Wednesday, October 19, 2016

There was a Florida Senate debate Monday night between Marco Rubio and Patrick Murphy. And in Rubio's opening statement, which lasted only 72 seconds, he made clear the yawning gap between the story Republicans wanted to tell to a skeptical public in this 2016 campaign and the one Donald Trump is telling. This is the key bit:
"I am the son of a bartender and a maid who were immigrants from the island of Cuba. If they had gone to almost any other nation on this planet, there is no way I would be standing on a stage like this tonight. I have a debt to this country I will never fully repay. But I have chosen to try to repay a part of it through public service."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Consider that story and message when compared with Trump's story -- the election is rigged, the media is biased, I didn't assault any women -- on the campaign trail these days. Rubio's personal story speaks to a fundamental belief in the country that you can be anyone you want to be if you work hard enough. Rubio's is a positive story about what makes America exceptional -- as told through the lens of his own personal experience. There is tremendous oratorical power in this line: "I have a debt to this country I will never fully repay."

Comments

Imagine how different things could have been if they nominated Rubio for president instead of Donald Trump.
Instead of a nominee talking about America as if it were heaving its last, dying gasps, they would hear optimism and idealism.

"Let there be no doubt that we are an extraordinary nation," U.S. Sen. Rubio said, acknowledging the deluge of bad news at home and abroad lately. "Yes America has problems. It has more problems than it should because of eight years of Barack Obama. But ask yourself this question: Who would you rather be? What nation on Earth would you trade places with right now? Would you rather be China? Would you rather be any other nation on Earth?"

Yup, would have been a #RubioLandslide with all that #Marcomentum which would have swept the nation during the general election competition. Instead, America chooses between an opaque untrustworthy hag and a predatory conman.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-10-19 12:01 PM | Reply

I like how drawing a paycheck repays your "debt to the country"

If he really wanted to serve "his country" he should volunteer like the rest of us. Just more BS from the little boy.

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2016-10-19 12:08 PM | Reply

""Yes America has problems. It has more problems than it should because of eight years of Barack Obama."

Yeah right, no mention of the worst recession since the Great Depression or the consequences of Bush's unnecessary invasion of Iraq. When guys like this just blame everything wrong on Obama I don't see how anyone takes them seriously. Rubio is a joke. An empty suit. He has no core beliefs, he's just a politician for sale who will do the bidding of those with money.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-19 12:12 PM | Reply

" he's just a politician for sale who will do the bidding of those with money."

???? Tell me again how HRC doesnt do the bidding of Bankers, MIC, Wall Street, Saudi Arabia, etc.. after getting more than 2 billion$$$$ in "doughnations"????

#4 | Posted by aescal at 2016-10-19 12:18 PM | Reply

I like how his five years of the last eight had nothing to do with him or the many "problems" America has. I guess he has just been helpless for five of those eight years ---- so send him back to fail some more

#5 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2016-10-19 12:21 PM | Reply

he's just a politician for sale who will do the bidding of those with money. #3 | POSTED BY DANNI

Let me guess here, you're planning to vote for Rep. Patrick Murphy for Senate, who in 2011 changed his registration from Republican to Democrat (due to his district being remapped), and has funneled Donald Trump real estate development money through his and his father's "small business" operations?
While Patrick Murphy was helping his real estate developer father build slums in south Florida, Marco Rubio was standing up for residents who were taken advantage of by slumlords such as Murphy and his father.

When HUD did not protect residents in Jacksonville, Marco Rubio stepped in to protect his Florida constituents:
www.youtube.com

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-10-19 12:23 PM | Reply

I like how the clown who couldn't win a single presidential party primary is now the standard bearer of the party who voted for a jabrony.

#7 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2016-10-19 01:04 PM | Reply

"I have a debt to pay but I'll be darned if I'm going to show up to work to pay it."

#8 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-19 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES

Hey, be fair! He did only lose 75% of the Presidential primary votes in his home state.

#9 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-19 01:18 PM | Reply

"I have a debt to this country I will never fully repay."

So I will sit in my office, collect $174,000 per year, free health insurance, awesome pension, perks up the ass, rake in millions for my campaign that will hire my family and then only if I am so incompetent as to not get re-elected will I cash is with multi million dollar lobbying contracts. That is how I repay my debt.

- Lil Marco

#10 | Posted by 726 at 2016-10-19 04:03 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY NORTHGUY3 AT 2016-10-19 01:14 PM | FLAG:

I heard his photo was put on milk cartons in the Florida with "MISSING" as the caption.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2016-10-19 04:07 PM | Reply

Rubio is a joke. #3 | POSTED BY DANNI

Lil Marco #10 | POSTED BY 726

You two, just admit it: you dislike him because he is Hispanic and because you both are racist leftwingers.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-10-19 04:26 PM | Reply

#12 no, Rubio is just a silk tongued douche bag who has no business anywhere near the Oval Office.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2016-10-20 01:21 PM | Reply

you dislike him because he is Hispanic

I thought hispanics were stealing American jobs. This klown never showed up for work.

#14 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-21 07:51 PM | Reply