Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A bill giving the U.K. intelligence agencies and police the most sweeping surveillance powers in the western world has passed into law with barely a whimper, meeting only token resistance over the past 12 months from inside parliament and barely any from outside. The Investigatory Powers Act, passed on Thursday, legalizes a whole range of tools for snooping and hacking by the security services unmatched by any other country in western Europe or even the US. The security agencies and police began the year braced for at least some opposition, rehearsing arguments for the debate. In the end, faced with public apathy and an opposition in disarray, the government did not have to make a single substantial concession to the privacy lobby. U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden tweeted: "The UK has just legalized the most extreme surveillance in the history of western democracy. It goes further than many autocracies."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The U.S. passed a modest bill last year curtailing bulk phone data collection but the victory of Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential election is potentially a major reverse for privacy advocates. On the campaign trail, Trump made comments that implied he would like to use the powers of the surveillance agencies against political opponents.

The Liberal Democrat peer Lord Strasburger, one of the leading voices against the investigatory powers bill, said: "We do have to worry about a U.K. Donald Trump. If we do end up with one, and that is not impossible, we have created the tools for repression. If Labor had backed us up, we could have made the bill better. We have ended up with a bad bill because they were all over the place. The real Donald Trump has access to all the data that the British spooks are gathering and we should be worried about that."

Comments

Jim Killock, the executive director of Open Rights Group, said: "The UK now has a surveillance law that is more suited to a dictatorship than a democracy. The state has unprecedented powers to monitor and analyse UK citizens' communications regardless of whether we are suspected of any criminal activity."

The UK has raised the bar higher than the other Western countries.How long until we catch up? Will we notice or care?

#1 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-20 08:38 PM | Reply

But, against a backdrop of fears of Islamist attacks, the privacy lobby has failed to make much headway.

Support destabilization of entire middle east to create a paradise for the growth of Islamist ideology, support blind migration of whole populations from predominantly Islamist cultures and then pass sweeping laws to reduce freedoms due to the Islamist threat.

Wasn't this the playbook revealed years ago? Yet still it somehow comes to fruition.

#2 | Posted by daniel_3 at 2016-11-20 09:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#1 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-20 08:38 PM

Won't be long. Look at the Pompeo announcement. Death penalty for whistleblowers like Snowden, the NSA spying was a "valuable tool," etc. And he's the first big Trump appointment to get bipartisan support. D or R running things, that's where we're headed.

#3 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-11-21 11:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Your OP link is dead.

#4 | Posted by Robson at 2016-11-22 03:45 PM | Reply

One of the main worries I had with the far-left, radical "progressive" administration was that it could result in an equal but opposite radical conservative administration. Lordy, I surely hope not but but this administration on he way out ain't helping that with their doubling down on late regulations etc.

#5 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-22 04:09 PM | Reply

The link gave up, it didn't think people GAF about government in our business.
Here's 2 fresh ones, couldn't find the original.
macdailynews.com

www.aljazeera.com

#6 | Posted by Whizzo at 2016-11-22 04:12 PM | Reply

Insurgent liberal UK elites in power invite low life potential terrorist immigrants into the UK (or Sweden, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc) , and now the citizens must deal with having their rights stolen by government super surveillance. Be aware that the same leftist proponents are going to be forcing the USA to face the same plight. Note though that Israel still has a pure Jewish country without multi-culturalism where non Jews and outsiders are kept out by walls and security. Why is such a double standard appropriate for them?

#7 | Posted by Robson at 2016-11-23 07:13 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2016-11-24 07:13 AM | Reply

"The U.K. is trying to find terrorists BEFORE they kill people, instead of closing the barn doors after the horse gets out."

Whereas OUR government wants to remove the barn doors altogether to allow any ol' horses to enter. Why can't we EVER learn from the mistakes of others?

#9 | Posted by jestgettinalong at 2016-11-24 07:42 AM | Reply

Yawwwn.... interesting... but pretty pathetic....

Considering when compared to many corporate workplaces we spend most of our lines in.

They bug the phones, read the emails, watch you whereever you go... time your lunch breaks and bathroom breaks... even dictate what you should eat and where you should live.

More and more workplaces are demanding you turn in your cellphones and iPads before you reach your cube and get them when you return to go home.

Your offices and cubes are randomly searched while you work and totally searched while your home.

You are subjected to mindless meetings where the "leader" speaks to the workers while others watch from the backstage looking for those asleep.

I've worked at many in the valley and I can tell you... North Korea (or the UK) has nothing on them...

#10 | Posted by Pegasus at 2016-11-24 01:56 PM | Reply

Sounds like hell.

I have to clock in in the morning but I spend the rest of my day in the field. I leave when I finish my jobs for the day without clocking out. I have my cell on me all day, if I am running ahead of schedule I can take a nap or a two hour lunch. Meetings are non existent. Maybe they search my van at the end of the night but I doubt it and even if they do unless I was drinking or drugging on the job there isn't much they would find that matters. They certainly can't search it on my lunch break because it's out in the field with me.

Relative pay is pretty high because I have a limited skill set. I don't make silicon valley money but cost of living around here isn't near silicon valley cost. I make more the the median household income for my state.

If you hate it so much leave the rat race come to NC and I'll train you. Pretty much a libertarians dream job.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-11-24 03:02 PM | Reply

Typical that many will give up freedom for safety. Rather find a middle ground.

#12 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-24 04:31 PM | Reply

Typical that many will give up freedom for safety. Rather find a middle ground.

#12 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-11-24 04:31 PM | Reply | Flag

Funny the right was SCREAMING that you had to give up freedoms for security when Dubya was violating our freedoms. Where was those thoughts then???

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2016-11-24 04:35 PM | Reply