Thursday, February 16, 2017

PC Gamer: Don't expect the FCC to push for faster broadband service in residential homes. For the most part, 1 Gbps Internet service is a pipe dream for any U.S. resident who doesn't live in a major metropolitan area. If you were hoping that might change at the urging of a new FCC commissioner, don't hold your breath. FCC Commissioner Michael O'Rielly hasn't been one to push for faster broadband, and he's certainly not a champion of expanding 1 Gbps to more areas. Instead, he views ultra-fast broadband as a "novelty" for consumers who already have access. "The outcry for things like ultra high-speed service in certain areas means longer waits for those who have no access or still rely on dial-up service, as providers rush to serve the denser and more profitable areas that seek upgrades to this level," O'Rielly said, according to Fierce Telecom. "Today, ultra-fast residential service is a novelty and good for marketing, but the tiny percentage of people using it cannot drive our policy."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

O'Rielly is assuming that expanding ultra-fast broadband and striving for ubiquitous broadband coverage can't occur at the same time. ...

What brought all this into view is a $20 billion proposal by a group of Democrats to expand "high speed and affordable broadband" in underserved areas. It was proposed as an alternative to U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed trillion-dollar infrastructure initiative.

Comments

He's a true visionary. With thinking like his we would not have interstate highways, we would not have the internet at all. Why would anyone appoint such a moron to the FCC?

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-16 08:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Just as other Countries are moving to make HS internet a basic service and utility,you guys are stepping back 50 years...way to keep keeping up with the rest of the planet...I told you rejecting the metric system while the rest of the planet used it would have consequences .

#2 | Posted by ghoti at 2017-02-16 08:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought libs said it was a right for all.

#3 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-02-16 12:53 PM | Reply

MAGA.

#4 | Posted by 726 at 2017-02-16 02:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I live a very short distance outside of town here and I cant even get internet through my home phone company (Centurylink-previously Qwest). NOBODY can provide service to my home, not even satellite because of where it sits. I am between some small hills, right next to a creek, it is beautiful and less than 5 minutes to town. To me the people in town with internet and screaming about needing faster speeds so they can watch 4K TV are insane when I would have to struggle with dial up in order to get online from home. I have Verizon as my cell phone provider and as soon as I get close to my driveway off the main road I lose all service. I have 1, yes 1, bar of cell service inside my home which will allow texting but drop calls, and absolutely NO data. We moved here only a few months ago because we loved the location and the phone company told us it would be no problem to transfer service. After moving they realized that they could only provide a landline phone out there and dont have any plans to expand right now because they are currently upgrading for faster speeds in town. Well pardon me. I believe that expanding to provide service to every home with a landline should take precedent to upgrading existing customers.

#5 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2017-02-16 04:46 PM | Reply

Electricity is probably just a novelty too.

It will be interesting to see how much farther the US falls behind the rest of the modern world in so many ways with Trump at the helm.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-02-16 08:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2017-02-16 04:46 PM

I know you've probably already considered this, but have you looked into another wireless provider or a cell phone booster? Some of the cell phone companies even provide the booster for free and then, if you're able to get a decent data signal, you could set up a wireless hotspot at home.

#7 | Posted by censored at 2017-02-16 08:10 PM | Reply

JGirl you are on dialup?
Hipster alert! :)

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-02-16 08:28 PM | Reply

You should really look into running your own fiber to the closest road or trunk. When I ran glass in the MissLou alot the Antebellum homeowners ran their own fiber seeing as who their houses were set back almost a mile from the entrance or closet road. So long as the first and last post are grounded you should be good. Many companies will actually provide the fiber so long as you provide the labor and poles. We even provided the guide wires and lashings. So long as a certified contractor put them in.

#9 | Posted by aescal at 2017-02-16 09:27 PM | Reply

Go in to town and find the plant manager for CL and ask. Worst they can say is no.

#10 | Posted by aescal at 2017-02-16 09:28 PM | Reply

All these fancy people with your electric lights and your racey Packards.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

#11 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-02-17 07:10 AM | Reply

Broadband is TOTES NECESSARY. I don't think I would have made it through the 70's and 80's without it. What do they expect us to do....READ?

