Monday, November 21, 2016

Surely you weren't naive enough to believe him when [Donald] Trump said his network of businesses and partnerships didn't pose any conflict-of-interest problems, because his grown children will run the business while he's president and he'll be completely focused on making America great. That was just something to tell the rubes. ... Trump is sending a very clear message to the world: If you want my attention and my favor, you'd better pony up. As former Federal Election Commission chair Trevor Potter wrote, having Trump's children run his company "will produce conflicts of interest of an unprecedented magnitude and create the appearance that he and his family are using his office to enrich themselves, even if they don't take advantage of the many opportunities to do so."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

But let's be honest: The idea that the Trump kids wouldn't take advantage of the opportunities to enrich the family through a Trump presidency is downright laughable. Of course they will, and every dollar they scoop up will add to the president's personal fortune.

Sure, no American president has seen the White House as a vehicle for personal enrichment before. But that's just because they didn't have Donald Trump's creative visiion.

So if people are saying it's unprecedented and inappropriate and vulgar for him to be using the White House to enrich himself, is Donald Trump going to care? Why should he? He got away with everything else, didn't he?

Comments

WHAT THE PRESIDENCY IS WORTH TO DONALD TRUMP
www.newyorker.com

American Presidents generally exit the White House with expectations of greater wealth. The office creates value; soon after leaving office, a former President can expect to receive a few million dollars for writing a memoir and additional millions for speeches. President Obama told Bloomberg BusinessWeek that he is considering joining a venture-capital firm when he leaves office, a role that could net him a fortune. However, Trump is unique in that his businesses will sell the value of association with him and his name globally while he is sitting in office. Even if Trump doesn't discuss the family business with those family members who are running it, the nature of the Trump Organization -- real estate and hotels -- makes it impossible to hide. Trump famously reads every article and watches every TV program about himself, and, through the media, can easily learn about any significant expansions of his business empire. He could know which countries have become central to his firm's growth and which have rejected his company's proposals.

Trump himself has admitted that his business ventures make even discussing world affairs a difficult proposition. A year ago, in an interview with Stephen Bannon before Bannon became his adviser, when he was still running Breitbart News, Trump said it was hard to answer a question about isis, Russia, and Turkey, because "I have a little conflict of interest 'cause I have a major, major building in Istanbul." He continued, "It's a tremendously successful job. It's called Trump Towers -- two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it's two." It was a stunning comment. Trump has argued that the fight against isis is the No. 1 issue facing the country, yet he was unable to freely discuss his plans because of a building project in Istanbul. What will happen when he has dozens more projects all over the world?

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-11-21 03:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's called a kleptocracy, shielded and enabled by a kakistocracy put in place by a minority of the people.

#2 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-11-21 03:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Now the left is worried about a future pol using an office for personal enrichment after having backed a candidate who not only used that office for personal enrichment by selling favors and approving arms deals for money, but tried to destroy evidence of it????

Thats thicker than a Hillary Leak-Proof Depends that hasnt been changed out in a week...

#3 | Posted by aescal at 2016-11-21 04:09 PM | Reply

If he does 't want his own version of 'Clinton Foundation' dogging him during his entire presidency, Trump would be wise to sell off, or liquidate his business enterprises and put the cash into a blind trust.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-21 04:12 PM | Reply

"Trump would be wise to sell off, or liquidate his business enterprises and put the cash into a blind trust."

That would be like selling off his identity. It's never going to happen.

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2016-11-21 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 I'll bet he plays with little models of everything he owns.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-11-21 06:31 PM | Reply

"I'm shocked,shocked to find" any concerns of conflicts of interest or possible conflicts of interest in this steaming pile of "find the lady". I wish George Carlin was here to see this truly remarkable turn of events.

