Thursday, December 01, 2016

New research finds that psilocybin, the long-banned active compound in magic mushrooms, helps cancer patients deal with the anxiety, depression and fear of death that often accompanies the disease. Two studies published Thursday found that a single dose of psilocybin reduced negative feelings for months at a time while increasing optimism, feelings of connection with other people, and mystical and spiritual experiences. The findings, which appeared in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, are from clinical trials at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and New York University Langone Medical Center.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

One patient's experience: "The anxiety disappeared, and I felt total joy. I felt an acceptance of the world as it is and myself as I am ... I learned to live in a new way, not governed by fear. The drug gave me time to recover and learn some new life skills ... The main one was meditating every day."

Comments

I'm seeing double!

#1 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-12-01 09:15 AM | Reply

Lol

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-12-01 09:39 AM | Reply

The last time I took mushrooms I swore I had a rare form of skin cancer.

Now they are saying that if I really have cancer and take mushrooms I will think I don't?

#3 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-01 09:48 AM | Reply

The last time I took shrooms I promised Jesus that if He could get me back down from Magic Land I would never touch them again.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-12-01 10:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2016-12-01 10:32 AM | FLAG:

Never did shrooms but about 6 years ago a friend of mine gave me some of the "fake" weed and I had a similar talk with Jesus.

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-12-01 04:21 PM | Reply

"The last time I took mushrooms I swore I had a rare form of skin cancer.
#3 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD"

That was your fault. Next time, don't look at your skin, and definitely don't look in the mirror at your face.

#6 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2016-12-01 06:27 PM | Reply

Always wanted to try LSD but never had the chance.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-12-01 06:30 PM | Reply

Thanks to trump, we have an attorney general who once joked he was fine with the KKK til he learned they smoke weed.

Any medical benefits that illegal drugs may offer to suffering americans are going to have to wait until america stops electing conservatives.

Until then, the "personal liberty" party is going to continue to lock up people for altering their own brain chemistry, and prevent suffering people from getting relief, all before hammering back a few whiskeys at the bar.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2016-12-01 06:53 PM | Reply

#6 Montecore,

People used to make Harry and the Henderson jokes about my looks. On one mushroom adventure I looked in the mirror and I saw it too, I laughed and laughed.

Laura, start with shrums, 5 6 hours, lsd is a much longer commitment. Prepare.

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2016-12-01 07:05 PM | Reply

Having said that, it's not for everybody.

Your results may vary.