Thursday, December 01, 2016

An anesthesiologist at Denver Health Medical Center has been suspended from seeing patients after a racially objectionable social media post. Michelle Herren posted a photo of First Lady Michelle Obama on Facebook yelling and wrote, "Monkey face and poor ebonic English! There! I feel better and am still not racist! Just calling it like it is!" Herren said in a phone interview she was taken out of context and didn't realize saying Obama has a "monkey face" is offensive. Denver Health wrote on Facebook, "Her views are contrary to the mission and values of Denver Health, and to our staff and patients. Denver Health proudly serves people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and social backgrounds -- and our staff and patient population truly reflect our diverse community and nation."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Did she not get the Bigot's Weekly email that they can lay off the First Family now and circle the wagons to defend Donald for the next 4 years and 49 days?

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-01 10:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The 1st Amendment is such a bitch...

#2 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-01 10:09 PM | Reply

The 1st Amendment is such a bitch...

...when your employer has a Code of Ethics.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-01 10:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

What is unethical about it?

#4 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-01 10:26 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by Prolix247

That sort of stupidity is inexcusable.

#5 | Posted by Angrydad at 2016-12-01 10:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

What is unethical about it?

The part about the employer having a Code of Ethics, which she violated.

It's actually a pretty simple and common concept.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-01 10:42 PM | Reply

How was it unethical?

You did not answer your contention?

#7 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-01 10:45 PM | Reply

That part.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-01 10:49 PM | Reply

#8 Game, Set, Match, Redial

#9 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-12-01 10:53 PM | Reply

This is not a 1st Amendment issue. I would be willing to bet her employer has an employee conduct policy that includes social media.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-12-01 11:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The 1st Amendment is such a bitch...

#2 | Posted by Prolix247

The 1st Amendment constrains the Government from restricting speech. Private citizens and companies are not constrained by the Constitution.

#12 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 11:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Nobody prevented her from speaking. She was free to speak.

'Free' does not mean 'without potential consequence'.

She paid the cost. Hope she enjoyed the ride.

And anybody who thinks the First Lady is not a well spoken is listening to their hate, not her speech.

#13 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-12-01 11:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

You would think a Doctor would be smarter than this. People need to learn that you just can't act like this anymore. Cameras are on every phone nowadays too. You had beeter watch what you say around others or you might just get yourself in hot water nowadays.

#14 | Posted by byrdman at 2016-12-02 12:25 AM | Reply

People need to learn that you just can't act like this anymore.

It's long past "people need to learn" times.

If you haven't figured out yet that what you post online on social media has the potential to blow up in your face you're never going to learn.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2016-12-02 01:20 AM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY JPW

The internet is forever. Once it's out there it's always out there.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-12-02 01:23 AM | Reply

What is it with people needing to act like middle-schoolers?

#17 | Posted by TheTom at 2016-12-02 01:30 AM | Reply

An alt-right racist???? Who would have guessed???

< sarcasm off >

#18 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2016-12-02 03:17 AM | Reply

It's all good you guys.

She said she's not racist.

Based on her description of Michelle Obama.

She must be blind and suffering from mental retardation.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-12-02 03:32 AM | Reply

And this is a college educated person.

When did college educated people start being so dumb?

#21 | Posted by kudzu at 2016-12-02 06:14 AM | Reply

When did college educated people start being so dumb? -- #21 | Posted by kudzu

I put myself through grad school waiting tables and tending bar, and was stunned to discover how backward many professors and grad students were. Many had never really talked to a black person, a gay person, or a professional woman. At best you could hope for academic curiosity and tolerance from that set when they talked about "those people"- not warmth, or any sense that they/we (I'm a woman) were human beings just like them. They NEED PC rules in place to keep them from making total asses of themselves.

At night I worked with restaurant/bar staff who had always worked with people of different races, gay people, and of course both men and women. Everyone got along, we were in and out of each others' homes, etc. If I could make enough money, I'd be back there in a second.

#24 | Posted by Phoenix at 2016-12-02 07:18 AM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY PHOENIX

I understand, but i'm not just talking about prejudices. etc....