#7 | Posted by b_al at 2016-11-21 07:32 PM | Reply

Paraphrasing David Frum on the upcoming Trump administration: Follow the graft. It's all about the graft. Everything else is just a sideshow and a distraction.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-21 11:46 PM | Reply

W sent us to war because of his daddy. Now we have Trump who could send us to war because of a two-towered hotel, bearing his name. Sweet.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-21 11:50 PM | Reply

Now we have Trump who could send us to war because of a two-towered hotel, bearing his name. Sweet. POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Possibly on the contrary: "If soldiers are not to cross international borders, goods must do so." - Quote I've seen attributed to Otto T. Mallery, Economist.

#10 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-11-22 12:06 AM | Reply

David Frum Verified account  ‏@davidfrum · Nov 20
Why did Trump settle the Trump U case? Because the time for puny million dollar scams has ended. The time for billion dollar scams has come.

David Frum Verified account  ‏@davidfrum · Nov 20

David Frum Verified account  ‏@davidfrum · 3h3 hours ago
David Frum Retweeted Stephen Marche
The Nazi stuff is a gaudy distraction. Follow the money.

twitter.com

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:09 AM | Reply

Oops, instead of the double post, I meant to post this:

David Frum Verified account  ‏@davidfrum · Nov 19
The controversies will divert you from the scandals.

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:16 AM | Reply

Rightwinger David Frum, the new hero of Clintonites. lol

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-22 12:16 AM | Reply

Nulli, keep repeating your new mantra: "Darkness is good."

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:21 AM | Reply

Probably been posted already, but I got a kick out of this:

No, we're not playing f---, marry, kill. Incoming White House strategist and Breitbart editor Steve Bannon is just name-checking some of his career inspirations when he lists Dick Cheney, Satan, and Darth Vader. "Darkness is good," Bannon told The Hollywood Reporter at Trump Tower, where the presidential transition team is at work. "Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing." (THR reporter Michael Wolff notes that by "they," he believes Bannon is referring to "liberals and the media.") Other historical figures he's into? Why, the genocidal Andrew Jackson and Machiavellian Thomas Cromwell, of course. He reportedly says "with relish": "I am Thomas Cromwell in the court of the Tudors." Well, at least that story had a happy ending.

www.vulture.com

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:32 AM | Reply

-Nulli, keep repeating your new mantra: "Darkness is good."

As a political scientist, I'm fascinated watching the battle between the virtuous Angels of Light and the Dark Lord Sauron, who grabbed the Ring of Power out of the clutches of the Clinton Cabal.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-22 12:44 AM | Reply

I thought you were an economist, Nulli.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 12:47 AM | Reply

Maybe you're both? Jack-of-all trades and all that....

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 12:48 AM | Reply

The powers of darkness always have a seductive power. Anyone who's read Milton knows his Satan is a lot more interesting than his God.

The Clinton Cabal was never as strong as people portrayed it to be (that's why Obama beat her), and now it's dead.

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | Posted by JeffJ

Journalist as well. After all, if CNN can call their DNC operatives "journalists," why not me?

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-22 12:55 AM | Reply

It's not quite dead, yet, Gal.

It just went underground for a while.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 12:56 AM | Reply

Nulli,

If you want to be called a journalist as well, you are going to have to change your screen name to Bill O'Reilly.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 12:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

#22 LOL Touche, Jeff!

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 12:59 AM | Reply

#21 Maybe the ghost is still hovering around the corpse and doesn't know it yet, but it's dead.

#24 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 01:01 AM | Reply

Chelsea?

I'd like to think that it's dead but it might rise out of the ashes like a phoenix.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:04 AM | Reply

Gal,

If Nulli REALLY wants to impress as a journalist, I expect that he can replicate this:

www.youtube.com

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:08 AM | Reply

"As a political scientist"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

As a REAL political scientist (per academic publications), economist (my current occupation) and former/emeritus journalist (LegalReader/Bleepin' Truth) allow me to say again....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all, Billo

#27 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 01:12 AM | Reply

#26 Jeff, ironically, one of my fb friends posted that link today! LOL

#28 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-11-22 01:15 AM | Reply

I'm just putting my head around the fact that I am trolling someone whose raison d'etre was trolling Bill O'Reilly, one of the most despicable human beings ever. You were off to a smashing start.