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-02-17 08:11 AM | Reply

With the radio waves being bought by big corporations so that they can control the broadcast news, TV is owned by 6 major corporations, newspapers are being bought up by a few big corporations, the media is owned by the corporations. The internet is our only source for real news today and when we let them take it away from us we will be just like the Chinese people and the Russian people; powerless, uninformed, completely owned by the oligarchs. No, we should fight tooth and nail to retain net neutrality, and then we should put it in the Constitution so that, down the road, some billionaires can't just bring it up again and sneak through an abolition of it again. REalize, this is one of the most critical moments which will affect our history going forward, it will determine whether or not we have a "free press" or not. I think a strong argument could be made that net neutrality is protected already by the Constitution because it is the "free press."

#13 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 08:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That aside: people arguing for broadband being both necessary and a right have COMPLETELY lost their ability to define what is or is not a "necessity". Even IF access to and unmoderated news was a "necessity" (which is a debate worth having), getting it at 1Gb/s is NOT. Television itself is not a "necessity", much less 4K sets. The fact that there are so many people disconnecting entirely from those forms of entertainment demonstrate that. Do I prefer to read the news on my cell phone when its connected to home Wifi instead of my 4G? Yes. Is it necessary? No. It's just a bit faster. Anyone claiming that broadband is a necessity is providing justification to people who are buying big screen TVs and feeding their kids ramen for dinner.

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-02-17 09:25 AM | Reply

Do the 1Gbps networks even run at that speed?

My network preferences say that's what my service is running at but I doubt it's true given the lag I have sometimes on things like movies (legit movies you pervs) and Youtube.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2017-02-17 09:47 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by Sniper
#12 | Posted by MUSTANG

Just when I am starting think I can't lose anymore respect for you two you find a way to change my mind. It should be an essential utility and the previous administration labeled it that. What are you going read? You like your info extra outdated?

So while virtually every other country has recognize the competitive advantages this type of connectivity brings their societies we want to step back to the 70s or 80s? Breakout your Commodore 64 with the 150 baud modem and hit the BBSs. And that was near the end of the 80s.

The only countries not seeking to improve their internet are places like North Korea. And other places where they like to suppress the population. Even places like Iran are engaged in improving their internet connectivity.

It's idiotic to think there are not tremendous benefits to bigger internet pipes everywhere. In the very near future it will be your only connectivity other than cellular. Newspapers are folding left and right - or going online only. TV stations are feeling the pinch too. Phone companies? Read below. I get it we don't deliver Natural Gas, Electricity or even phone lines EVERYWHERE and there are some damn good reasons for those places without. But Any rural home serviced by a phone and Electricity line should have broadband access.

Look at Michigan. Michigan (driven by ATT) passed legislation to begin the dismantling of POTS along with 30 other states. POTS lines (Plain Old Telephone System) are the copper lines to your house by the "phone" companies. Sure the subscriber base is rapidly declining. Sure it is getting more costly to run. BUT there is no alternative for most rural homes. So now you have no internet AND no phone. A lot of areas around here have sketchy cellular too and this area is flat. I myself would love to live in Rural Michigan again - on our family's old homestead to be exact. The problem is I can't get any service where I want to live other than electric and POTS lines. That prevents me from being able to do my job at times. So I have to live in Suburbia or pay $100k+ to have a special line run to me.

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-02-17 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Mustang, in the 60's and 70's your comments might have been fair because the media was owned by thousands of people not a few major corporations. Today, that is just not true. Today, due to some very bad laws signed by Bill Clinton, media is owned by 6 major coprorations who censor the news heavily much as does the Chinese and Russian governments. Net Neutrality is completely necessary today under "freedom of the press". Without the internet we would be blind fools wondering but never knowing what was really going on i our world. You may be willing to give up this right so that billionaires can get richer ad have more power but I think more of us aren't so willing than are and even to the point that demonstrations of a size never before seen in America will be happening. That womens' march in Washington will look tiny in comparison, freedom loving Americans are simply not going to tolerate this violation of our rights. In truth, I am really surprised at your willingness to cave in on this, we might not agree on everything but I always considered you to be someone who would stand up for your rights. You give this right away, you will be at the mercy of those who control the media. This could very well be the most important issue of our time and there won't be any do overs. We give up our rights now then we will give them up permanently.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 09:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Americans abdicated all of that authority when we let the federal government dictate who is allowed to use specific parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, Danni."

