Sunday, March 12, 2017

Throughout Yvonne Lin's entire first pregnancy in New York City, no men offered her their seats on the subway. So when the 38-year-old designer got pregnant a second time, she decided that if any man was actually courteous enough to give her his seat, she'd reward him with a 7-inch "#1 Decent Dude" trophy. And at eight months pregnant, she finally got to hand over the bronze statuette on the A train. Lin came up with the idea during her first pregnancy, when she noticed that the only people offering her their seats on the subway were mostly black and Latina women. "I was getting no seats from men," she told DNA Info, "if I finally get a seat from a guy then I have to celebrate this some way and make sure he knows he's appreciated." So she purchased a "silly little card" to give to any man who offered her his seat during her third trimester, but no man earned the reward. That's why, the second time around, she decided to up the stakes.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In her backpack she carried around a bronze statue featuring a Hulk-like man ripping off his shirt, and a plaque that reads: "#1 Decent Dude. First man to offer subway seat to pregnant woman throughout Two Pregnancies."

Eight months into her pregnancy, on February 24, while standing on the A train in front of a seated man, the unexpected happened: The man actually glanced up from his smartphone and noticed the "obviously pregnant" woman in front of him. "He looked up at me and looked super startled and embarrassed, and he immediately stood up and said, 'Please take this seat, I just noticed,'" Lin told DNA Info.

Comments

What a nice story! There are still people with some manners.

What a horrible story! It's so hard to find one guy with some manners.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-03-12 01:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Manners=misogyny

He offered the seat because he saw her as weaker, in a bad way, took pity on her feeble gender, failed to respect her strength and stamina.

What an -------.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-12 01:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I'm amazed it took nearly two complete pregnancies before a man offered his seat.

I offer my seat all the time when I'm in a city with mass transit. I can remember when I was carrying one of my young sons in my arms and people offered a seat to me.

Also, after seeing my dad lose his mobility in the final years of his life, I feel like I'm blessed to be able to ride standing up with no difficulty.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2017-03-12 01:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I love this story and hope it inspires more acts of kindness of all kinds.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-12 02:34 PM | Reply

When I'm in public transportation, I offer my seat to fat folks, pregnant folks, and elderly folks.

Mostly, I prefer to stand anyways.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-03-12 02:38 PM | Reply

I feel like I'm blessed to be able to ride standing up with no difficulty. #3 | POSTED BY RCADE

Same, bro.
#blessed

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-03-12 02:40 PM | Reply

I give up my seat.

I have heard push-back against giving up seats and opening doors.

Just to be fair.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-03-12 06:16 PM | Reply

There's an angry Rosengurtle-Baumgartener somewhere screaming about patriarchy because the dude gave up his seat to "the fairer sex", and somewhere else there's an angry snowflake in a ----- hat screaming about someone not having done it earlier.

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-03-13 08:03 AM | Reply

"There's an angry Rosengurtle-Baumgartener somewhere screaming about patriarchy because the dude gave up his seat to "the fairer sex",

Why is it that I've never met one of those? Me thinks you are a tad paranoid. I've encountered many men who were inconsiderate but I don't think intentionally so, most of them were just not really paying attention. If a pregnant woman was brought to their attention, I don't remember ever meeting a man who wouldn't gladly give up his seat, most are just in their own world, in their own thoughts. It's not meanness, it's just that they too have their own stuff going on.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-13 08:42 AM | Reply

It only takes one feminist to ruin the idea of gentlemanly behavior.

On several occasions I have held open doors for an incoming woman and been chastised like they couldn't do it for themselves. I was still raised correct, I will always give up a seat, open doors, and in almost all occasions show ladies first, it is the way one is raised.

If my mother was in the train and the man didn't give up his seat for a woman let alone pregnant, she would give him a good verbal tongue lashing even if he wasn't paying attention.

#16 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-03-13 09:26 AM | Reply

When we open doors for women, sometimes we get dirty looks and a "hmmmmph".
If we don't hold the door open, we still get a "hmmmmph" and a dirty look.

So I go with my polite Conservative instincts and open doors and give up seats.

#17 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2017-03-13 09:43 AM | Reply

The problem here is it isn't only a man's responsibility to give up the seat, every healthy individual should give up the seat, women included, but strangely the focus is on the men.

If my daughters were sitting and didn't give up their seat I would gibbs slap them.

#18 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-03-13 09:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So I go with my polite Conservative instincts and open doors and give up seats.

#19 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-03-13 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I would gibbs slap them

'Gibbs slap'... good one.

#20 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-03-13 10:03 AM | Reply

"this isn't a conservative instinct or a liberal, it is common manners regardless of politics." - #19 | Posted by Crassus

Bravo - and thank you - for such an excellent post, Crassus

#21 | Posted by Hans at 2017-03-13 11:06 AM | Reply

Thanks Hans, I still always call it like I see it.

Common manners is A-political and it is amazing so many think differently.

I gave "A" benefit cause it should be extreme.

#22 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-03-13 11:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

You're right there probably is. But so what? There's probably only one. Hence nothing to worry about. But it seems to me those on the right and the left are adept at propping up this legendary and mystical manifestation that inhabits, no -- infests -- each political hack's psyche. And it is he, this manifestation of the worst that makes up the opposition, who is intently argued against even though he does not exist.

#23 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-03-13 12:33 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

It can be expected to happen in Mobile, Alabama (traditionally Conservative culture) but should not be expected in New York City, NY (traditionally Liberal culture).

Just sayin'.

#24 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-03-13 12:36 PM | Reply

Whenever I take mass transit, I generally just don't sit down so that someone else can take the seat unless either I'm really tired it's empty. I guess I mean, I don't think I would get the trophy because I don't make a show of it. I once got up when an elderly couple got on the London Underground. The woman sat down, but she looked like she felt guilty or awkward about it.

#25 | Posted by LEgregius at 2017-03-13 06:01 PM | Reply

The world needs more kindness, regardless of physical condition, gender, political party, race, age, or shoe size. Think beyond yourself.

The Number 1 rule to be a human is:
Don't be a dick.

#26 | Posted by cbob at 2017-03-13 08:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is anyone shocked it took so long in NYC?

#27 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-03-14 11:38 AM | Reply

New York has a cold streak.

Unless you're afraid of falling with exhaustion you offer your seat to the pregnant lady not because she's female but because of the possible danger to the child of you don't.

#28 | Posted by Tor at 2017-03-14 12:27 PM | Reply

For me it's not a male/female thing. Unless I was sick or extremely tired for some reason, I would offer my seat to an obviously pregnant woman or to an elderly woman or man.

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-03-14 12:56 PM | Reply