Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Carleton University is feeling the burn from students on social media for removing a weight scale from its gym to promote a more holistic approach to a healthy body image. The recent move isn't sitting well with several students who are accusing the school of kowtowing to a small group of gym users who are easily offended. "Next it will be the mirrors. #bringbackthescale," wrote one Carleton student on Facebook, while another said online, "Are you for real, Carleton? What a sick joke." Details of the scale controversy were first reported in the university's student-run newspaper, The Charlatan, on Thursday. ... The paper quotes one student as saying, "Scales are very triggering" for people with eating disorders.

Comments

Why are university administrators so craven? When someone lodges a stupid complain, just ignore it. Are they really scared of these crazies whining on Twitter about it?

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2017-03-13 12:48 PM | Reply

They 'trigger' a Cheeto binge.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-13 01:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

and you care what a college in Canada does because?

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-03-13 07:00 PM | Reply

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I can most definitely support this.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-03-13 07:02 PM | Reply

Then don't don't step on it

#5 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2017-03-13 10:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Then don't don't step on it

#5 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2017-03-13 10:36 PM | Reply | Flag

Don't worry I don't if I can help it. I hate Dr's visits. Look I know I'm fat you don't need to give me digits to prove it. Hell one time I thought I had gotten out of it one time til the Doc seen my chart and found it missing. Why don't they weigh in different units of measure to make it seem like you aren't that heavy???

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-03-13 10:47 PM | Reply

Why don't you face reality and make the best choices available to you?

Nevermind, Bernie 2020!

#7 | Posted by bored at 2017-03-13 11:33 PM | Reply

hypersensitive idiots who can't control their emotions. I'd tell them to grow the hell up.

Better yet, I'd like to see what they did when they were "triggered".

#8 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-03-14 07:15 AM | Reply

..."Scales are very triggering"...

The word "over-reaction" comes to mind.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-03-14 11:16 AM | Reply

The word "over-reaction" comes to mind.

Posted by LampLighter at 2017-03-14 11:16 AM | Reply

You've never had scales say to you "Get off of me please" I take it???

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-03-14 11:23 AM | Reply

Laura -- I do understand not wanting to know the number. At my Dr's office the scale is digital and the read out is about waist high against the wall. I choose to have my back to it. In my opinion I am not "fat". I carry my weight well and look good, but the scale number bothers me. I avoid scales because the only time I worry about my weight is when I see the number associated to it.

I believe that the college here has made a mistake. Catering to a small minority for something as petty as a scale is foolish and sets a precedent.

#11 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2017-03-14 11:29 AM | Reply

@#10

That would be the scales' problem, not mine. It should not invite me to stand on it, if it did not know the consequences.

That aside, I still think removing scales is an over-reaction.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-03-14 11:30 AM | Reply

Look, I have worked hard for a year and a half to lose weight and get back into reasonable shape. As you get older this is no easy feat to achieve - for some it never was. A scale is one of the most valuable tools you have to keep you motivated and more importantly - accountable. It belongs in a gym.

If you are there to get in shape and don't care about your weight - ignore it.
If you are there and offended by it - sorry but you don't belong in a gym.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-03-14 11:47 AM | Reply

While I believe they should leave the scale, I agree with their "holistic" argument against checking weight religiously. Weight is just one measure, and not a very good one at that. It can vary widely based upon how hydrated you are. It also just tells you how much mass you have, while composition (fat versus muscle) is a much better indication of health. While I have not investigated the "girth" method of tracking progress, it makes sense because it would allow you to target measuring the areas that tend to store fat. That would be a more informative way to measure because it would #1 not show muscle loss as "good" (while weight measurements do) and #2 not show muscle gain as "bad" (which can make it seem like you aren't losing fat when you are).

From reading the article, it seems like the gym did this as an informed way to encourage actual good health over just weight loss, and a bunch of sensitive snowflakes (conservatives) assumed that it was because of "political correctness" so lashed out.

#14 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2017-03-14 12:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What doesn't get measured, gets forgotten.

Next up: removing weight numbers from machines and plates.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-03-14 12:52 PM | Reply

Obesity is rampant because academia and the PC police are afraid of hurting a snowflakes feelings.

#16 | Posted by Robson at 2017-03-14 01:03 PM | Reply

There are a few sports where competition is determined by weight.

#17 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-03-14 02:22 PM | Reply

They should put the scale at the entrance to the cafeteria.

#18 | Posted by bored at 2017-03-14 02:44 PM | Reply

Very rarely do I step on a scale, I know if I am over weight or under weight. I do recognize those who are on programs and want to measure themselves, and it is a good thing giving a measure of factual data.

What is shocking is this is coming from a university.

#19 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-03-15 05:19 AM | Reply

#16 - Obesity is rampant because we evolved to crave fats and sugar or calories in general because most of the time they were not readily available. Today we live in a time when calories are cheap abundant and most work doesn't require physical labor. Our technology for producing food and reducing our need to to use our bodies for work is what causes rampant obesity.

#20 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-03-15 07:18 AM | Reply

cheap and abundant

#21 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-03-15 07:18 AM | Reply

They need to make a scale that looks like a storm trooper - that would really set some of these idiots off.

#22 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-03-15 11:51 AM | Reply

"I am not "fat". I carry my weight well and look good...
#11 | POSTED BY JUSTAGIRL_IDAHO"

Can we agree on Rubenesque?

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-03-15 06:37 PM | Reply

Next to come down score boards in sports venues.

#24 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-03-15 07:25 PM | Reply

As I remember, while I was still in the Army, I failed a weigh in and a tape test. I didn't look fat. I worked out 5 days a week, ran 4 to 6 miles a day, ate well. So they had another test that involves a water tank. They call it a body mass index. That test said I had a total body fat of about 6%. It kept off the "fat boy" program. That is serious in the Army. You only get one chance to get under the tape and you do not get on that program again. More people are eliminated from the Army for weight than drugs and alcohol. They don't have fat shaming, they just fire you.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-16 08:03 AM | Reply