Drudge Retort: The Other Side of the News
Saturday, November 26, 2016

An e-cigarette exploded in the pocket of an employee at a New York City wine store Wednesday, badly burning the man. Otis Gooding, 31, was standing behind the store counter and talking with co-workers when the e-cigarette exploded, burning his leg, thigh and hand, said attorney Sanford Rubenstein. He's being treated for third-degree burns. "Otis ran water on himself 'til the paramedics came. I was traumatized to see someone hurt that way," said John Lee, another employee of Central Cellars Wine and Spirits in Grand Central Terminal.





Admin's note: Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

"Lee, a former e-cigarette smoker himself, said the device had been customized. "I've never seen one that has so much power, it's aftermarket customized so you can change the voltage for high performances," he said."

I think Mr. Lee just cost Mr. Gooding a lot of money.

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2016-11-26 04:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | Posted by Sully

Nah, they'll settle out of court or likely find a sucker jury.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-26 05:49 PM | Reply

Nope moding it voids all manufacturer liability and no Mr. Lee saved the manufacturer a bunch of money in defending a suit that they would have won with examination of the e-cig.

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-11-26 05:56 PM | Reply

This is what you get for buying a cheap E-Cig and trying to modify it.

The vaporizers I use can go up to 60 watts I have it turned to 43 watts I have seen some vaporizers go up to several hundred watts.

and if you shop around on line you can fine those high wattage vaporizers for fairly cheap, you dont to modify a garbage vaporizer, just buy a good one, hell even I can afford a half way decent vaporizer their that cheap if you look around enough

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2016-11-27 01:34 AM | Reply

the language of the vap industry is whats causing confusion. These removable battery 'ecigs' loaded with 18650 batteries are called 'mods'. No way this desk clerk had any hand in actually modifying the electronics inside. Most idiots who transition from smoking or just pick up vaping becuase 'chucking fat ----!" (exhaling large clouds) looks cooler, dont actually understand that they are holding hand grenades. From the busted up pieces, it looks like he had a cheap, 3-cell regulated mod, so even if the button was locked on, it shouldnt have blown. However, where most of these explosions fault from in regulated pieces are from not understand that the wrapper is more than just a pretty decoration. The entire bodies of the 18650 batteries are the negative posts, just the separate button on top is positive. These guys dont take care and keep using batteries with messed up wraps, which eventually cause a short and runaway failure.

#5 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2016-11-28 01:04 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by monkeylogic42 at 2016-11-28

It looked like a slightly bigger Ego-twist to me which came with a built in battery and dd not take 18650 batteries.

in fact many Mods come with built in batteries but those are not called Mods those are called Batteries.

Not all Mods take 18650 batteries though most mods do but there are plenty of others that take many different sizes of batteries

#6 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2016-11-29 03:44 AM | Reply

Comments are closed for this entry.

Home | Breaking News | Comments | User Blogs | Stats | Back Page | RSS Feed | RSS Spec | DMCA Compliance | Privacy | Copyright 2017 World Readable

Drudge Retort