I will send Frank Cotton to your house to play lawn darts on your ------- with my golf clubs.

#22 | Posted by leadbelly at 2017-03-16 02:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

-Good thing they didn't have a car antenna!

lol... lucky fer them I didn't!

- I will send Frank Cotton to your house to play lawn darts on your ------- with my golf clubs.

If I could get a copy of that recording....

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2017-03-16 04:28 PM | Reply

"...homosexuality is a unhealthy life style..."

It's not a "life style", you imbecile.

#24 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-03-16 04:39 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by leadbelly So your a black Yuppy? Hell, I am a huge white guy, 6'1", 210 been married to a black woman for 28 years. Have a bi-racial kid. The difference between you and me? I raised my kids while in the Army, only missed about 9 years being at home. Plus, I have actually killed people and it didn't bother me a bit. Better thee than me.
#24 | Posted by Angrydad, show me a gay DNA trait? Homosexuality is behavior, not eye color. I have had many gay men I have considered friends. I don't any more. They are all dead.
#21 | Posted by Corky, A pump shot gun in the hands of a 100 Lb woman will get a 200 lb man to run like greased lighting too. If you had killed those skin heads, you would have been doing the rest of us a favor. As it is now, they are still out there, like rabid dogs, looking for a victim.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-17 12:16 PM | Reply

- I have actually killed people and it didn't bother me a bit.

AKA sociopaths, who can be killers without conscience.

- I have had many gay men

And they didn't all chose to be gay.

- A pump shot gun in the hands of a 100 Lb woman

Will be taken away by a real criminal who knows what they are doing.

- If you had killed those skin heads, you would have been doing the rest of us a favor.

I would still be in prison, even in Texas. They most they had actually done was trespassed.

- As it is now, they are still out there, like rabid dogs, looking for a victim.

You sound like just what they are looking for, and internet tough guy.

#26 | Posted by Corky at 2017-03-17 12:50 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by Corky, Might be true, might not be. Actually I have never herd of someone disarming an armed woman, some tried, they died. Without conscience? I worry about things I can control, not some idiot trying to kill me. "I would still be in prison, even in Texas" wrong, this is Texas, we shoot bad actors every day and charges are never filed. These guys were obviously intent on doing violence, more than likely had a long rap sheet, most Skin Heads get indoctrinated in prison. "internet tough guy", nope, if I was actually tough, I would not have a concealed carry permit. I am too old to fight, go if someone attacks me or mine, I will just have to kill them.

#27 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-17 01:18 PM | Reply

- wrong, this is Texas

Trespassing isn't an excuse for murder, even in Texas.

"With regard to using force or deadly force to defend your "castle," the Texas Penal Code specifically uses the word "habitation," not the words "building" or "property." Texas has a very limited definition of what qualifies as a person's habitation. The "Castle Doctrine" does not cover your entire piece of property."

blog.uslawshield.com

- I will just have to kill them.

You seem to look forward to it and have said you have killed people without being bothered by it. Sociopathic indeed.

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2017-03-17 01:28 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by Corky, better to be a live psycho, than a dead victim. I refuse to live in fear or on my knees.

#29 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-17 03:58 PM | Reply

So stop being a bigoted nutjob.

Problem solved.

#30 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-03-17 04:05 PM | Reply

Never heard of any woman being disarmed?

www.usatoday.com

crimewatchdaily.com

www.rawstory.com

www.arkansasonline.com

#31 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-03-17 04:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#29 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2017-03-17 03:58 PM | FLAG:

You know, in civilized societies, they have these things called "police officers..."

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-03-17 04:26 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by DirkStruan, Call them, they will be there in time to investigate your murder.

#33 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-18 09:25 AM | Reply