Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Dear Leader on Tuesday threatened loss of citizenship or jail for those who burn the American flag, saying such protests -- which the Supreme Court has declared to be free speech -- should carry "consequences."

Trump offered his thoughts in an early-morning post on Twitter, saying,"Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!"

Flag burning was ruled to be constitutionally protected speech under the First Amendment in a 1990 Supreme Court case, United States v. Eichman, that struck down a law seeking to prevent its desecration. Moreover, a 1958 Supreme Court decision rejected the practice of stripping U.S. citizenship as a form of criminal punishment.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Trump's latest interest in curbing First Amendment protections follows several other actions related to free speech, including his blacklisting of reporters who fell out of favor with his campaign and a suggestion that he would "open up" libel laws to make it easier to sue the news media.

Trump's tweet also demonstrated an ability that has continued beyond his campaign to divert public attention from other issues of the day. Earlier this week, he caused an uproar by asserting on Twitter, without evidence, that millions of people voted illegally for Clinton.

Comments

Trump is a moron. His voters are dumber than that.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2016-11-29 09:51 AM | Reply

Settled Law is only settled law if Dear Leader agrees.

We are all so F$%&#d.

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-11-29 11:11 AM | Reply

His voters are dumber than that.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2016

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good people to be absolutely dumber than hell.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 11:22 AM | Reply

I know, I've been trying to avoid the S word or the D word since the S's and D's struck back by voting for Trump to get back at the rest of us, but it is getting hard these days and I've been relapsing lately.

These stupid and dumb Trump voters have no clue how stupid and dumb they are. Even if they are offended by us calling them stupid and dumb, they went out and proved how stupid and dumb they were by voting for the one person who says he loves the stupid and dumb even though he has a long history of playing stupid, dumb, and even nice people, for absolute suckers. One day, my hope is that you recognize how stupid and dumb you are and get a chance to make something of your stupid and dumb selves before it's too late.

Sorry for the bender Zed.

#4 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 12:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Righties have been weeping, wailing, and gnashing their dentures for the "loss of their constitutional rights" for 8 yrs. Now that Trump wants to curb their constitutional rights of free speech by abandoning SCOTUS 'settled law' we will all be watching for them to fight Dear Leader's Constitution-shredding outbursts of madness.

Defend your rights, righties. Demand Trump respect the law of the land.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-11-29 12:06 PM | Reply

#5, once they master mamma's house rules, they will be right on that whole laws of the land thing.

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 12:26 PM | Reply

Guess Who Else Supported Jail Time For Burning the Flag?www.mediaite.com

Excerpt from article: "The Flag Protection Act of 2005 would have banned "destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence or a breach of the peace," punishable with a year in prison. In theory, that was different from previous flag-burning bills, which banned all flag burning. In support for the bill, Clinton cited the Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Virginia v. Black, which found that bans on cross-burning were unconstitutional, but constitutional when limited to incitement and threats of violence."

Seems Hillary liked the idea of jail time for such an act.

#7 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-29 01:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7, that was a stupid pander by her, but from yer own article, ya Doof:

The biggest difference between Clinton and Trump's proposals is of course that Clinton never supported stripping flag-burners of their citizenship, as Trump suggested Tuesday. Current Supreme Court precedent does not allow Congress to involuntarily strip natural born citizens of their citizenship.

Please scroll to the top and re-read the title of this thread.

#8 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 01:26 PM | Reply

You guys are like a herd of frightened gazelle at the watering hole.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-29 01:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You guys are like a herd of frightened gazelle at the watering hole.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11

Is your real last name Anna, first name Polly?

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 01:31 PM | Reply

Donald thus far has given every indication that he is an emotionally unstable human being with insatiable greed and little understanding/caring of American institutions.

Think he'll sober up on 01/20? Or binge?

#11 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 01:33 PM | Reply

Its really amazing. So many of you interesting people tried to make Obama into a monster by inventing a dozen or more myths (systematic lies) against him.

All I and we are doing is reflecting back to you what Donald actually does, in real time, and you think we're the ones who are crazy?

#12 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 01:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stop Zed, I'm becoming more and more convinced 90 percent of them are Russian spy-bots.

#13 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 01:49 PM | Reply

Did you ever think the DR just might be some internet "Matrix" full of automatons programmed to say the dumbest s... possible just to see how us real people react. We are just human subjects in a big joke.

...mindblow

#14 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 01:51 PM | Reply

-You guys are like a herd of frightened gazelle at the watering hole.

It's an absurd notion being floated by Trump. Naturally, I'm not worried about this going anywhere and I'm bored with the faux outrage over the symbolism of Trump's statements like this one.

