Tuesday, October 18, 2016

NORMAN, Okla. – A Norman North High School teacher is instructing students that "to be white is to be racist, period."

A student at the school who did not want to be identified recently used her cell phone to record a classroom lecture at Norman North High School in which her teacher, who also is not identified, explained how to "heal the racial divide," KFOR reports.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The lecture began with a video about the "Mistreatment of Native Americans" that prompted the student to record the lesson and ended with the teacher's lecture about racism.

In the video, a man "pulls out this globe with a bottle of white out and marks over a country or a piece of country and puts his name on it," the student said.

"So he was basically comparing what he had done to the globe to what we did to America," she said.

When her teacher laid out his theories of racism afterwards, the student said she was stunned.

"To be white is to be racist, period," the teacher said in the recording. "Am I racist? I say yea. I don't want to be. It's not like choose to be racist, but do I do things because of the way I was raised?"

The student was naturally offended by her teacher labeling her a racist.

Comments

The teacher would've been better off simply showing her students ...

George Carlin America was founded on a double standard
www.youtube.com
[1:23]

It's all there.

"You give us a color and we'll wipe it out"
-- George Carlin

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-10-18 08:09 PM | Reply

The white Jews my parents knew in Meridian, Miss. in 1963, who had FBI agents parked in front of their houses every night because the local racists wanted to kill them were definitely not racists. The three civil rights workers who were murdered outside Philadelphia, Miss. were definitely not racists. Many other examples. Therefore, this teacher is full of crap and should be fired.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-18 08:15 PM | Reply

It's like saying I am white when my last name is Hispanic even though my skin is white.

Back in 63' they were probably thought to be communist agitators by the locals also.

But I do agree this teacher is full of crap.

#3 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-18 08:49 PM | Reply

Some Jews are white, those that are eastern European in origin at least. Many Jews are not racist, many are not religious.
It is a bit racist to call an entire ethic group racist though.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2016-10-18 09:17 PM | Reply

No, your wrong. If we are to believe the diaspora they all came from Palestine. The color of ones skin does not make a race. I myself am white but my brothers and sisters are brown. That's genetics.

And they don't describe themselves as "The Tribe," for nothing.

It's exclusionary on the face of it.

#5 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-18 09:53 PM | Reply

"#2 - Jews aren't white. They are middle eastern. And Jews are very racist. Tribal as they put it. "

I can't really believe you posted that racist, antiymmetic comment. They were Jews, you can argue about their "whiteness" all by yourself, but they were brave proponents of civil rights for black people in an environment where people got beaten and killed for saying the things they said. And then an idiot like you comes along today criticizing them, calling them Communits? Hilarious! These were rich doctors and lawyers who would never have wanted Communism, they just wanted Civil Rights for black people because it was absolutely the right thing to advocate even if it put your own life in danger and now you think you can diminish their righteous and courage, you'r full of crap. If you had a brain you'd be embarrassed and ashamed. But you don't, so you won't.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-18 10:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Several small glasses of Scotch does affect my spelling but not my intent.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-18 10:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

People really don't get this comment?

Do the Swedes call themselves white? No, Swedish.
Do the French call themselves white? No, French.
Do the Germans call themselves white? No, German.
Do Ethiopians call themselves black? No, Ethiopian.

White is a social construct created by the policy of slavery and segregation of blacks.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I just filled out a questionnaire for my doctor (yesterday). I was given options regarding race. Swedish, French, German and Ethiopian were not options. I chose "caucasian".

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:12 PM | Reply

You certainly made Sala proud by busting out slavery though.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:12 PM | Reply

and so the student learns.

#11 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-18 10:13 PM | Reply

then you chose the European option.

#12 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-18 10:16 PM | Reply

i bet there was a non specifying option. you should have taken that.

#13 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-18 10:17 PM | Reply

Race isn't regional, it's biological.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:19 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by JeffJ

Welcome to America, where racism is in our DNA.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:19 PM | Reply

I didn't notice a non-specifying option. But then, I know what I am and it's not some post-modern anything-goes construct.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:20 PM | Reply

I am proud of the progress that has been made regarding racism of the past 6 decades or so. You seem unwilling or unable to recognize and acknowledge it.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:21 PM | Reply

How black you were by ancestry had a huge impact on your legal standing in America, for most of American history.