I am talking about intellectual laziness, apathy, and lack of personal responsibility. (prejudice is just one symptom of this disease.)

#25 | Posted by kudzu at 2016-12-02 07:38 AM | Reply

#25 | Posted by kudzu

Why are you surprised to see this in well-educated people? I see it all the time - people who grew up with silver spoons in their mouths and succeed not through talent or hard work, but because they know how to play the game - who to flatter, etc.

#26 | Posted by Phoenix at 2016-12-02 07:49 AM | Reply

Ah, the old "out of context" excuse – what a joke.

Imagine you run a company, and one of your more high-profile employees says something that offends half of your customer base. That's why Denver Health felt compelled to act. Racist comments can harm its reputation as a health center that professes to be open to all, and could even hurt its bottom line if patients, referring physicians and others decide not to use its services. Such concerns are the basis for social media policies.

The fact that "monkey face" and "poor ebonic English" in describing an African-American first lady (who actually speaks quite well, whatever you think of her politics) doesn't equate to racism to this doctor is really all you need to know about her.

#27 | Posted by cbob at 2016-12-02 09:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sounds like a violation of his rights of free speech.

#28 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-12-02 09:47 AM | Reply

I know well-educated people can be dumb, like anybody else, but I'm still surprised that an anesthesiologist at a large hospital wouldn't realize that calling Michelle Obama "monkey face" and saying she speaks in "ebonics" was so racist it put her job in jeopardy.

Herren's already lost one of her jobs over this:

www.denverpost.com

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2016-12-02 10:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sounds like a violation of his rights of free speech.

You don't understand what the First Amendment covers. It's about restricting the government from punishing speech.

You don't have the right to say offensive things and not get fired by your private employer.

#30 | Posted by rcade at 2016-12-02 10:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Why would any concerned parent trust a doctor like this who has the life of their minority-colored baby in their hands?

#31 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-02 10:07 AM | Reply

"Herren said in a phone interview she was taken out of context and didn't realize saying Obama has a "monkey face" is offensive."

She's not just racist, she's also clearly a liar. She knew that was racist, she deserves what she got.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-02 10:22 AM | Reply

Back in '08 Shell Oil fired a slew of engineering folks for passing around bigoted emails about Obama. I actually got one in my inbox. I got really nervous and sent a response detailing how ugly it was and not to ever send me another one. I think thats the only reason IT didn't show up at my desk.

#33 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-12-02 10:27 AM | Reply

My guess is that her significant other isn't sending deadly weapons to a country that helped facilitate 9-11 in order to help accidentally bomb Yemeni civilians, so, why there may be a good reason to fire her, I really don't get caught up in worrying about this sort of nonsense.

#34 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 10:44 AM | Reply

It's still hilarious how it was only 8 years ago when it was ok to refer to our President as a monkey. Even create all kinds of pictures of him with monkey ears and create all sorts of memes with him looking like a monkey. But as soon as Obama got in office, it was taboo and racist. Hypocritical Liberal rhymes for a reason...

#35 | Posted by humtake at 2016-12-02 11:07 AM | Reply

"It's still hilarious how it was only 8 years ago when it was ok to refer to our President as a monkey"

Especially knowing full well that G.W. Bush was African-American.

#36 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 11:12 AM | Reply

G.W. Bush was African-American.

#36 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02

I heard he was only half-Black?

#37 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-02 11:31 AM | Reply

I never heard of anyone calling GW Bush a monkey....not one time.

Everyone knows he looks more like a chimp.

#38 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-12-02 11:40 AM | Reply

"I heard he was only half-Black?"

Really? I heard his great grandma Lucretia was in blackface when she gave birth to the mother of GHWB...
Of course, that could be just alt-left fake-news of the late 19th century internet for all I know.

#39 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 11:49 AM | Reply

"Everyone knows he looks more like a chimp"

I always thought he looked more like a rhesus macaque...

Or even a bit like a Reese's peanut butter pumpkin. Not that I'm a racist or a full-time agent of an unnamed, anti-peanut lobby.

#40 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 11:53 AM | Reply

www.npr.org

www.huffingtonpost.com

#41 | Posted by Petrous at 2016-12-02 12:00 PM | Reply

#40 Okay, a cross between Curious George (who is a chimp I believe/hope) and the Reese's pumpkin.

