Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Wildfires raged in and near eastern Tennessee's mountainside resort towns of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge on Tuesday, spurring thousands of evacuations and threatening homes, resorts and other businesses that are vital to the picturesque vacation hub in the southern Appalachians. More than 100 structures in Gatlinburg have been damaged and another 150 other structures have been damaged or destroyed in other parts of Sevier County. "I just see fire everywhere," said Logan Baker, who had checked into the Park Vista Hotel on Monday. The fire swept up to the hotel parking lot, he told CNN affiliate WATE. He posted videos of the hotel doors and windows glowing from the fire looming outside.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

I have a 92-year-old aunt who lives in that area. Just left a message with her. Hope she is ok, that area is gorgeous in the fall and spring.

#1 | Posted by e1g1 at 2016-11-29 01:51 PM | Reply

#1 Keep us posted. I have stayed at the Park Vista Hilton. This is breaking my heart.

#2 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2016-11-29 02:05 PM | Reply

No matter how devastating the damage may be, just remember to keep repeating..."this has nothing to do with climate change...climate change is a hoax...this has nothing to do with climate change..."

#3 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-11-29 02:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"No matter how devastating the damage may be, just remember to keep repeating..."this has nothing to do with climate change..."

LOL...Did man-made climate change bring about the warmer weather and drought here in East Tennessee or did the warm weather and drought occur as a result of La Nina and the jet stream?

"BACKGROUND: DROUGHT & LA NINA

"The record-breaking heat and dry conditions this year play a role in Todd's winter prediction. So does a pool of cool water off the coast of South American known as La Nina.

"La Nina is the opposite of last year, when a really strong El Nino with lots of warm water was off the coast of South America. That energy sent us on a rollercoaster of warm and cold weather week-to-week with lots of storms. Overall, last winter was a little colder and wetter than usual in East Tennessee," said Howell.

Switching gears from El Nino, Howell says La Nina generally means slightly warmer-than-average conditions and a little bit drier than normal in East Tennessee. However, the jet stream can still dip down low enough to deliver an icy punch.

"What we do know is we are in a severe drought. It is extremely dry. The drought is expected to possibly hang around into the next few months. That would mean these bone-dry conditions get even worse and soil moisture can affect the weather," said Howell. With all of the aforementioned factors in mind, Todd says it appears winter will arrive rather slowly with slightly warmer and drier conditions than usual, especially early on."

I gotta go with meteorologist Todd Howell's prediction.

www.wbir.com

There were some 14 fires all around us here in Sevier County and the one closest to me on English Mountain was the one in Jones Cove. It was a nervous night. We had high winds which brought down trees which brought down power lines which inginited dry tinder on the ground. The winds spread the fires rapidly. some may have been caused by arson. BUT...nobody here as yet has blamed it on global warming...except you. Thanks for your expert prognostication but I still have to remain with the local experts.

#4 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 03:27 PM | Reply

Skeptics will continue to remain skeptical, even with their livelihood burning down around them.

Global warming did not cause this fire. Neither did La Nina. In something as complex as global climate, you can't narrow any one factor as to being "the cause" of an event (whether that be drought, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc). But, you can scientifically say whether it is likely that one of those factors increased the likelihood of that event happening.

So, did it "cause" this event? Impossible to say. Does it make events like this more likely in the future? Very likely.

By the time we "prove" that global warming is causing our problems, your house will have burnt down and Florida will be underwater. So, just keep sticking your head in the sand (or in your case, the ashes?). It is a lot easier to ignore problems than to face them head on.

#5 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2016-11-29 04:02 PM | Reply

Meh, why should I care that a bunch of Trump voting hillbillies are getting burned out. They care not one whit about the rest of the country.

#6 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:10 PM | Reply

Global warming is ONE FACTOR in the cause of this fire. Can you say that if there was no global warming there would be no fire absolutely not! Can you say that without global warming there still would have been a fire? absolutely not! All we can say for certain is that things are changing, that things are changing much quicker than any natural cause can account for, and that there are real observable effects and scientific knowledge that allow us to make educated decisions.

#7 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2016-11-29 04:12 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:10 PM | Reply | Flag: great post revealing how much you "care" about the rest of the country.

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 04:13 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY REAGAN58 AT 2016-11-29 04:10 PM

Pretty much sums up why Hillary lost...