Judging by the fact that I have never changed my name in 10-plus years and people barely remember me until recently, leads me to think that it isn't me who took a turn for the worse.

I'm still sticking up for minorities and you are Breitbart's fake centrist parrot.

Jeff's right, go back to Bill. Might as well at this point. You are fading into Bolivia (I love Iron Mike).

#29 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 01:22 AM | Reply

Bocaink,

I've only become aware of your handle recently - within the last 12-18 months. You've demonstrated knowledge of old-time DR history so I certainly don't doubt your tenure. I am just surprised that I don't remember your name from long ago. Did you have a long DR hiatus, or something?

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:26 AM | Reply

I don't think Nulli should resurrect BillO. Keep the current handle or perhaps go with Armstrong Williams.

#31 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:27 AM | Reply

#27 | Posted by bocaink
#29 | Posted by bocaink

You mad, Comrade Bo?

#32 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-22 01:30 AM | Reply

#30,

I've been here. More frequent than others, but I think I was generally pretty milquetoast for the DR last decade. I was an accidental Drudge Report searcher in late 2005. I couldn't stand Bush since I was studying to be an FSO in 2000 and his election derailed my career plans. I railed against Bush, I supported Obama, but when I got no relief for my struggling transportation business directly due to the recession, I railed against him too. I posted infrequently but still somewhat consistently, maybe once or twice a week. I've been here. Anyway, I retrained myself into survey science and work for UM now. But, I've been here posting. I've been an anything but Trumper, blaring my trumpet since he became a serious candidate. I'm anti-Republican for many reasons, and I admit my disdain for Republicans clouds my view somewhat of Democrats, but I'm not afraid to call out Dems either when/where I see it. I find Republicans (not necessarily all Conservative principles or adherents to them) to be repulsive scum of the nation. At this point, I do and deal with it. They disgust me. Babbles, Mackris, and Aeschole exemplify my point. But, I've been here and been pretty much say the same thing. I would have voted for a ham sandwich over Hillary, but a ham sandwich wasn't running against Trump, Hillary was, and America made the obviously wrong choice...period...finito, no mas agrumento.

#32 Just that you troll my ass when you are the biggest DR turncoat ever. Even Moneywar thinks you betray your beliefs, Mr. Peabody.

#33 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 01:43 AM | Reply

#33 | Posted by bocaink

Are you going to have another meltdown, Trotsky?

#34 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-11-22 01:46 AM | Reply

I was an accidental Drudge Report searcher in late 2005

That's how I stumbled onto this site in 2004. LOL.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:48 AM | Reply

Moneywar/Crassus thinks Nulli betrays his beliefs?

I've witnessed a bit of an evolution of beliefs coupled with a dramatic change in posting style. But betrayal? I don't see it - still the same guy he's always been.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 01:50 AM | Reply

Well Jeff, he went from rational poster to complete Alt-right troll...what more do you need?

#37 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 01:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#34, Dunno, are hate crimes still never happening?

#38 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 01:53 AM | Reply

"Are you going to have another meltdown, Trotsky?"

Nutcase couldn't convince enough of us to believe his conspiracy theory nonsense and has now, laughably, switched to the other side? Hahahahahaha. I knew you were a joke long ago Nutcase, now you proved it. Go kiss Putin's ass you fool.

#39 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-22 02:18 AM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I love the BillyO ....

#40 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-11-22 02:19 AM | Reply

"You mad, Comrade Bo?"

Says the biggest defender of Putin on this site. Hilarious.

#41 | Posted by danni at 2016-11-22 02:20 AM | Reply

Danni,

Are you confusing Nutcase with Nullifidian?

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-11-22 02:24 AM | Reply

Nutcase may sue for defamation.

#43 | Posted by Corky at 2016-11-22 02:35 AM | Reply

And back on topic...

Just listening to NPR on the way in this morning. Apparently the NY Times ran an article yesterday on the constitutionality of Trump as president based on the constitution.

