Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Monica Crowley, Donald Trump's choice for a top national security communications position, plagiarized multiple sections of her dissertation for her Columbia University Ph.D. in international relations, according to a Politico Magazine investigation published Tuesday. Politico found more than a dozen instances in which Crowley borrowed text from scholarly works on U.S. foreign policy with minimal changes for her 2000 dissertation "Clearer Than Truth: Determining and Preserving Grand Strategy: The Evolution of American Policy Toward the People's Republic of China Under Truman and Nixon." Some sections were copied directly, while others were paraphrased without proper attribution.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

No wonder he likes Crowley. She steals almost as much as he does.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-01-10 05:49 PM | Reply

Hacked by Russians.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-01-10 05:55 PM | Reply

I was scared -------- of accidently plagiarizing in my master's thesis. I went to painstaking lengths to ensure I covered all my bases.

And I simply graduated from a State school; nothing close to Columbia. I feel sad for her. Not pity, just sad.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-01-10 05:55 PM | Reply

I agree Rstybeach. I also was terrified to improperly cite a source. My master's thesis also used a survey of some of the most senior and knowledgeable military IT leaders. I think I was more afraid that when I defended it, it wouldn't be given credibility. I was mortified at the prospect of a senior military general asking me, "What are you trying to do here?" or "This makes no sense, what are you doing?"

I ended up getting a few accolades and some constructive criticism. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I plagiarized.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2017-01-10 06:44 PM | Reply

Cheaters never prosper ... unless you work for FOX News.

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-01-10 08:14 PM | Reply

Cheaters never prosper ... unless you work for FOX News.

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf

Or any republican organization. Cheating people out of votes has allowed them to prosper considerably.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-01-10 10:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In probably any other episode like this involving a "liberal" that person would be driven out of public life. Apparently though, conservatives are pretty ok with plagiarism. Trump obviously is. Ethics will not be an issue in the Trump Presidency, we already knew, but they didn't have to make it so obvious.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-01-10 10:33 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY DANNI

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-01-10 10:39 PM | Reply

plagiarizing*

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-01-10 10:41 PM | Reply

THROWN OUT OF HARVARD for cheating...

I didn't have to worry much about this on my masters...no thesis but an extensive analysis of two major works....conducting brass choir-orchestra and wind ensemble on concerts....but I knew some musicology people who were as thorough as some of you apparently were...

#10 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-10 11:31 PM | Reply

nice deflection.

#11 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-01-10 11:36 PM | Reply

THROWN OUT OF HARVARD for cheating...

...after which he immediately enlisted in the US Army, then re-entered Harvard 2 years later and graduated in 1956.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-01-10 11:42 PM | Reply

Joe Biden was caught plagerizering...

No kidding... I remember all the shrieking about the hideousness of that during the campaign.

It's ok now though, right?

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-01-10 11:45 PM | Reply

It's ok now though, right?
#13 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Well, Joe Biden was able to overcome that youthful mistake. As such, I will predict that an instance plagerism from almost two decades ago won't end up affecting Monica Crowley's professional ambitions too much.

Doesn't make plagerism right or worth it, but getting caught in it doesn't seem to sideline politico-types for long.

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-01-10 11:54 PM | Reply

When I mentioned the other day to a friend that Crowley had a PhD from Columbia, the first thing he said was, "I wonder if she plagiarized her dissertation? Seems like Columbia should look into that." Bingo!

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-01-11 12:09 AM | Reply

plagiarized multiple sections of her dissertation, IF so, then she is in good company, so did Martin Luther King. At least we can see what wrote- not the case with a past editor of the Harvard Law Review. Or any thing he wrote at Columbia.

#16 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-01-11 09:38 AM | Reply

Plagiarizing in a dissertation is - and damn well should be - sufficient cause to revoke the degree.

#17 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 02:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think a more suitable punishment would be to banish her to teaching at a Juco and make her spend time on the DR claiming to be a "Doc".

