Friday, November 25, 2016

[S]ometimes people who drink diet soft drinks put on more weight and develop chronic disorders like diabetes. This has puzzled nutritionists, but experiments in mice now suggest that in some cases, this could partly be down to the artificial sweetener aspartame. Artificial sweeteners that contain no calories are synthetic alternatives to sugar that can taste up to 20,000 times sweeter. They are often used in products like low or zero-calorie drinks and sugar-free desserts, and are sometimes recommended for people who have type 2 diabetes. But mouse experiments now suggest that when aspartame breaks down in the gut, it may disrupt processes that are vital for neutralizing harmful toxins from the bacteria that live there. By interfering with a crucial enzyme, these toxins seem to build up, irritating the gut lining and causing the kinds of low-level inflammation that can ultimately cause chronic diseases.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The team also found evidence that, when consumed in combination with a fatty diet, aspartame may lead to greater weight gain in mice. When the group fed mice a high-fat diet for 18 weeks, those that were also given aspartame put on more weight than those that weren't.

Mice fed aspartame also had higher blood sugar levels between meals. Failure to soak up excess blood sugar is an early sign of diabetes, and this was seen in aspartame-fed mice that received a normal-fat diet too. ...

"This research questions the effectiveness of sweeteners for weight reduction and adds to a growing body of evidence suggesting they might actually lead to weight gain," says Katherine Jenner of UK campaign group, Action on Sugar.

Comments

Diet sodas prevent you from losing weight, a new study claims.

How then do I make water taste better?

(and I don't mean mixing it with scotch)

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-11-24 09:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

How then do I make water taste better?

(and I don't mean mixing it with scotch)

Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-11-24 09:25 PM | Reply

Tea coffee tang kool aid etc etc etc.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-24 09:28 PM | Reply

Diet soda is my cigarette. I've quit and unquit more times than I can count.

#3 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-24 10:51 PM | Reply

I've quit and unquit more times than I can count.

#3 | POSTED BY LIVE_OR_DIE AT 2016-11-24 10:51 PM | FLAG:

I know what you mean. best advice is talk to someone else.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-11-24 11:20 PM | Reply

If you drink diet coke try switching to regular Pepsi if you drink diet Pepsi try switching to regular coke.

For some reason the diets taste more like the opposite regular drink. You might find it easier to quit diet if the taste remains similar.

Alternatively get yourself a really good water purifier. We have an RO system hooked into the fridge so we get RO ice and water taste so pure. If that is out of the budget get a good carafe water filter the Mavea Elemaris XL is always rated as one of the tops for about 35 bucks but nothing wrong with a brita or pur. Keep it in the fridge and you got cold clear yummy water whenever you want.

Since going RO I pretty much only drink Coffee and Water.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-11-25 08:32 AM | Reply

www.youtube.com

#6 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2016-11-25 11:48 AM | Reply

How then do I make water taste better?
#1 PINCHALOAF

I gave up soft drinks several years ago. Just slowly lost my taste for them. I drink my water with a TSP of honey mixed with lemon or lime juice. When Fruits are in season I'll crush a few blackberries, strawberries or other and mix with several whole berries for a refreshing drink. We got some of the stainless tumblers, (not Yeti, I'm a tight ass). You can make a large drink, add lots of ice and it stays cool for hours.

#7 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-25 11:50 AM | Reply

Who would have thought a Diet Coke/Pepsi and a Big Mac would make someone fat?

Pincaloaf try squeezing a lemon in your water cheap and health way to make it taste better.

#8 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2016-11-25 11:54 AM | Reply

I gave aspartame to my pet Fire Ants.

They'ir not loosing any weight...

They'ir not moving around much either...

I drink diet cola's all the time... doen'st seem to affect my brayns.

#9 | Posted by Pegasus at 2016-11-25 12:18 PM | Reply

As for 'diet' drinks, I worked with a guy that wanted to lose weight. He thought Slim Fast was the answer. He'd come in each morning, drink a Slim Fast, and start his day. At 10 he'd have a donuts and a diet soda. Lunch, Slim Fast. At 2:20 he'd go with a Snickers and a diet soda. I have no idea what went into his pie hole after work but there was no weight loss. Go figure.

#10 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-25 12:21 PM | Reply

I am personally opposed to artificial sweeteners and MSG. They are trying to trick the body into thinking it is getting nutrients and energy when it isn't (sugar for sweeteners, protein for msg). I know that my hunger and cravings adapt to my level of activity. I think that if you try to trick your body, then it will just throw things out of whack. If your body is craving sugar, and your mouth says that it got some but your body gets no energy, then next time it will just crave twice as much (so when you actually do eat a food with sugar, you overeat). And your metabolism might slow down since the body is unsure it can get the energy it thinks it needs.

I try not to eat anything that is "diet","low fat", etc. I just make sure I eat everything in moderation.

That's my theory, at least.

#11 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2016-11-25 12:49 PM | Reply

This chemical never should have been approved some of us have been fighting it for years.

It causes dizziness from getting in the brain. Some are allergic to it and get very sick from drinking sodas.

I think its time to ban this crap.

#12 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-11-25 01:01 PM | Reply

I switched to polar seltzers... its really just the fizz I'm looking from my drink with my meal.

#13 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2016-11-26 08:58 AM | Reply

That is some nasty crap. I could never eat fake sugars they taste awful and make me feel sick. Blech... even in mouth wash, gum, cough syrup... its everywhere.

Hard for me to feel sorry for fat people who wash down jumbo Snicker bars with it. Losing weight is easy... eat fewer calories than you need relative to your activity... it as if they are trying to fool themselves into thinking they are eating less junk whilst pouring some chemists evil social experiment down their throat. Maybe you can fool your brain but you can't fool your body.

www.youtube.com

#14 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2016-11-26 02:13 PM | Reply

"Losing weight is easy... eat fewer calories than you need relative to your activity... "

More recent studies are suggest otherwise. Calories obtained via sugar and other carbs add more long-term weight than the same calories obtained by proteins.
www.hsph.harvard.edu

It only makes sense: 100 calories of nuts is healthier for you than 100 calories of chips or 100 calories of candy. The most recent studies are showing the protein calories force the body to become more efficient, and suppress hunger better.

In my own experience, eschewing carbs for proteins increased my overall energy, and ended any and all hunger pangs. And the weight dropped like a rock.

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2016-11-26 02:26 PM | Reply

I even keep a small bottle of lemon and lime juice in the refrigerator. A quick pinch of each into a glass of ice water and that's all I need.

Soda is just gross. I never understood how anyone who was trying to lose weight could think drinking ANY of it was the way to go.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2016-11-26 03:48 PM | Reply

When I started eating better about six months ago I was rather shocked to find that it was either neutral or cheaper to eat healthier. It takes more effort (which I think is the biggest deterrent) but overall I think it's well worth it.

I also lost about 15 pounds with the first two months, felt better, am more energetic and, obviously these are all inter-related, started sleeping much more soundly and longer.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2016-11-26 03:51 PM | Reply

I like the taste of soda water, sometimes with a bit of lemon juice from the ones I grow.
I make my own soda water with a DIY setup like this, but with a 10 pound tank that should last several years on one $25 charge.
www.popsci.com