Thursday, December 01, 2016

A new poll by the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation has found that only 1 in 4 Americans wants President Barack Obama's health care law to be repealed by his successor. Since the election, the number of Republicans who say they want Obamacare to be repealed has dropped from 69 percent to 52 percent. President-elect Donald Trump said during the campaign that he'd repeal the law, a move that would cost millions of Americans their health insurance and disrupt the already struggling health insurance market. Among people who favor repeal, 42 percent want that to wait until a replacement is in place.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

So then, at least some who don't want Obamacare repealed stupidly voted for those who promised they would repeal it. But hey, at least they didn't vote for that evil Hillary Clinton. Imbeciles are easily taken advantage of.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-01 10:34 AM | Reply

Only one in four? Well, that seems like a mandate.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-01 10:38 AM | Reply

Imbeciles are easily taken advantage of.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-01 10:34 AM | Reply | Flag

Anyone recall the comic strip "Li'l Abner". It was populated by beings called shmoos. The sole ambition of any shmoo was to hang around long enough to get eaten.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-01 10:40 AM | Reply

Zed, you beat me to it. I was just about to make a snarky comment about the supposed mandate.

"Oh, we didn't want you to actually do what you said you'd do!"

#4 | Posted by cbob at 2016-12-01 10:41 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-12-01 10:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

So you mean 3 out of 4 want someone else to pay for their healthcare.

#6 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 10:44 AM | Reply

So you mean 3 out of 4 want someone else to pay for their healthcare.

#6 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-

No, we mean Donald is a liar, con, and a hypocrite.

Most, if not all, comments in regards to political philosophy are meaningless until you take care of that.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-01 10:46 AM | Reply

"So you mean 3 out of 4 want someone else to pay for their healthcare."

Get back to us when you have a life threatening disease and Obamacare isn't there to insure that your provider won't drop you like a hot rock. They will, depend on that.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-01 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by danni at 2016

FEDERALIST intends to live forever, and without paying taxes.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-01 10:55 AM | Reply

"repeal" isn't even possible.

This poll and its accompanying thread is just to be divisive.

#5 | POSTED BY MODER8

Is it still ObamaCare? I recall Liberals wanting to distance themselves from the disaster by calling it ACA, now they want to throw it back at Obama? Wonder why?

If it is "great", the TAXPAYER made it great.

No, we mean Donald is a liar, con, and a hypocrite. - Zed

If you want your doctor you can keep your doctor.
Lower my premiums by $2500 a year?
www.youtube.com

I remember many lefties here agreeing with Obama that that is what would happen.....

Then Gruber happened..
www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-12-01 10:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I pay for my own healthcare and have for 25 years.
I gave up other things to pay for my own.

#11 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 10:59 AM | Reply

FEDERALIST intends to live forever, and without paying taxes.

#9 | Posted by Zed
Ya gotta dream!
Would that it were.

#12 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 11:07 AM | Reply

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at

ANDREA, I don't know what to tell you, buddy....

No matter what you're going to say over the next four years, or until such time as Donald is impeached, you helped elect a dishonest, cheating, disloyal, bastard.

You hired the Registered Sex Offender as your baby-sitter, telling everyone he'd start leaving the kids alone once he got the job.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2016-12-01 11:10 AM | Reply

Wtf? Seriously. Are we still doing this, Liberal media? Once again, your "polls" were proven completely wrong during the election cycle but you are still going to cling to them as if they mean anything. Believing in "polls" reported by the media on either side just makes people dumb.

#14 | Posted by humtake at 2016-12-01 11:14 AM | Reply

I pay for my own healthcare and have for 25 years. I gave up other things to pay for my own.

Some people no matter how much they give up cannot afford to pay the entire amount. Do we as a society let them suffer and die or help them?

I know Supply Side Jesus' answer, and I know Christian Jesus' answer.

Do you also pay for your own roads?

How about your own private police force or fire department?

Me neither. That is the point of society, to band together as a group and take care of everyone.

"But 4 of 5 big mouth rightwingers here on the DR want him to repeal it. Actually they don't. They just hate it that Obama achieved something great for his country."

Spot on. Actual something that was advocated for by that liberal Heritage Foundation.

#15 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-01 11:15 AM | Reply

If you want your doctor you can keep your doctor.
Lower my premiums by $2500 a year?