Seriously, if you (rhetorical you) don't understand the difference between calling W a monkey and Michelle Obama a monkey, I frankly don't believe you.

#42 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-12-02 12:12 PM | Reply

#28 - TMaster - If you want your comments to be taken seriously - and that is a very big if for most on here - you need to at least get the sex of the subject right. It's not "his" but "her" rights of free speech. If you can't get that right, what chance the subtleties of the first amendment?

#43 | Posted by Foreigner at 2016-12-02 12:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#39 | Posted by pumpkinhead

Does it anger you for W. to be called half-black? Perhaps you could explain?

#44 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-02 01:00 PM | Reply

#44, not to butt in but I will, re-read the comment #39, again Pumpkin's prose is, as per usual, poetic. 19th Century internet....lol, almost spit tea. Well done sir.

#45 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-12-02 02:09 PM | Reply

ichisama.ddns.net

ichisama.ddns.net

#46 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-12-02 02:48 PM | Reply

"Does it anger you for W. to be called half-black? Perhaps you could explain?"

Initially, yes it did. But I soon learned, rather by chance, through a cerebral MRI ordered after a particularly grisly Ninebot mishap, that my excessive anger was most likely due to an undiagnosed colloidal cyst pressing upon the clavichordial fluxus of my right temporal lobe. After removal of the cyst (and a greater portion of the lobe), I have learned to let go of my anger and hatred regarding such trivialities. Of course, I still have a terrible time remembering how to pee, but I still have to say it was worth it in the end.

#47 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 03:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#45 my #47 is for you. :-)

#48 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-02 03:08 PM | Reply

#8 - so making a rude, boorish comment about a public person is now a means to question one's ethics and an opportunity for retribution?

Many dictators and fascist would agree with you.

Do you think the outcome would be the same if it was a comment about Trump?

I don't.

Happens here every day and it's applauded.

#49 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 04:38 PM | Reply

Many dictators and fascist would agree with you.

So would many HR Directors.

#50 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 04:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So you think an HR person should dictate your private life and monitor your thoughts and words?

To me that is a dystopian view of personal freedom. I would imagine you support the NSA and Patriot act also?

This is why Democrats were voted into the wilderness.

#51 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 06:31 PM | Reply

No, but if you do something sufficiently public and stupid that it comes to the attention of your HR group, you may well be sanctioned. The company I work for has rules on what you can and cannot do on social media outlets, and it you don't abide by them you could get your ass canned.

#52 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 06:46 PM | Reply

Facebook, Twitter, DR are private not public domains. As has been pointed out above.

It is analogous to opening ones private diary and being shocked at what you find.

Should HR be able to discipline you for what you write in a diary?

#53 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 07:06 PM | Reply

If a condition of employment is not posting certain content on social media, and you do, you violate a condition of employment.

If you violate a condition of employment, you are subject to discipline or termination.

It's really pretty simple.

#54 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 07:21 PM | Reply

It's not a simple as you think.

People see things in 360 degrees with all the emotional attachments involved. Some could see humor in her post, some could see racism.

Which view is correct?

Should one be punished for differing views?

This is not a national security issue, it it a basic human nature issue.

It is a judgement call with punishment attached.

#55 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 07:37 PM | Reply

It's not a simple as you think.

Yes it is. Violate conditions of employment and you could be subject to penalties.

#56 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 07:47 PM | Reply

What violation are you referring to so blindly?

#57 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 08:05 PM | Reply

Go away troll. Did Snoofy hack your account?

#58 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 08:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#57 - So do you propose that a private company should not be allowed to terminate employees based on their own conditions? Who get to decide those conditions, you?

My bet is that you aren't so bothered by a private company firing an employee, you just pissed that even though trump won the presidency your still not allowed to be openly bigoted.

#59 | Posted by schmanch at 2016-12-02 08:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#58- That's what I thought. Your a lemming. The crowd went that way >

#59 - I believe an employers ability to judge my job performance stops when I leave the building. Let me ask you a question? What color does one need to be to be a bigot? I'm considered a minority even though I'm white skinned? Where do I fit?