The entanglements of owning Businesses in foreign nations in particular is - FINALLY - becoming an interesting subject around a Trump Presidency.
New York Times

At this time from my perspective possibly the only thing worse than Trump as President would be Pence. They are both Evil people but Pence makes Donald look almost Angelic when you compare them. Kind of the same as the Bush-Cheney thing... So who is third in line anyhow? (Just a humorous Rhetorical Question - because we know it is another right wing crackpot.)

#44 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2016-11-22 09:22 AM | Reply

There are more similarities between Obama, the Bushes and the Clintons than Wussies will admit. Corruption runs deep in the shadow State, which is our real enemy and master to our elected officials. If you think I've changed you have no clue what goes on.

The job of our elected officials is to manage public anger in the midst of an all out war by the 1% against the 99%. Rethugs and Wussies use different rhetoric, but the purpose is the same. They are taking turns being the first in line at the public feed trough. trump is already taking this violation of the public trust to a new level, before he's even sworn in. But no one should be so naïve as to think Hillary and Bill haven't done the same thing, or that Obama is what he claims to be.

Pointing out our crimes has never made me a Putin lover, though that is a common response and one even used by Hillary against Trump. Managing an engineered decline is complicated.

#45 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-11-22 10:00 AM | Reply

Shawn has a closer grip on reality than Danni.

#46 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-11-22 10:06 AM | Reply

I actually generally enjoy your posts, especially your non-sequitur posts, but Danni has reality very much in scope. Her daughter may lose her healthcare forever because of this.

It's not because of the rabid froth-mouthed right wingers, who could care less if people die from their selfish decisions, it's the people who could have stopped that from happening but chose to stick it to people like Danni's daughter, minorities, American Muslims, because of their dislike for Hillary. Never mind that they all knew Trump would be worse, and would take away Danni's daughter's healthcare, but that wasn't as important as their spite. So now we all get Trump.

Nobody has more at stake for your decisions than Danni on this board, so to say she doesn't have her head in reality while you post a bunch of (enlightening, but still...)philosophical think-pieces is a bit of a self-retort. I appreciate your contributions to the DR Nutcase, but Danni has a reason to feel the way she does. Just like my black former classmate with a disabled son, who has cried herself to sleep following the election, just like our recent spat of hate-crimes here. The election has had and will have real consequences.

#47 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 11:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

My sympathy to Danni with respect to our delusional politics and its dire consequences. There is nothing else like it on this planet. Doctors need to make a living, but they overcharge and the health insurance industry is an unnecessary Royal Scam.

As I've said before, no one here knows how I voted, or how it even counts in Utah. My vote never counts, except when I have lived in the SF Bay Area, half my life.

#48 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-11-22 11:31 AM | Reply

Fair enough, I just wish there was more of a push against Trump instead of whining over Hillary from the Center and Center-Left.

If it were done over again, I am pretty sure there would be. I know it sounds a lot like "I wish more people thought like me," but my conclusions were pragmatic, not ideological.

#49 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 11:37 AM | Reply

We are still in decline. Optimistic economic forecasting reflected a decline in the rate of decline, not the long term trend. The biggest problem was Hillary's campaign was pretending everything is getting better and failing to address the pain of the poor, which Obama has also ignored. Trump addressed this issue directly and blamed the Wussies, Soros, etc... even though he is a huge part of the cause himself and a prolific liar.

www.jta.org

Compare the two ads, consider the target audience, and reconsider why Hillary lost. Hillary ignored a key target voting block, those hit hardest by globalization.

Anybody paying attention here would have noticed I recommended different voting strategies depending on what State you lived in and listed critical wing States, where a vote for Hillary was critical. For those of us in other States other strategies make sense. This country needs meaningful choices, which we are consistently denied.

#50 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-11-22 12:09 PM | Reply

I agree in the long term, but the only meaningful choice we needed to make was to stop Trump. I get that the election exposed a major divide that the left largely ignored, but that was an intraparty battle that should have been fought post election. Now we are all screwed. That was my point all along (not with rural whites, but with Busters vs. Hillbots)

#51 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-11-22 03:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1