Thursday, November 24, 2016

Donald Trump may want Mitt Romney to be his secretary of state, but Russia does not. ... Romney is reportedly in the running to run the State Department, despite Trump's vocal desire to move closer to Russia and Romney's famous denunciations of Vladimir Putin's government during the 2012 election. The Russian press hasn't forgotten that either. "Secretary of State Russophobe," bellows the headline at the Obozrevatel. "Mass media found out about plans to appoint as Secretary of State Romney, who called Russia an enemy of the U.S." Lenta.ru explained. State-owned channel NTV declared that "in America and beyond its borders, Romney is called one of the biggest Russophobes."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

They dredged up alleged quotes of Romney calling Putin a "tyrant, dreaming of restoring the Russian Empire," or "a threat to the stability and peace of the world." And the media didn't forget that Romney accused Barack Obama, no friend of the Russian Federation, of being too soft on Moscow.

"Under my presidency our friends will see more loyalty and Mr. Putin will see a little less flexibility and more backbone," Romney promised.

Comments

Mr. Trump believes that Mr. Romney, with his patrician bearing, looks the part of a top diplomat right out of "central casting"
therightscoop.com

So will he or won't he. He likes him but his Russian would be puppetmasters don't. It is all about perception for Trump. Tough choice.

#1 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2016-11-23 09:10 PM | Reply

"It is all about perception for Trump."

So, if he caves to the Russians, Trump will look like their tool. He will probably cave to the Russians. IMHO. Manchurian candidate?

#2 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-23 09:30 PM | Reply

Is Romney willing to be a Trump/Russian tool just to get the SOS title? How far is he willing to sell out.

#3 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2016-11-23 09:41 PM | Reply

Romney = empty suit

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-11-23 10:00 PM | Reply

Romney = empty suit

#4 | POSTED BY ICHIRO

Please, Obama's "the 80's want their foreign policy back" will go down in history, right behind the "JV Team".

Was Obama ever right, about anything? Don't even get me started on Clinton.....

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-11-23 10:20 PM | Reply

Maybe he wants someone who will challenge him. Someone he can bounce ideas off and debate. That is how you come to better decisions.

#6 | Posted by sawdust at 2016-11-23 10:40 PM | Reply

I've been reading the retort for a long time and # 6 is one of the funniest statements I've read so far, thanks!

#7 | Posted by CVA43 at 2016-11-23 10:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

CVA, the fact that you find that funny would indicate that you do not know that this is a technique a lot of intelligent people use.

Rather than isolating themselves in the echo chamber of like-minded folks they welcome differing views and use them to hone their positions and make better decisions.

The fact that so many so-called experts were live in their own echo chambers is why they were surprised by Trump's election.

In fact many thought it was "funny" that Trump was running to be President.

You can call it funny if that is what makes you feel good or look good in your circles.

But if you want to become someone who truly understands the world around them I would suggest you listen to people outside your sphere rather than mock them.

#8 | Posted by sawdust at 2016-11-23 11:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

#8 | POSTED BY SAWDUST

Trump won because the electoral college fell to him just right, despite him losing the popular vote by over 2 million. That hardly qualify's as an "echo chamber".

#9 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-11-23 11:49 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY SAWDUST

I suggest you learn the American electoral process first.

#10 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-11-23 11:51 PM | Reply

Trump is bad for not taking a hard stance on Russia. Romney was bad for taking a hard stance on Russia, Obama said so. Now that someone with a hard stance on Russia may possibly be the next SoS, well that's bad too, but we really need someone who will stand up to Russia, and we don't at the same time. Because bad.

#12 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-24 04:44 AM | Reply

I think there's no chance Romney will be chosen as Secretary of State. Trump and his top aides are floating the idea just for the PR of making him look magnanimous.

After being afraid to utter a single word of criticism against Putin during the campaign, even as he talks tough about every other country that is either a rival or an enemy, Trump will never pick anyone to lead State who would be a sharp critic of Russia. Putin's got Trump in his pocket.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2016-11-24 09:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Last Week's SNL summed it up great, Trump (Alec Baldwin) and Romney (Jason Sudeikis) shook hands looking in each other's eyes for about 60 seconds, broke off mutually saying, nah this isn't gonna work, and Romney walking out.

I pretty much figure that's how the meeting went/is gonna go.

BTW SNL still rocks, I've been watching it for 30-plus years. You haters just turned into old cudes.

#14 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-24 12:33 PM | Reply

So? Isn't that a good thing? Whats the downside?

#14 | POSTED BY BOCAINK

It was dead for a long time, but after the 2000 election and WillFerrell, and like a Titan Arum lily, it comes into bloom every four years.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-11-24 01:54 PM | Reply

If I wanted your opinion on what you had to say Mackris, I would have asked, "can the most repulsive person on the DR please comment on what I have to say?"

That is all.

#16 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-24 06:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I actually like Romney Live or Troll, grasp your head around that one. I would have given him a 4 year trial if he woulda ran this time, unless Biden ran. I just know Romney is too moral of a person to work with such scum (I hope I'm not proven wrong). The SNL skit pretty much made fun of that fact.

#18 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-25 07:31 PM | Reply

#17 - For the record I didn't plonk that, hence the rebuttal.

It's cool, y'all can say what you want about me or about how "your side won." You are just gonna look worse and worse before you finally change your handle and/or come up with electoral amnesia.

Us long-timers know that game.

#19 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-25 07:37 PM | Reply

Us long-timers know that game.
#19 | POSTED BY BOCAINK AT 2016-11-25 07:37 PM

Lol, sure thing sport.

I don't think I actually mentioned who I voted for around here yet, but it's slightly amusing how many people think they know, and like yourself, are dead wrong about it.

#20 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-26 09:56 PM | Reply

Well, I know you post on here like Trump posts on Twitter. I don't know if you voted for Trump but you sure troll like him, so there's that.

#21 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-27 12:00 AM | Reply

You probably smell like him, like hot dogs and onions.

#22 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-27 01:51 AM | Reply

"I don't think I actually mentioned who I voted for around here yet,"

Or if you voted.

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-27 02:18 AM | Reply

I voted.

#24 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-27 02:28 AM | Reply

"In other words, try again dumb ----."

LoD, as I understand it, some people (like George and Laura Bush, for example) didn't vote because they found both candidates so distasteful and weren't impressed by the 3rd party candidates. You might have been one of them.

"Dumb ----"? Geez, that's original.

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-27 02:41 AM | Reply

Well, I definitely know when I hit a nerve, LOL(D). Face it, regardless of who you voted for (I'm guessing your perspective on that changes the later at night and the more drunk and profane you get), you jump on here to be a two-bit cheap imitation of 101/Mackris, but instead you get too easily offended and thin-skinned to fulfill your trolling fantasies.

But since you have been backed into the corner that the people who disagree with you are snowflake retards who don't know s--- from the bloody racist s---ole cities like Ann Arbor (4th best city to live still), I want to see what your idea of a perfect world is.

Go ahead LOD, tell me what you stand for, what do you believe in. Who did you vote for, and how do you want to help America become a better place. I know I've been very vocal about what I consider to be common decency.

...I'll wait.