Monday, November 21, 2016

Amy Sandler, Time: As a resident of Indiana for five years, I got to know Governor Mike Pence better than the average Indiana constituent. Now that he is about to be our next vice president, I want all Americans to know exactly how he treated my family when my wife, Niki, was dying of ovarian cancer. I want everyone to know the type of man he is -- the type of things he is capable of. ... When a federal trial court ordered Indiana to recognize our marriage on an emergency basis because of Niki's declining health, Governor Pence immediately appealed. He wouldn't allow the state to protect even one family with a dying parent -- my family -- while the court case made its way through the legal system. After the Baskin plaintiffs won a sweeping victory, ordering the state of Indiana to recognize our marriages and give all same-sex couples the right to marry, Pence again appealed and the court put our victory on hold.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Given Niki's grave health, our lawyers asked the court to lift the stay on an emergency basis, just for our family. But even that wasn't acceptable to Pence -- a lawyer for the state filed papers in opposition.

Ultimately, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Indiana was violating our constitutional rights by enforcing its same-sex marriage ban.

Niki passed away shortly after our marriage victory.

That is our next vice president: a man who has shown time and again that he can't govern for all people, but only the ones he approves of.

Comments

The hate goes deep in people like Pence. Thanks Donald Trump, you gave up long held beliefs so that you could run as a pretend religious conservative. I don't know how your kids can respect you. I don't.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-21 07:47 PM | Reply

We couldn't wish the death of shrub, because Cheney was worse. Now history repeats itself.

#2 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-11-21 08:10 PM | Reply

My emotions are swelling.

Nice propaganda...

#3 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-11-21 09:21 PM | Reply

Truth hurts.

#4 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2016-11-21 10:08 PM | Reply

Ah remember Romney killed that woman ..... Liberals upto their old trix .....

I love the left, incredibly predictable, Americans are onto this BS.

Sexism, Racism, Victims.... when it actually happens let us know....

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-11-21 10:14 PM | Reply

#5 if the shoe fits, and with Pence, the shoe fits.

Keep bragging Mackris, you will completely forget voting for Trump twice 5 years from now.

#6 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-21 11:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | Posted by bocaink

You should move to the SNL bubble.

www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-21 11:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#7 Thanks two-cents, I saw it and not impressed. We have cops and firefighters and we love our little bubble. You can still get a decent apartment for under 1k too. Sorry the rest of America is such a craphole that you let people elect Trump.

Trust me, our bubble is better than SNL's bubble, and your Breitbart bubble too.

#8 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 12:56 AM | Reply

The one good thing about the Trump/Pence administration, the haters are now self-identifying and when Trump/Pence is gone we will still know who they are. right Mackris? How on Earth could you not support their right to live the life they chose and care for each other as they wished. I lost any respect I ever had for you on that post. That's just mean spirited and sick. You should be ashamed. I hope you have the decency to be.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-22 02:16 AM | Reply

Hang in there--only 1,520 more days until the 2020 inauguration...

#10 | Posted by catdog at 2016-11-22 08:34 AM | Reply

Sorry the rest of America is such a craphole that you let people elect Trump.
#8 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 12:56 AM

Michigan, so far, is in the Trump corner. Nulli's from CA, which is in the Clinton corner.

Try again.

#11 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-22 09:02 AM | Reply

"Marriage has got historic, religious and moral content that goes back to the beginning of time, and I think a marriage is as a marriage has always been, between a man and a woman." - Hillary Clinton, 2000

"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage." - Barack Obama, 2008

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-11-22 12:03 PM | Reply

Times change stand. You either change with them or fade from view.

#13 | Posted by 726 at 2016-11-22 12:42 PM | Reply

By "change with them" I presume you mean "alter your core beliefs so they don't cost you votes".

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-11-22 01:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I won't argue that they didn't change their opinions for political expediency, but I'm curious: do you have any actual proof, other than your ill opinion of them, that it was political expediency and not a change of heart that led them to their new positions? If not, then you have no business claiming otherwise.

#15 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-11-22 09:44 PM | Reply

#15 Let me ask you a question....have you ever had one of your fundamental moral principles change over a stretch of 5 or 10 years? Not a stretch of a lifetime...not "I was one way when I was 17 but now that I'm 40...." but in the span of less than a decade?

#16 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-11-23 08:14 AM | Reply

I don't care what your religious beliefs are or your views on gay marriage. The humanity of preventing partners (cuz you can't stand the idea that they are married) from comforting each other at a time like that (or any other time for that matter) is just disgusting. Mike Pence is not a humane human being, his rigid belief system prevents him from becoming a fully functioning human being. In a way, I actually feel sorry for him, in that he will probably never become a fully functioning human being. In all honesty, though he will cause much pain to others for no valid reason, in the end he will never understand what love it or what freedom is. He's really just a sad sack who I actually pity.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-23 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

16-

I get your point. I think some issues are different than others, though. I think gay marriage is the type of issue that can challenge beliefs in a short amount of time based on the experiences you have, the people you talk to, etc. To be clear, I'm not saying they didn't alter their position for votes. But I do think it's plausible for them to have had an honest change of heart. I know I did on this very issue, and I think general public sentiment towards gay marriage changed in a short amount of time, too. If millions of Americans can change their mind in a short amount of time, why not two politicians?

I apologize for the rambly nature of that paragraph. No coffee yet.

#18 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-11-23 08:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#17 He IS a "fully functioning human being" who understands love and freedom, Danni, whether we agree with him or not. We do not become more advanced humans because of our beliefs.

#18 It's possible that they had a genuine change of heart, but I think either they were against it from the beginning and were lying about it then, or were against it from the beginning and are lying about it now. Either way it comes down to pandering.

#19 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-11-23 12:51 PM | Reply

We do not become more advanced humans because of our beliefs.

#19 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-11-23 12:51 PM | Reply | Flag

She doesn't care about beliefs. She cares about the letter after someone's name. You think Danni give's a rat's behind about the tens of thousands of lives Obama and Hillary destroyed in Libya, Syria and Honduras? The moral outrage is selective and therefore, fraudulent.

#20 | Posted by Sully at 2016-11-23 01:09 PM | Reply

I don't know how your kids can respect you. I don't.

#1 | Posted by danni

I'm laughing so hard, I've got tears running down my face.

#21 | Posted by wisgod at 2016-11-23 01:16 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY SULLY FLAG: NW!

#22 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-11-23 01:17 PM | Reply