Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The NHL's new expansion team in Las Vegas has unveiled its name and logo. The team will be called the Vegas Golden Knights -- note the absence of "Las" -- and have a black, steel grey and blue logo of a medieval helmet with a "V" defined in its shape. Team owner Bill Foley wanted to call the new franchise the Black Knights in honor of his West Point background, but had to settle for another color. Other names reportedly considered were Nighthawks, Desert Hawks and Sidewinders.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

I hope that the Vegas Golden Knights craft a better looking mascot than UCF's cardboard* Golden Knight:
www.ucf.edu

*May not be cardboard

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-11-23 12:06 PM | Reply

They should have called themselves the "Sailing Stones"...

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-11-23 12:08 PM | Reply

The only Golden Nights that impress me is the US Army parachute team.

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-23 01:04 PM | Reply

Golden Nights + Golden KNIGHTS

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-23 01:05 PM | Reply

I thought the Black Jacks would have been a good name. But in this era of heightened racial sensitivities, I doubted they'd have the guts to go through with it.

I'm still hoping other NHL clubs will take inspiration from this type of name and christen themselves with similaR monikers...

Like the York Purple Rangers for example

(apologies to Prince)

#5 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-11-23 01:20 PM | Reply

I like how the V appears in the helmet as negative space. I wish the helmet looked cooler.

The name itself seems like a dud. Vegas Golden Knights befits a minor league baseball franchise, not an NHL team.

But it'll be cool to see the team built with an expansion draft, and Nevada deserves a pro team.

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2016-11-23 01:30 PM | Reply

Being Vegas, pervert capital of America, they should have named themselves the Golden Showers.

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-23 01:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#7 | Posted by nullifidian

The tables and slots can rain gold on me any day... But I know what you meant.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-23 02:20 PM | Reply

Here's to another team to weaken the league.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-23 02:20 PM | Reply

Too bad they didn't pick
The Button Men
The Slots
The Crime Family
The Commission
The Mobsters

#10 | Posted by catdog at 2016-11-23 02:38 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2016-11-23 01:34 PM | REPLY | FUNNY: 1

I was wondering who was going to drop the 'showers' reference first. I was also hoping it would be me.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-11-23 03:34 PM | Reply

Should have gone with Las Vegas Aces. Simple, catchy, appropriate name. Would have sold a lot more merch.

But they think that not referencing gambling in any way will somehow make people forget what Vegas is.

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2016-11-23 05:38 PM | Reply

Catdog was close. I think it should have been the Las Vegas Mob. Perfect homage to the past and a great way to include the fans as an integral part of the franchise.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-11-23 05:45 PM | Reply

Las Vegas Gamblers.

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-23 05:48 PM | Reply

The Army's special forces jump team the Golden Knights should sue this team for stealing their name.

#15 | Posted by tknees at 2016-11-24 12:39 PM | Reply