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2017-01-11 02:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Haul your fat ass down from the peanut gallery, Eberly, write a dissertation, earn a PhD sometime, then we'll talk.

#19 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 03:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

By the way, what Eberly ridicules as "Junco" - he means community college but is too ignorant to know that - is often a great place for people to get oriented, get what they need. Why he's so snooty about it, I do not know. I've taught c.c. classes at the start, ended up at a Research-1 institution - and enjoyed it pretty much all the way.

I wonder if Eberly's problem is he got bounced from some c.c. in his beloved Brownbackistan.

#20 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 03:18 PM | Reply

Junco - Juco

#21 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 03:23 PM | Reply

LOL

don't come too unglued, jucodoc. I pay for the juco you dwell inside of.

you're welcome.

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2017-01-11 03:30 PM | Reply

anyone know if candy crowley is available?

#23 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-01-11 03:33 PM | Reply

Sorry, Eb, but you pay for nothing as to my living - unlike you, I escaped Brownbackistan.
I know it gnaws at you.
But there it is.
You're just plain stuck.
In a prairie rut.

#24 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 03:37 PM | Reply

"It appears you have had to "escape" places......geez. no surprise there."

Doc has NEVER escaped academia, Eb. Just like he admitted in #20, he has spent his entire life in one "hallowed hall" after another. Hell, he probably doesn't even know how to drive a car. His expertise in the molding of young minds and that of his peers is evidenced by the products we see every day. They all do well in political correctness and "protests" but don't know which two countries border the U.S. or which country we fought in the Revolution. You gotta admit though, he DOES do fairly well with poetry and cute posts on the DR though.

#26 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2017-01-11 04:15 PM | Reply

Of course it gnaws at you.
You're just too intimidated by adverse circumstance to admit it.

#27 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-01-11 04:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Joe Biden was caught plagerizering and eventually made it to VP during his political career."...Gonoles

"save the sanctimonious balderdash.....STILL A HERO and leftist ICON even in death is Ted Kennedy..
THROWN OUT OF HARVARD for cheating..."...Afkabl

I'm SURE you guys are aware that punishment for something like plagiarizing ONLY applies to conservatives, not "progressives." I've known that for decades and am not one bit surprised that "progressive" offenders are usually adored and promoted.

#28 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2017-01-11 04:45 PM | Reply

Will Columbia withdrawal her PhD the way her publisher has pulled her book:

HarperCollins pulls Trump pick Monica Crowley's book amid plagiarism revelations

money.cnn.com

#29 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-01-11 04:54 PM | Reply

FF

you're funny when you're trying to be taken serious.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2017-01-11 05:12 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-

doesn't erase his expulsion.....

#31 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-11 09:29 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2017-0

there's already been TWO comments post comment...one ignores this expulsion and the other just makes a half hearted attempt with two words..

#32 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-11 09:30 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-

and then he went home and began his "career" I'd LOVE to hear some stories about that time. I'd ask
MARY JO KOPHECNE...but she's not available to comment.

#33 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-11 09:31 PM | Reply

I'd LOVE to hear some stories about that time.

I'd LOVE to hear your opinion on the topic of the thread instead of 45 year old deflections.

My breath, however, I will not hold.

#34 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-01-11 09:49 PM | Reply

MARY JO KOPHECNE...but she's not available to comment.

Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-11 09:31 PM | Reply

I'd ask how Michael Douglas feels about that but he too is dead. They in glass parties really shouldn't throw stones.

#35 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-01-11 09:56 PM | Reply

I'd ask how Michael Douglas feels about that but he too is dead.

Got one of your famous links for that?

#36 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-01-11 09:59 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-01-10 11:31 PM | Reply

Balderdash. Analyzing Air For Band and conducting the Patterson Chorale is not masters work at any school.

#37 | Posted by e1g1 at 2017-01-12 09:42 PM | Reply