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-11-29 04:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | POSTED BY REAGAN58 AT 2016-11-29 04:10 PM

Pretty much sums up why Hillary lost...

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-11-29 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

Yeppers

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-29 04:22 PM | Reply

#8, You're absolutely correct. I have a deep loathing for everyone that voted for Cheeto Childmolester. Now that the WH staff is loaded with Klanners and other various vermin just as I warned would be the case I hope it's a very difficult time for them. I sincerely hope that the coal miner mentalities don't get jobs back (they wouldn't have anyway), lose what meager healthcare coverage they may have had and die quickly just as the Republics want. I'd love nothing more than seeing all of the Purity Pony riders like so many on here take it in the neck over the next few years as rights and positions they claim to care about are utterly destroyed.

I care about the country, many of the people in it that I previously had some modicum of faith in....not so much.

#11 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not to worry Laura, since you got your guy as POTUS I'm just certain that his team will care very deeply about you. Oh wait, they think you're the ickiest type of all. Enjoy.

#12 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:28 PM | Reply

-I hope it's a very difficult time for them

and I believe it's creating a very difficult time for you.

They're fine, BTW. They've been either screwing themselves or voting against their self-interest for decades.

Voting for Trump won't phase them a bit. You're a moron if you believe otherwise.

I'm still amazed that you think folks who are lifetime idiots wake up after one day and realize they got screwed by the guy they voted for.

Party-line voters just aren't that smart. They never were.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 04:30 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY REAGAN58 AT 2016-11-29 04:10 PM
Pretty much sums up why Hillary lost...
#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-11-29 04:20 PM | Reply | Flag:
Yeppers

#10 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

And they aren't going to stop. See #11.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:31 PM | Reply

Another thing that Laura has been wrong about. You recently made the claim that SS, Medicare, Medicaid were all safe...something to the effect of those things being too much of a hot potato politically.

I give you Tom Price.

www.npr.org

#15 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:32 PM | Reply

"By the time we "prove" that global warming is causing our problems, your house will have burnt down and Florida will be underwater."

Does Algore know that!? Damn...I wonder if he considered all that when he built that fine new house?

"Rising Tides Of Terror: Will Melting Glaciers Flood Al Gore's Coastal Home?"

www.forbes.com

You have about as much chance of proving MAN-MADE global warming disaster as overturning the election by recounts.

#16 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 04:36 PM | Reply

Jeffj, you're right I'm not going to stop pointing out the evil that is, well, simply put...you. I'm hopeful that Trump and his band of hood wearers take away something that you care about.

#17 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:38 PM | Reply

#16 Burn, baby burn.

#18 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:39 PM | Reply

Now that the WH staff is loaded with Klanners and other various vermin

If your party hand't nuked the filibuster the most egregious of his appointments could be blocked. A LOT of Dem supporters cheered loudly when Reid nuked the filibuster. I don't recall what your take was.

I opposed Trump with everything I could in the primary. I never supported him in the general and I voted 3rd Party (Johnson).

If that makes me evil in your eyes, so be it.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:44 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"You're absolutely correct. I have a deep loathing for everyone that voted for Cheeto Childmolester."

WAIT! Are you saying that the tolerance, political correctness, diversity, compassion, understanding and love for others that you and you little "progressive" friends have preached to us for decades was all all just a load of ca ca?
I'm SHOCKED, shocked, I tell ya'. No wonder the sane Americans have sent you all off into the wilderness. Oh, and watch out for those fire and flood hazards out there. Do not build your shelters in the forest or on the sea shore. You'd never know how to deal with all that stuff.

#21 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 04:46 PM | Reply

I'm not dependent on government for my standard of living so I am not too concerned. I hope your welfare checks get taken away.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:46 PM | Reply

Burn, baby burn.
#18 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:39 PM
---

Here you go: www.organicfacts.net

#23 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-29 04:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

-I'm hopeful that Trump and his band of hood wearers take away something that you care about.

easy now.

are you going to have a melt down also?

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 04:48 PM | Reply

LoD got a NW for #23.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:50 PM | Reply

I honestly wished they'd left filibuster rules alone, bad precedent. The sheet wearers like Bannon and Conway would not be subject to confirmation nor would many of the others. People like Tom Price and Sheriff Clarke are just peachy with all of the right wing nuts so they wouldn't be blocked now.