You understand that, right?

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:21 PM | Reply

What progress has been made since 1965?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:22 PM | Reply

The black-white income gap is roughly 40 percent greater today than it was in 1967. www.nytimes.com

Progress?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:23 PM | Reply

Because of the catastrophic experiment in mass incarceration, black men in their 20s without a high school diploma are more likely to be incarcerated today than employed www.nytimes.com

Progress?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:24 PM | Reply

Amazingly, that's right around the time the Great Society was enacted which was supposed to disproportionately help blacks.

What progress has been made since 1965?

#19 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

You are truly pathetic if you are actually serious with that question.

Ebs is right, I should plonk you. But, since I don't plonk, I will just ignore you, at least for the remainder of this evening.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 10:26 PM | Reply

You said progress. I asked you for examples, and provided examples of what I consider to be the opposite of progress.
Either you can substantiate your claim of progress, or you cannot.
Looks like you can't, so to save face, you're choosing to end the conversation by simply pouting.

You could have said electing a black President, but I'm not sure you consider that progress, based on who he turned out to be.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-18 10:29 PM | Reply

#9 I chose "caucasian"

That's still an option? You know where that comes from right?

I thought they changed it to simply "white".

We don't come from the Caucasus mountain region, despite it's people having the most perfect skulls and the land white clay (so God could fashion white people) - as was once believed.

For God's sake, the term isn't even scientific. More like Natural Philosophy.

#24 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-10-18 10:53 PM | Reply

surely you jest. white folk racist. NO WÀY.

YOUR DECISIONS must be based on history alone. (snark)

#25 | Posted by fresno500 at 2016-10-19 08:58 AM | Reply

'"You start telling someone something over and over again that's an opinion and they start taking it as fact," the student told the news site. "So I wanted him to apologize and make it obvious and apparent to everyone that was his opinion."'

Wow. The student is alot more forgiving than I am. I would think any teacher who spouts racist comments during class time should be fired immedidately for spouting racist comments during class time.

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-19 09:58 AM | Reply

"You start telling someone something over and over again that's an opinion and they start taking it as fact," the student told the news site."

True, but Fox News does it every day and is still considered "news" by far too many.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-19 10:42 AM | Reply

#6 - Danni educate yourself about the civil rights movement. It was not about blacks, they were merely the foot soldiers. Follow the money and you will see the truth.

#28 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-19 10:46 AM | Reply

"Danni educate yourself about the civil rights movement."

a statement so dumb that it isn't worthy of a serious response.

#29 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-19 11:16 AM | Reply

Yes Danni,

It is easier to hide from the truth when we find comfort in our self made fallacies.

#30 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-19 11:40 AM | Reply

My guess is he doesn't believe it and he's trying to be edgy.

#31 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2016-10-19 01:36 PM | Reply

or he's trying to make them think, ie, teach.

#32 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-20 10:09 AM | Reply

or he's trying to make them think, ie, teach.

#32 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-20 10:09 AM | Reply

Teach them to be racists?

#33 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-20 10:25 AM | Reply

To look further than what you are told.

That is learning...

#34 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-20 04:39 PM | Reply

Y'all really can't figure out that "White" only exist in opposition to "Black?"

Because of different legal standings based on whether Americans were white or black?

Seriously?

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-20 04:50 PM | Reply

Snoofy - the dichotomy started long before the US had slaves. We just codified it out of greed.

#36 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-20 09:51 PM | Reply

Yeah, I don't think anyone is claiming the Founding Fathers invented racism. As you said, they merely codified it.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-20 09:59 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2016-10-18 10:20 PM | FLAG:

Indeed: it is an essentialized (but equally arbitrary) construct that you accept uncritically as biological fact! How do people get out of school still thinking so... pre-critically?

#38 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2016-10-21 03:10 AM | Reply