It's as if I'm walking by Zed and Marytylercaink who are both convulsing on the ground, eyes rolled up into their head, frothing at the mouth in a full blown seizure.

and I'm just watching and ordering hamburger at the same time as though nothing is happening right in front of me.

That's how bored I am of the faux outrage.

Maybe I should at least pretend to be outraged by such comments from Trump.....but I refuse to devote any energy to it.

I find it absurd and embarrassing for a president-elect to communicate this way about things.....just as they do.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 02:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

...see what I mean Zed?

#16 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 02:24 PM | Reply

doubtful. do you imagine anybody knows what you mean?

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 02:28 PM | Reply

do you imagine anybody knows what you mean?

#17 | Posted by eberly at

I grok him.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 03:01 PM | Reply

That's how bored I am of the faux outrage.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2016

It's actually genuine anxiety. Past behavior is the best determinate of future behavior. Up to this very point in time, I have a fair grasp of what Donald's next for years will be like.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 03:03 PM | Reply

-I have a fair grasp...

LOL

you owe me a new keyboard.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 03:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

you owe me a new keyboard.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2016

Well, I guess that makes two now.

#21 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 03:09 PM | Reply

We've had this discussion before. You think that human beings are black boxes and unknowable and I think most of them tell you exactly who they are.

#22 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 03:10 PM | Reply

I'm pretty sure Eberly's nickname is Junior and he has been a big fan of the now-shuttered Dollar Tree in Topeka, although he considers himself a Salina kid at heart.

#23 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-29 03:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

-You think that human beings are black boxes and unknowable and I think most of them tell you exactly who they are.

If you actually know them and have actual dialogue with them????? then I couldn't agree more.

But you lack that dialogue you need in order to see who people are, Zed.

Instead, you rely on social media and places like this to form what you think you see in people.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 03:32 PM | Reply

-You think that human beings are black boxes and unknowable

You know that's not true. I read into people here all the time and I get chastised for it constantly.

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2016-11-29 03:39 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DR.ZEDVIL AT 2016-11-29 11:22 AM

And here we thought that 3 years of Evil Medical School would have made you smarter...

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-11-29 03:50 PM | Reply

---

Another difference is that one proposal was officially sponsored in the Senate, the other an early morning rage tweet.

#27 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-29 03:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#27 | POSTED BY LIVE_OR_DIE

It's probably going to take all of us awhile to get used to our president rage tweeting his gibbering nonsense.

Until then, Doc and his merry band of butthurts are going into full-on panic with each new twitterverse rant.

At least there's the entertainment value.

#28 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-29 04:07 PM | Reply

But you lack that dialogue you need in order to see who people are, Zed.

#24 | Posted by eberly at

Can't argue that dialogue isn't useful. Can say that I've recognized every rattlesnake I've stepped around with sharing a word with it.

#29 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 05:03 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-11-29

Perhaps my Doctorate is in Animal Husbandry? And my dissertation is on de-worming? In which case, you should be scared of me.

#30 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 05:05 PM | Reply

Can't argue that dialogue isn't useful. Can say that I've recognized every rattlesnake I've stepped around without sharing a word with it.

#31 | Posted by Zed at 2016-11-29 05:31 PM | Reply

Down here in the Lone Star State, we got around the free speech issue. Flag burners/ stompers get arrested for disturbing the peace. The courts decided a while back that that act was considered "unreasonable provocation", an incitement to violence. Of course the left gets upset when some jack ass preacher in Florida has a burn the Koran day. Basicly with the same arguments.

#32 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-11-30 12:56 PM | Reply

Twice now I've seen you make those claims without support. I've never read or heard anything close to that. Please provide sources for your assertions.

#33 | Posted by et_al at 2016-11-30 01:53 PM | Reply

Burning the flag is a provocation to some. Just like a trump bumper sticker or sign provokes others.
It's what you're provoked to do, and whether or not you do it that counts.

People chatting in grocery store aisles provokes me. Get the ---- out of the way and let the rest of us get our groceries.

#34 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2016-11-30 02:03 PM | Reply

#32 | Posted by docnjo

Really? Was the democrat president saying it should be outlawed?

If the president can ignore the 1st amendment, then I guess we can ignore the 2nd amendment too huh?

#35 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2016-11-30 02:50 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by et_al, That information I got from my conversations with a district judge. We work with each other on BSA activities.

#36 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-11-30 11:29 PM | Reply

The President is bound by both, "we" by neither.

That information I got from my conversations ...

That's what I thought, nothing.

#37 | Posted by et_al at 2016-12-01 12:26 AM | Reply