Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Journalist Hunter S. Thompson, who so memorably wrote about drifting through Las Vegas with a "car full of marijuana and head full of acid," is destined for immortality of the cannabis variety. Marijuana strains of the same stuff he enjoyed while he was alive will be officially labeled with his Gonzo brand and sold in Colorado. The plants will be cloned or hybridized from six strains that he smoked, according to his widow Anita Thompson. "I'm looking forward to being a drug lord," she joked.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Other star marijuana strains include the Marley Natural, created by a Silicon Valley-backed weed startup that licensed Bob Marley's likeness. In April 2015, Willie Nelson announced Willie's Reserve, which he claimed was "the best on the market."

Snoop Dogg has his own marijuana strain, as does rapper Riff Raff. (LA Weekly reported that Riff Raff was perusing a California dispensary's wares and, struck by how purple one plant appeared, declared he wanted the strain to be his.) In January, actor and noted marijuana enthusiast Tommy Chong said his strain was for sale in 23 locations across the state of Washington. And musician Melissa Etheridge markets a "Private Reserve Cannabis Infused Wine Tincture" on her website.

Comments

Hi Sarvis. How ya been, old dog?

Does anyone know if in states where recreations weed is legal, drug tests still test for weed?

#1 | Posted by kudzu at 2016-11-30 08:03 AM | Reply

1 | Posted by kudzu at 2016-11-3

yes they do at least in Wa state they do

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2016-11-30 08:13 AM | Reply

Putting the HST strain on the wishlist next to the Jack Herer strain..

Looking forward to seeing how wide of a net FL's med mj availability becomes, beginning summer 2017.

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-11-30 09:07 AM | Reply

Hiya, KUDZU

Don't know.
My guess would be, yes.
But it's just that, a guess.
Stay healthy.

#4 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-11-30 09:13 AM | Reply

Cool. I once spent an evening with Hunter, drinking Wild Turkey and Heinekens and sharing stories when he was back home in his native Kentucky. No weed though.

#5 | Posted by cbob at 2016-11-30 10:52 AM | Reply

Never been a fan of his stuff, even though some of my stuff has been compared to his. That makes sense, because I hate most of my stuff.

#6 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-11-30 11:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

My guess is they're all Sativa's. I don't care for tripping, paranoia, or panic attacks.

Give me Hindu Kush, or give me death!

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-30 11:45 AM | Reply

"Give me Hindu Kush, or give me death!"

I prefer Labrador.

#8 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-11-30 11:55 AM | Reply

-Never been a fan of his stuff

He was a great wordsmith. My favorite HST quote about the end of the 60s:

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda.… You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.…

And that, I think, was the handle -- that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting -- on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.…

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark -- that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-30 12:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Hunter Thompson's Marijuana Stash Cloned

So what?

Marijuana aficionados are as silly as wine aficionados.

Acting like they can really tell the difference between Purple hurple haze and honeydoo dank.

In reality, its either indica or sativa, or somewhere in between, with slight variations in potency. End of story.

Anybody who thinks willie nelson or hunter thompson's weed is anything special are suckers.

All that marijuana and wine aficionados have really done is made their addictions be re-labeled as hobbies.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2016-11-30 02:35 PM | Reply

#10 There's definitely a diff in taste, smell, effects, etc. It's like growing tomatoes, orchids, or roses...many varieties!

As for Thompson's strains, they're likely all landrace strains that are rare or lost. I assure you the seed bank gurus will be tripping all over themselves for a cutting.

Old skool is making a comeback. Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Thai Stick, Maui Wowee. Oh yeah!

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-30 03:27 PM | Reply

I prefer Labrador.

#8 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD

Is it a good candidate for hash?

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-30 03:28 PM | Reply

On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me,
a gram of Lebanese Hash - Oooh La La!

#13 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2016-11-30 04:12 PM | Reply

After examining and cross examining marijuana experts on numerous occasions I have learned the following: In the end, it is either Sativa or Indica. One makes you drowsier and one doesn't. Different THC levels or different growing conditions may result in different potency or 'taste'.

#14 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-11-30 05:18 PM | Reply

Just finished a good sized ball of finger hash made from AK-47.

Another one is on the way. More kif in this one.

#15 | Posted by coyote at 2016-11-30 07:49 PM | Reply

I hate all of you.......

why, because of geography, can you guys have weed, and in my Tea state, i would go to prison for it? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2016-12-01 06:38 AM | Reply

the weed kids have access to today along with the higher potentcy makes our whacky weed back in the day seem laughable. not even the same ballpark.

#17 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2016-12-01 08:28 AM | Reply

"Is it a good candidate for hash?"

I dunno. I'd have to ask my all-knowing college friend, who now goes by the name of Captain Vaporizer.

#18 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-12-01 09:52 AM | Reply

Hunter has been dead for over a decade, the strains that have been developed in the last 11 years would put anything he had to shame. Back in the seventies we could go through a 15 dollar ounce of Mexican brick in a weekend. Had my first sinsamilla in 76, first hydro in 85, first government clone stuff in 89. Didn't smoke any for 20 years while I was in the Army. The worst stuff I see now is better than some of the best I had in the 70s. Then there is exotic stuff that will get you high just being in the same room with it. Like Skunk #4.

#19 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-12-02 01:57 AM | Reply