I have had the same doctor for 11 years. My premiums actually went down $18 per week last year. Not quite $2500, but better than up.

#16 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-01 11:16 AM | Reply

If you want your doctor you can keep your doctor.

Oh BTW, my PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY told me I can no longer see my oncologist.

Thanks Obama!

#17 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-01 11:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"If you want your doctor you can keep your doctor.
Lower my premiums by $2500 a year?"

I did keep my doctor.
He actually said he would pass a bill that would cut a family's healthcare bill by UP TO $2500.00 per year. He never promised to cut your bill by $2500. I honestly do believe my premiums would be higher right now without Obamacare but I get my insurance through my employer, like most folks do. I know one thing, I have better benefits now than I did before and I don't pay any more. I now have vision and dental coverage. I was hospitalized for three days and it didn't cost me a dime.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-01 11:22 AM | Reply

#19 | Posted by fishpaw at 2016-12-01 11:25 AM | Reply

Oh, ok. I feel much better that he kept his promise and cut ONE families cost by $2500. Glad it's working for you Danni but for the majority of the country it's not. But let's not do anything about it because it's working for Danni.

#20 | Posted by fishpaw at 2016-12-01 11:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Even though the insurance and healthcare corporations are gouging the crap out of America, and gutting the middle class, unless Trump is going to replace Obamacare with a single-payer system there's no sense in repealing it. To do so is only likely to make healthcare or the bills incurred even worse for most people.

#21 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-12-01 11:36 AM | Reply

"The ACA is having the opposite result that it intended, the costs and deductibles have become so high that people can't afford to see their Dr. for preventable care. That needs to be fixed."

"If you have a new health insurance plan or insurance policy beginning on or after September 23, 2010, the following preventive services must be covered without your having to pay a copayment or co-insurance or meet your deductible. This applies only when these services are delivered by a network provider. "

www.hhs.gov

But hey, thanks for playing.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2016-12-01 12:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Same poll that claimed Hillary will win.

#23 | Posted by JoeTheLib at 2016-12-01 12:31 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY FISHPAW AT 2016-12-01 11:29 AM | FLAG: I believe that many who love the ACA are the ones most likely receiving subsidies [our tax dollars] from the govt.

#24 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-12-01 01:02 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by 726
Last time I checked the Constitution Healthcare, cell phones, automobiles and internet access were not guaranteed there.

#25 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 01:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

25 million people or more are about to lose health insurance. Another 25 million are about to lose their tax credits.

Most of them are Trump voters.

And I could honestly care less. They are going to get exactly what they voted for.

#26 | Posted by Sycophant at 2016-12-01 01:36 PM | Reply

Same poll that claimed Hillary will win.

#23 | POSTED BY JOETHELIB

She did. She won the popular vote which is what the poll predicted.

#27 | Posted by Sycophant at 2016-12-01 01:36 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 01:23 PM | Reply | Flag:

Article 1 section 8 declares that Congress is to provide for the general welfare of the citizenry. What determines general welfare??? Congress does. Therefore your argument is bupkiss.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-12-01 01:51 PM | Reply

It's just one more indication that the right is not the majority in this country, although they insist that they are. Trump got the votes of about 25% of eligible voters in this country (about the same amount who want to repeal the law). He lost the popular vote by more than 2 million votes. More voters voted for Democrats in both the House and Senate races, but because the House is gerrymandered, and because small, rural states get as many Senators as the big populous ones, the Reps have a majority in Congress. There are more registered Democrats in the country than registered Republicans, but Republicans vote more reliably. This is largely the result of all the negative advertising, which doesn't convince anyone to vote for a candidate, but does depress turnout. Couple that with all the voter suppression (voter ID, fewer voting sites in minority neighborhoods, purging eligible voters from the rolls) and this is the result.

The RW is not the majority in this country. They can only win through distraction, disinformation, and manipulation.

#29 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 01:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hear that Saint Bernard's make the best therapy puppies, because you can always outrun them if they chase you from your safe space.

#30 | Posted by cookfish at 2016-12-01 01:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

It doesn't matter if it were zero out of four.

If Donnie "Dumpster Fire" wants to do something.

He will.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-12-01 02:02 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr

They don't read the parts of the Constitution they don't like. They only support the 2nd and 10th Amendments.

#32 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 02:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Article I, Section 8 lays out specifics. It's not all-compassing. If it was then the 10th Amendment wouldn't exist.

