Monday, November 28, 2016

Lines were a little shorter, stores a little less crowded, and early-morning stampedes a little quieter this Black Friday, as more Americans opted to snag post-Thanksgiving deals from the comfort of their own laptop or smartphone. Net sales in brick-and-mortar stores on Thanksgiving and Black Friday fell by 5 percent this year, with sales in brick-and-mortar chain stores experiencing a 10.4 percent decline. Meanwhile, online sales rose in the double digits on both days, continuing a shift away from the typical in-store madness that Black Friday has come to be known for and toward a shopping experience spread out over several days and split between brick-and-mortar stores and the internet.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

The wait-for-the-cashier line is insufferable. Brick & Mortar stores are killing us with 300 customers who came to buy in the store, without figuring out a way to double checkout lines.

I waited 15 mins, with item in hand, and decided to put it back on the shelf and buy the Sonos Play-1 speaker on line.

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-11-28 06:02 PM | Reply

That's because the big box retailers are too cheap to hire more people to check out.

#2 | Posted by bat4255 at 2016-11-28 07:04 PM | Reply

Ummm No it's because they hire the people just for the holiday and the first or second day they work is usually black Friday.

Plenty of open registers just slow "associates".

But this is also a giant No S---! because they had their blockbusters online this year. Many were also not open on Thursday when their blockbusters were available online.

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-28 08:02 PM | Reply

Most brick and mortar retail is dying a slow death. I closed my own retail business this year, after 22 years. Amazon wins.

#4 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-11-28 08:09 PM | Reply

Amazon seems to be winning...for now.
But people are getting sick and damn tired of the "porch pirates" that grab and run.
Sooner or later someone will get hurt bad for that.

#5 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2016-11-28 08:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wow never had that happen here. Maybe move to a better neighborhood?

Online rocks and I don't even go for the big blow out items. Just the time savings alone makes it worth it but the fact that you can search 10 different retailers for the same item in moments means you can always save a few extra bucks.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-11-28 08:39 PM | Reply

I can tell you how it went down in my house:

We were not going out Thanksgiving. That is _never_ happening.

By the time Friday rolled around we knew all the best stuff was already gone, so why bother? We didn't leave the house to shop at all.

#7 | Posted by soheifox at 2016-11-28 09:50 PM | Reply

I buy online for 3 reasons.

The first is availability. You can rarely find the stuff I want locally. I have been buying online since before there was an Amazon. Even if I go looking in Detroit Metro I will be driving all over to find what I need if it is even available there.

The second is price. I don't mind paying a little more if something is available locally. I do even. BUT you can't sell me a $1.50 cable for $30 or $40. I won't pay 2-3 times the price of an item online. Micro Center is my favorite brick and mortar. MOST of the stuff I want in electronics and at a great price. You can hardly move in that place especially on a weekend and they have the check out process down. Fry's I think is comparable but I haven't been in one in 20 years.

Third is convenience. It has crept in. It is sometimes just way more convenient to order online. I do like to get my hands on stuff though.

BUT here's the thing. A LOT of stuff I can find locally but almost never online - like shoes that fit. Even when I find them locally and go looking online they are out of stock in my size 9/10 times.

AND here's another thing prices are going up online. Amazon is NOT always the best deal or even one of the best anymore. You can find stuff locally for less usually. The thing is the brick and mortar chains are struggling with online as well. They don't get it and are slow to react/change. The little sites that keep popping up come and go usually. BUT a lot of them are bargain operations trying to make it on volume.

There is a lot of expense in operating a big retail site just like brick and mortar. Shipping and warehousing is one people don't really think about. Everyone wants the price period. They don't want a shipping cost surprise at checkout. Shipping companies are getting competitive and lean too. USPS has REALLY upped their package shipment game.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-29 08:49 AM | Reply

As the online sales kill off more malls and stores there is a segment that we will seriously miss and that is clothing stores. I and my wife prefer to try on clothes before purchasing as buying on line and having to return items is a real pain. I've lived where malls have died and once too many stores close, especially one or two 'anchor stores' they all end up going out of business.

#9 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-30 02:03 AM | Reply

I did online buying and the products are delivered to the store so there is no shipping.
Picking up the product at the store also requires no long lines because the purchase has already been processed.
It's just pick up and go - and the pickup area is usually separate from the busy cashiers - so win/win/win

#10 | Posted by Petrous at 2016-11-30 12:39 PM | Reply