Actually, exactly the opposite is true but then that senile old man Reagan abolished the Fairness Doctrine and Bill Clinton signed the Telecommunications ACt of 1996 which allowed big corporations to buy up all the radio and TV stations which were previously owned by thousands of different individuals and corporations and provided a wide variety of view, reporting, etc. Try to find a progressive station in most markets today. And don't even try to tell me progressive radio wasn't profitable, the highest rated station in S. Florida was the one that featured Neil Rogers, who was very progressive, and he owned that market for many years. Commercials on his show were sold out, and expensive, I know because I advertised on it. Rachel Maddow used to have a very popular radio show, then a corporation bought the station and replaced her with another sports program that no one listens to. Ratings dropped to negligible but they eliminated a progressive voice which was their intention. Now, you want to let them do the same thing to the internet.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 10:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It might occur to you, BTW, that this forum we post on would likely not be here when they take over the net.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 10:07 AM | Reply

Our company cannot run without broadband. Broadband will come once the righties realize that without it they are missing out on millions of potential customers. Brick and Mortar is like the horse drawn carriage. There are still some around but most have moved on.

#20 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-02-17 10:44 AM | Reply

#17 You're ascribing positions to me, Danni. I think net neutrality is a good thing. My concern is that there are people who believe that broadband is a necessity....like food, water, shelter and companionship. It is not. If it all went away today, humanity would continue to persevere. Some might argue that we'd be better off without the constant barrage of data. I believe I've heard that referred to as "information without wisdom".

#16 Awww, it breaks my heart to know you have so little respect for me...... Just kidding. I sleep fine at night, because the opinion of a nom-de-plume on a discussion board means zero to me.

#21 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-02-17 11:20 AM | Reply

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete

So you are saying it is a 'right'?

#22 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-02-17 11:21 AM | Reply

Remember when it was Imaginary Obamas fault rural America was dying?

Now look at you tools. Defending corporate America in its war on rural living.

why am I not surprised!

#23 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-02-17 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

There has always been trade offs when considering whether to live in a rural or urban location and there always will be. This is just one of them.

If you don't want to live in an area that has a heavy population density< I don't blame you. But that means that certain infrastructure isn't going to be available to you.

Technology will alleviate this over time but I don't see people having to deal with the predictable consequences of their decisions as a major problem.

#24 | Posted by Sully at 2017-02-17 11:34 AM | Reply

Tomorrow musitang is going to demand the end of the US postal service claiming it's not "a necessity" since you can go to the FedEx store. Then, as a topping to his hot fudge sundae of dishonesty, claim someone else is ruining rural America and rural American life

#25 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-02-17 11:37 AM | Reply

"My concern is that there are people who believe that broadband is a necessity....like food, water, shelter and companionship. It is not."

Yeah. A free press is not a necessity either. Not like food. What interest do you think your argument serves, Mustang?

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-02-17 12:16 PM | Reply

Isn't Hughesnet available in rural areas?

#27 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Yeah. A free press is not a necessity either. Not like food."

Just ask the Chinese.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2017-02-17 12:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is just a ploy to keep the rural areas red. Without fast internet, there is no way they can fact check Orange Foolius, and we know they'll never see any fact checking on Faux Spews.

#29 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2017-02-17 02:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh nuts ... I gave away my internal modem card with my 486DX-66! 28K was the -------, and I gave it away! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

#30 | Posted by john47 at 2017-02-18 10:17 AM | Reply

MADA!

Make America Dial-Up Again

#31 | Posted by dibblda at 2017-02-18 01:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Yay for google fiber. I'll get my novelty service soon, I became a "customer " back in December when they announced they were running lines in my neighborhood. By early sign up they waived the set up fee. Now they are digging at the front of the neighborhood so any day now for the same price as 300Mb TWC I'll get 1Gb Google.

#32 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-02-18 01:47 PM | Reply

That whole internet thing is just a novelty.

#33 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-02-18 02:26 PM | Reply