#33 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-12-01 02:11 PM | Reply

Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 02:08 PM | Reply

The 2nd makes them feel all manly and stuff and the 10th only applies if it's a Black man as president or it's a president they don't agree with the rest of the time they ignore the 10th.

#34 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-12-01 02:11 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-12-01 02:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

Your ignorance of the subject matter is quite telling. You're trying to make the word general mean specific and that isn't going to happen.

#35 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-12-01 02:13 PM | Reply

It is clear that "General Welfare" is to be defined by the Congress as the elected Representatives of the People. That's the whole point of representative government. It is hardly rational to interpret it otherwise.

#36 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 02:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've read Article !, Section 8 more times than I can count. I know what it says.

There's a reason why the New Deal was so repeatedly smacked down by SCOTUS, initially.

At this point, it doesn't matter. Government did what governments do - it appropriated expanding powers. The Constitution was designed to prevent that from happening, but it happened anyway and here we are.

#37 | Posted by jeffj at 2016-12-01 03:00 PM | Reply

"we didn't want you to actually do what you said you'd do!"

I'm hoping they say the same thing about forcing America's soldiers to commit war crimes, evisceration of the First Amendment, and violation of Article VI of the Constitution.

#38 | Posted by Danforth at 2016-12-01 03:06 PM | Reply

Yep partisanship like always.

#37 | Posted by jeffj at 2016-12-01 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

#39 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-12-01 04:14 PM | Reply

1 in 4 Americans. That is about what Trump got in the vote.

231,000,000 registered voters.
61,000,000 voted Trump

= 26%

#40 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-01 04:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And if your numbers are right Hillary got 27%. So whats your point other than than to cry some more?

#41 | Posted by fishpaw at 2016-12-01 04:30 PM | Reply

#40 | Posted by 726
Fuzzy math.

#42 | Posted by Federalist at 2016-12-01 07:29 PM | Reply

#41 | Posted by fishpaw

27% > 26%. Mandate? I think not. Only in the American electoral system is this possible. American Exceptionalism, yay!

#43 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-12-01 10:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The annual well visit is $0.

Try again.

#44 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-02 10:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#42 Sour grapes.

Prove the math wrong.

#45 | Posted by 726 at 2016-12-02 10:44 AM | Reply

Same thing as in 2012. Half the country votes for one, half votes for the other. One side gets ~1-2% more votes. Yet both sides cry and whine about how both sides think they are more important than the other to this country. How about instead of fighting, both sides realize that the country is split down the middle today and figure out a way to change the system to accommodate this type of generation.

#46 | Posted by humtake at 2016-12-02 11:24 AM | Reply

This is a serious question for anyone, I figured this is the best thread to ask. I've seen allegations in posters' comments, but where exactly did the Democrats waive the right to filibuster. Does anybody have a link? I've searched it before and can only find stories of the Senate debating whether or not to nuke the filibuster, but as far as I can tell, the filibuster, at least in the Senate, is still in fair play.

Was there a separate concession made about appointments? If so, then how did the Merrick Garland fiasco happen?

Even Republicans know that turnabout is fair play (not so sure if the Dems ever will with their tendency to fold), so I can't imagine the decision to nuke the filibuster would be made haphazardly. Unless I am missing something, the Dems need to block everything the Repubs do via filibuster and let them make that choice to nuke or not.

Seriously, is there something I'm missing or are people just assuming the filibuster is dead? Please verify.

#47 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-12-02 02:21 PM | Reply

What horsesheit! Who did they poll , the Democrat National committee? Local hospitals are swamped by Obamacare patients who have a $3000 or more deductible which means they can't pay their doctors so they swamp our ER's where we have to treat them and they don't pay a damn dime. Oh sure, the dipstick Democrats and their suckazz friends in the media trumpet about the 20 million that now have health insurance, but it doesn't mean squat. My wife's insurance is more EACH MONTH than if I leased two, TWO!!! FULLY EQUIPPED!! Lexus high end cars each month just so the damn DEMOCRATS could rave about deadbeats getting insurance which doesn't pay for squat. And the chicken droppings in the media parrot (NO PUN INTENDED) all the "success" of Obamacare. Still wonder why Trump handed them their asses in a lunch bucket?

#48 | Posted by bumpkin44 at 2016-12-02 09:04 PM | Reply