You've been quite vocal about your far right positions for years. They're now going to come to fruition and I sincerely hope you lose sommething you care about badly. I want to see old right wingers start dying out, literally, due to Republic/Trump policies.

#26 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:50 PM | Reply

What "far right positions" would those be?

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:51 PM | Reply

I honestly wished they'd left filibuster rules alone, bad precedent.

That's exactly what I said. I also made the same argument when the GOP was considering it in 2005.

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:52 PM | Reply

I would like to go on record against the idea that americans that voted a certain way deserve to suffer.

#29 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2016-11-29 04:53 PM | Reply

"If you are going to carry that level of hatred the next 4 years are going to be very miserable for you."

I think ol' Reagan has been harboring hatred...and ignorance...for a long time. Those who spend so much time accusing others of being haters are closet haters to a tee. It breaks out and they become uncloaked in times they get destroyed like this time.

#30 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 04:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#21 I speak for myself alone. I'm saddened that you got the rain up there.

#31 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:53 PM | Reply

Like I said, I'm not dependent on the government for my standard of living, so I'm not concerned. As far as my age goes....I'm 45.

#32 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:53 PM | Reply

What "far right positions" would those be?

#27 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2016-11-29 04:51 PM | FLAG:

I laughed at that until I realized that I wasn't sure whether you were feigning ignorance or had the genuine article.

#33 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:55 PM | Reply

#29 | POSTED BY ALEXANDRITE

It's sad that we reached a point where you felt compelled to make such a common sense statement.

#34 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What "far right positions" would those be?
#27 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2016-11-29 04:51 PM | FLAG:

#33 | POSTED BY REAGAN58

I am just curious as to what positions you consider to be "far right".

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 04:56 PM | Reply

45 huh? When you're unable to purchase healthcare coverage at any price due to a pre-existing condition your ideas of financial security may change somewhat. By the way, the list of PEC's is long and will get much longer very soon. At that point something as simple as breaking your leg becomes the tipping point where you are no longer secure.

#36 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't have time to list them all today. I'm going to go grill some tuna before mi esposa comes up to my office and glares at me.

#37 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 05:00 PM | Reply

"Meh, why should I care that a bunch of Trump voting hillbillies are getting burned out."

LOL...you'd be shocked to know that the majority were super-educated, well-heeled, tourists from the North who owned vacation cabins here in the Smoky Mountains and the renters who rent them. Some businesses suffered too, and not many were owned by "hillbillies." I'll bet you have no idea where and when that name originated and you certainly aren't PC or you'd know we are now to be defined as Appalachian-Americans. Just more evidence of your total ignorance.

#38 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 05:00 PM | Reply

Well, ive heard the sentiment expressed before, and here we are again, jeff.

Ha, i knew you were an old ----. 😃

#39 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2016-11-29 05:02 PM | Reply

Alexandrite, you know that I'm ol' man, get off my lawn, meaner than anyone here except 101. Don't let them lump you in with me.

#40 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 05:02 PM | Reply

I grew up in Asheville, long before it became the hippy haven that it is now. I know hillbillies well.

#41 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2016-11-29 05:04 PM | Reply

You have time to list a couple of my "far right" positions.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:10 PM | Reply

"What "far right positions" would those be?"

Oh, you know, things like border security, small government, balanced budgets...you know, far right things like that. Reagan and his pals think anything that isn't in step with things like Governor Moonbeam's cow fart tax are far right. I told ya', Jeff, if ignorance was a snowflake guys like Reagan would be walking blizzards.

"Cow Fart Regulation Passed Into California Law"

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

#43 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 05:14 PM | Reply

#44 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I know hillbillies well."

Obviously not.

#45 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 05:16 PM | Reply

my "far right" positions
#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:10 PM
---

Weren't you #NeverTrump because his proposed border wall didn't include automated flamethrower turrets?

#46 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-29 05:23 PM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY LIVE_OR_DIE

That and I didn't think he'd actually be able to get Mexico to pay for it.

#47 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:26 PM | Reply

Well, I think abortion needs to be legal and I am pro gay marriage, so maybe with that Reagan58 will only pray that one (not both) of my boys dies a horrible death tomorrow.

