Friday, November 25, 2016

A new study about aloe vera gel, used to treat sunburns and other skin issues, might make some consumers feel even more burned, especially those partial to store brand products. Bloomberg hired a lab to test various store brands and it found that the aloe gel sold at stores like Walmart, Target and CVS is lacking one important ingredient -- aloe vera. The report says that all of the brands listed aloe vera juice as a prominent ingredient, but the three specific chemical markers that would indicate the presence of aloe were missing.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The four gels that Bloomberg tested were Walmart's Equate Aloe After Sun Gel, Target's Up & Up Aloe Vera Gel, CVS Aftersun Aloe Vera Moisturizing Gel, and Walgreens Alcohol-Free Aloe Vera Body Gel.

In three of the samples the lab found none of the chemical markers, but tests did find maltodextrin, a cheap, sugary substitute sometimes used to imitate aloe, according to the results.

Comments

Free market wins again!

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-25 08:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Is there actually any nutrition in the "food" called fast food?

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-25 10:32 AM | Reply

I have close to 100 small aloe plants under lights right now. They'll have be for sale at the Farmers Market next season. If you want one, give me a call at BR 549.

#3 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-25 12:28 PM | Reply

If the gov was not so interested in harassing us they could do there job and test products.
Why is it that all electrical devices bust be tested by UL labs but products like this dont have to have any lab test?

#4 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-11-25 12:50 PM | Reply

I've kept an aloe plant for most of my adult years, but only since living in LA has this happened - For the second time In four years have an aloe plant flowering; a rare occasion.

Here is a site which shows what it looks like: www.gardeningknowhow.com

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-25 01:20 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by tmaster

Because "small government conservatives" don't want to allocate enough money to do the job properly. UL is operated on behalf of the insurance industry (underwriters, as in Underwriters Laboratories). It saves them money on claims. There is no corresponding "free market" incentive for the food industry.

#6 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2016-11-25 02:33 PM | Reply

UL testing is voluntary and the vendor pays for it. You don't HAVE to do it but many building contracts requires it be done for legal purposes.

FDA only checks food stuffs that you consume not used topically. They want to test those too but lobbyists have been fighting against it.

It's basically Chinese Aloe.

(They pass it over the cap to get a whiff of the Aloe.)

#7 | Posted by Pegasus at 2016-11-25 09:02 PM | Reply

I stock up on aloe when I'm in Aruba. I think it's the only thing that grows there.

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-11-25 11:52 PM | Reply

Aloe grows wild and reproduces prolifically here in Florida.

I'm surprised that a pharmaceutical company doesn't cultivate their own.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-11-26 06:25 AM | Reply

which begs the question- what else isn't making it into all the other labeled boxes...

#10 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2016-11-26 10:03 AM | Reply

#11 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2016-11-26 10:03 AM | Reply

I was talking to a danish friend a while back about coffee and we joked that in america our coffee was probably sawdust with chemical flavorings. It was a joke but aloe with aloe "flavorings" has me wondering.

We have a couple of small plants we keep for burns, it's one of the few plants my wife can't kill so it provides some much needed greenery in the house as well as sunburn relief in the summer and fireplace burn relief in the winter. I burn myself at least once a week on a fireplace.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-11-26 10:09 AM | Reply

So, how should these companies be dealt with. They have obviously been committing fraud on a very wide scale. should they not be punished? The executives running these companies should not be punished. Honestly, I believe jail time is appropriate for any and all exec. and board members who knew about this and profited from it. Anyone disagree?

#13 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-26 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Aloe grows wild and reproduces prolifically here in Florida."

I live in a small condo but still manage to keep aloe growing here. I honestly don't know of a plant that requires less maintenance. It's just there, we don't water it, don't do anything for it but it is still always just there.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-26 10:53 AM | Reply

I guess we're just spoiled, DANNI

I didn't even know there was such a thing as "imitation" aloe until I read this article. Like you, I just walk out the door and lop off a chunk when I have the need.

#15 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-11-26 12:59 PM | Reply

I'm sure some deregulation will solve this.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2016-11-26 03:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I'm sure some deregulation will solve this."

Ah, the DR conundrum: funny, or newsworthy?

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2016-11-26 03:59 PM | Reply

#16 Find a Libertarian, and shove this article up his ---.

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-11-26 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#16 Find a Libertarian, and shove this article up his ---.

Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-11-26 11:22 PM | Reply

I'm guessing with the fake Aloe Vera as lube correct????

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-26 11:45 PM | Reply

So a company cheats its customers and now we need more Federal government regulation and intervention to prevent this from happening? A simple lawsuit on behalf of the states would suffice to shut the company down or for people to stop buying the products, problem solved. No amount of government regulation and oversight can stop people from cheating the system.

#20 | Posted by danv at 2016-11-27 02:18 PM | Reply

DANV

"No amount of government regulations and oversight can stop people from cheating the system."

I doubt this revelation about fake aloe is going to make headlines above the fold. Consumers are easily fooled by the name applied to a product (or service). For example, the words "budget" or "economy" or "free" aren't illegal but they are misleading for a consumer who doesn't read the fine print.

The words 'caveat emptor' applies here. But then, how many people go shopping with a magnifying glass in their pocket?

#21 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-11-28 03:48 AM | Reply