Sunday, November 27, 2016

In a run-off election next month, [Foster Campbell of Louisiana] will vie for the last open U.S. Senate seat. He is a longshot -- but if he can defy the latest public poll, he might also be the Democratic Party's last best hope of slowing down Donald Trump. Although Republicans secured control of the Senate on election night, the institution's rules still give considerable power to the minority party. If Democrats control 49 seats instead of 48, they will be that much closer to peeling off Republicans to stop some of Trump's most controversial agenda items. Or as Campbell puts it, "I might be the deciding vote on privatizing Social Security, privatizing Medicare. One vote can make a difference in the Senate."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Yeah, hes gotta beat Kennedy though. Kennedy is a gun toting, hardcore Trump supporter.

The Democrats of Louisiana aren't the norm for the rest of the country so that could be on his side. Orleans Parish and parts of Baton Rouge are liberal strong holds but other than that it seems Democrats have to be on the conservative side to perform.

My next door neighbor when I lived in New Orleans sent me a picture of him and Foster the other day. He's working with his campaign.

Louisiana politics are crazy. The candidates use their nick names a lot kinda Beverly Hillbillish.

Crazy story: Back about 15 or so years ago I wrote an editorial that got published in The Advoocate. I criticized the governor (Mike Foster) pretty hard and he ended up calling my house and leaving a voice mail. I never checked voice mails so I missed it and he ended up writing me a letter and invited me to the Governor's Mansion for lunch so we could talk. I ended up going and had a really good time. He was open and let me speak my mind about the issues I had and while he didn't do everything I requested he did bend and meet me half way.

It was an exciting time for me and a memory that I hold dear. Kinda like my power to the people moment. I still have the letter in my scrap book right along with the letter W. Henson Moore wrote to my Grandfather in 1977 after meeting with him to discuss his idea to build a floating hydro-electric power plant.

#1 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-27 03:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

*Congressman W. Henson Moore, I should have said.

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-27 03:19 PM | Reply

Cool story, lfthndthrds. Were you concerned at all if you took the governor's invitation he'd feed you to his gators?

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2016-11-27 04:46 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2016-11-27 04:46 PM | FLAG:

I have to admit that when I got the letter I thought I may be in the hot seat but it was nothing of the sorts. It was a gentlemen's conversation and even though I didn't support him as governor I had a lot of respect for him when I was in his presence.

Another part to the story was that a major hurricane was headed for the central coast of Louisiana and the Governor had been in the middle of preparations that day. He flew in for lunch on a chopper. While we were talking and having lunch, he would have to stop and take emergency preparation phone calls and actually gave the word to activate the National guard while I was there. I got to see how much goes on behind the scenes and how stressful it can be burdened with the responsibility of the welfare of an entire state.

I hit him pretty hard in another editorial later when he bought David Dukes list of supporters because i felt like it was a publicity stunt. I didn't get invited for that one.

The story came to mind when I was commenting on this thread because one of his lead staff people was there at lunch. A lawyer named Junior Campbell..LOL I still don't know the man's real first name. Campbells are a dime a dozen in Louisiana politics.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-27 05:00 PM | Reply

Louisiana has a tolerance for some private and public corruption, they consider Federal Prison a retirement home for politicians. Not all the corrupt were evil, Huey P. Long and Edwards are prof. But Louisiana is not the same as it was 50 years ago. Most people are not the abject poor they were back then. The old money has passed away and corporations has taken the place of power the old families once had. The GOP is preeminent among most white people and the black population and some Catholics are the power base of the Democrats now. So the two major cities are Democrat cities, New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Almost every where else is Republican, except some of Arcadia. They have runoffs if no candidate gets at least 50% of the vote. Let's face it, the Democrats are demoralized and the Republican are flush with victory. I don't give the senatorial candidate much of a chance. Back when I was a kid you could buy a vote for a bottle of Sole Gin if you provided a ride to the polls. Those days are long gone. One of the great myths I hear about the south is how great a power the Klan is. That is pure BS. When half the population is black, you don't run the risk of a riot in a black neighborhood, you have the potential of something much worse. Cooler heads have prevailed for quite a while. Or maybe it's too damn hot to fight.

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-11-27 08:30 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2016-11-27 08:30 PM | FLAG:

Nice. you nailed it.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-27 09:15 PM | Reply

BS no way... I voted today and im not voting democrat no one else is either.

#7 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-11-28 12:23 PM | Reply

#7 I know people voting Democrat, and I'm not in Louisiana. Granted, they are in the minority.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-28 12:27 PM | Reply

NO wait last time all you wanted to do was talk about David Duke. You forgot about him didn't you?

As I predicted Duke was a non story the real story is the democrat wont win.

#9 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-11-28 11:36 PM | Reply

Bananas Foster is a corrupt idiot. The only reason he is in a runoff is because there were way to many R's running to allow anyone to get 50%. He was hoping for some good old election fraud with "special voting machines" in places like Jefferson Parish. But they got caught.

#10 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2016-11-29 01:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1