Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Actor Harrison Ford was involved in a potentially serious incident on Monday as he was piloting his private plane, a single engine Husky, NBC News has learned. Ford, an experienced pilot who collects vintage planes, had been instructed to land on runway 20-L at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California but mistakenly aimed for a taxiway instead. His plane passed over the top of an American Airlines 737 loaded with 110 passengers and a six-person crew.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Ford, 74, was captured on air traffic control recordings asking, "Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?" Air traffic controllers then informed Ford that he had landed on a taxiway rather than the runway. Landing on a taxiway is a violation of Federal Aviation Administration safety rules.

Comments

1999 - crash-landed a helicopter during a flight lesson in Ventura County, California.
2000 - Ford's six-seater Beechcraft Bonanza scraped the runway during an emergency landing at Nebraska's Lincoln Municipal Airport.
2015 - crash-landed a World War II-era airplane on a Santa Monica golf course after the engine failed, suffering a broken arm and minor head injuries.
2017 - near miss with 737

Looks like it's time to hang up the 'ol spurs, Mr. Ford.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-02-14 04:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope they take his license and his earring.

#2 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-02-14 05:04 PM | Reply

Now we know why they killed him off in Star Wars. I don't like 74 year olds driving in supermarket parking lots let alone an airplane.

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2017-02-14 05:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Cue the Indiana Jones theme song!

#4 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2017-02-14 05:14 PM | Reply

"2017 - near miss with 737"

Both I and George Carlin still don't understand why they call it a near miss.

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-02-14 05:19 PM | Reply

and his earring.

#2 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-02-14 05:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

That thing is horrible. The only worse celebrity earring I can think of is Lawrence Taylor's (which is the least of his problems).

Also, someone needs to tell Ford that Han Solo and Indiana Jones are essentially the same character. For some reason he insisted that Solo be killed off but is open to making another Jones movie even after that last debacle where they made Shia Lebouff his son.

#6 | Posted by Sully at 2017-02-14 05:19 PM | Reply

Never tell me the odds.

#7 | Posted by worldasifindit at 2017-02-15 10:34 PM | Reply

I've read that he also did a lot of SAR work in personal aircraft? Is that true?

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-02-15 11:13 PM | Reply

Piece of cake for the pilot of the Millennium Falcon.

#9 | Posted by anton at 2017-02-16 05:37 AM | Reply

I had a guy take off from a taxiway on me way back in the day. After we established contact I asked him why he didnt contact Tower for takeoff clearance. He answered "I could see that you were really busy, and I didnt want to be a bother. It's no big deal, Tower, at home, I just land in a grass field".

True story.

#10 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-02-16 09:38 AM | Reply

As long as he can keep passing his medical, he's free to continue flying. Even once he loses it, he can transition to a more limited Sports Pilot license and fly a great variety of new aircraft that the change in FAA regulation opened up the market to.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-02-17 07:45 AM | Reply