#60 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 09:39 PM | Reply

That depends on who you work for. Burger King could probably care less. Others might.

#61 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-02 09:51 PM | Reply

Redial, I have worked in both the public and private sectors. Upper level positions. I say your wrong. The only restriction I ever faced was in the military because I had a clearance.

If your subjecting yourself for your job that's on you. It's not the way it's suppose to be. You're a serf living under your masters rules.

#62 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-02 10:21 PM | Reply

This is why Democrats were voted into the wilderness.

#51 | Posted by Prolix247

LOL

You retards are already dreaming up reasons for Trump winning to avoid acknowledging being had.

#63 | Posted by jpw at 2016-12-03 03:52 AM | Reply

What?!?

#64 | Posted by jpw at 2016-12-03 03:53 AM | Reply

#63 | Posted by jpw at 2016-12-03 03:52 AM | Reply | Flag

In what world do you live in to think those who voted for trump actually think they think they have been had?

#65 | Posted by Crassus at 2016-12-03 05:16 AM | Reply

#65 | POSTED BY CRASSUS AT 2016-12-03 05:16 AM | REPLY

They'd have to be cognizant of reality in order to do so.

So in this. You are correct.

#66 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-12-03 05:56 AM | Reply

It just kills you that Trump is the elected and some how you think above those who elected him...what arrogance.

#67 | Posted by Crassus at 2016-12-03 06:25 AM | Reply

Arrogance requires an exaggerated opinion of one's self.
Your accusation is illogical and inaccurate.

#68 | Posted by YAV at 2016-12-03 08:32 AM | Reply

Arrogance leads to failure.

I did not vote for Trump.

Sore loser...

#69 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-03 11:40 AM | Reply

I'm considered a minority even though I'm white skinned? Where do I fit?

#60 | POSTED BY PROLIX247 AT 2016-12-02 09:39 PM | FLAG:

You'll be taking the first step by realizing you're not a visible minority or woman.

Them you can stop using your personal successes as proof discrimination doesn't exist.

#70 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-12-03 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Posted by Prolix247

Your stupidity is appalling. Or else you're just being a jackass.

50/50.

#71 | Posted by Angrydad at 2016-12-03 02:08 PM | Reply

I believe an employers ability to judge my job performance stops when I leave the building. --- #60 | Posted by Prolix247

In a lot of jobs, your image reflects on your employer, like it or not. Believing that facebook is private is pretty dumb.

#72 | Posted by Phoenix at 2016-12-03 02:23 PM | Reply

In a lot of jobs, your image reflects on your employer, like it or not.

Exactly.

#73 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-12-03 02:39 PM | Reply

The anesthesiologist's comment were above the pale, but can we at least be honest about her giant ass?

#74 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2016-12-03 03:19 PM | Reply

Her comments were beyond the pale too!

#75 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2016-12-03 03:21 PM | Reply

It looks like the repug heifer ate Chris Christie.

some text

#76 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2016-12-03 03:28 PM | Reply

...but can we at least be honest about her giant ass?

Booty is in the eye of the beholder.

#77 | Posted by madscientist at 2016-12-03 03:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#71 - is that what you think about people with differing opinions? People here are doing the same thing they are criticizing this woman for. Completely unaware, follow the lemmings right off the cliff.

Sad...

Bruce I know discrimination. You have no idea of the insights I've had being a white minority. People treat me differently if they see me or my last name. I've seen people stop midstream in their racist rants when they realize I'm not White to them. Even though I am white. I live it every day.

#78 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-12-03 07:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

So where's your empathy TROLLIX247?

#79 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-12-03 07:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

where are all the ethical doctors protestesting the unreasonable high costs of medical care? under your bed?

#80 | Posted by mutant at 2016-12-03 09:09 PM | Reply

#80 | POSTED BY MUTANT

They're out there, you just have to look.

#81 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-12-03 09:33 PM | Reply

#78 | POSTED BY PROLIX247 AT 2016-12-03 07:34 PM | FLAG:

You may be surprised by the diversity here.

#82 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-12-03 09:47 PM | Reply