#48 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:32 PM | Reply

"Just stay acceptably liberal, Alex. Reagan58 has a voodoo doll of your fiancé and he won't hesitate to use it if you step out of line."

Liberals are OK. I used to vote for them while they were still around. There aren't any left, the ones we see now are far-right radical "progressives."

#49 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-29 05:33 PM | Reply

I am fine with liberals. On A Venn Diagram I find myself more in agreement than disagreement with liberals. Like you said, it's the lefty SJW progressives that I have issues with.

#50 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-29 05:39 PM | Reply

Thank G-d Adam The Woo went there and taped a couple weeks ago. At least I got to see what it looked like pre conflagration.

#51 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-29 10:58 PM | Reply

Good news Reagan, 3 dead so far.

#52 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-29 11:20 PM | Reply

#29 | POSTED BY ALEXANDRITE AT 2016-11-29 04:53 PM | FLAG:

Same here. I think Trump is a disgusting, disingenuous pig, but wishing ill on a geographic region because they voted for him gets us nowhere – politically, socially, or otherwise.

#53 | Posted by cbob at 2016-11-30 10:49 AM | Reply

Terrorism.

Why is the media not covering this.

#54 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-11-30 12:30 PM | Reply

Wow, that is (or was) one of the most beautiful places I've ever been too. I remember spending many hours at a small stream maybe 2-3 miles from downtown Gatlinburg, I was hiking and discovered a beautiful place and setup my camera on a tripod - flowing water pictures is an addition of mine. The other people I was with wouldn't leave me by myself and after about 2-3 hours they were threatening to tie me up and haul me out. I probably got a few dozen really good pictures that day and a poster-sized print of one adorns my office wall.

May go back in late spring to see how it is doing. The aquarium there is very good and I prefer it to the Atlanta aquarium due to big crowds and rude people at the latter. Will find a way to donate towards helping those affected by the fires.

#55 | Posted by AKat at 2016-11-30 03:17 PM | Reply

I am not one to wish death and destruction on Americans because they voted Drumpf. I don't have to actually feel anything for them, to be honest. It is sad and tragic, but many of the people who voted Drumpf have wished ill for me, my friends and my family for decades now...and if they haven't wished ill, they've certainly blamed entire groups of people for their own disasters. Tennessee is God Fearing Conservative country, is it not? What Reagan58 is saying here doesn't sound much different than some of the things that residents of that fine state have said in events like Katrina or Sandy...I don't know why conservatives are so butthurt by it. Maybe because they think not-conservatives are supposed to have feelings for them and they consider it hypocritical? Sucks for Tennessee, but not my problem. Maybe they should've prayed more. (of course I don't believe that, it's just fun to use conservative rhetoric against conservatives and watch them get fussy about it)

#56 | Posted by chuffy at 2016-11-30 08:21 PM | Reply

"...but many of the people who voted Drumpf have wished ill for me, my friends and my family for decades now...and if they haven't wished ill, they've certainly blamed entire groups of people for their own disasters."

#56 | POSTED BY CHUFFY AT 2016-11-30 08:21 PM | FLAG: Please do elucidate good sir.

#57 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-30 11:31 PM | Reply

#57...really?

I live in the Bay Area, work in SF. Bill O'Reilly (assume some Drumpf voters agreed with him on this):"...And if Al-Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead."

I have many gay friends.

The following, very small sample of disasters have been blamed on or attributed to gay people and/or liberals:
Hurricane Katrina
Hurricane Sandy
9/11
California wildfires...this goes on for a long time, you don't have to do much work to find Fundamentalists or Evangelicals who blame homosexuality and progressives/liberals for disasters. I assume you're just lazy.

I know a lot of Muslims, many of them Americans, many of them born here. I don't want to do a quick spot-check online for Drumpf voters, you can just look to the man himself for the hatred of Muslims in this country.

I know a lot of African Americans. You don't have to look very hard for ill will towards them, either.

Anyone who has used the word, "-------," including people right here.

---------- who thought it was cool to demonize progressives - using genocidal rhetoric.

In fact, I don't really need to elucidate, do I? Nobody is that ignorant. So you must just be mendacious.

#58 | Posted by chuffy at 2016-12-01 07:35 PM | Reply