Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Gettysburg College freshman James Goodman began his first moments of higher education by being lectured by campus leaders about "toxic masculinity," he tells The College Fix in an interview.

Students who "identify as male" were shown a docudrama film about masculinity. The film, titled "The Mask You Live In," was part of the lessons warning students that the notion of masculinity comes with harmful side effects, he said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

According to the trailer of the film, it teaches that the "three most destructive words" a boy can hear growing up is "be a man." Experts quoted therein also suggest that violent outbursts are prompted by masculinity pressures because "respect is linked to violence."

"They really buy into a culture that doesn't value what we feminize," says scholar Dr. Niobe Way in the trailer, continuing that people of both genders will "go crazy" under that construct.

Psychiatrist Dr. James Gilligan added "whether it's homicidal violence or suicidal violence, people resort to such desperate behavior only when they are feeling shame or humiliated, or feel they would be if they didn't prove that they were real men."

As he makes the comments, headlines reporting on suicides and murder-suicides flashed on screen.

Comments

All the real men I have known couldn't care less about what others said about them and especially comments about what it meant to be a "real man." "Real men" don't care what anyone tells them what it means to be a "real man." I've seen "real men" crying, being nurturing to children and others, being a "real man" is a biologically obvious situation. The kind of "real man" any man is, that's a measure of his character. Pretty much, same goes for women.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-18 08:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

sometimes you have to dial it back, for others to have a chance to _catch up.

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-18 10:43 PM | Reply

btw, James Goodman chose that class.

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-18 10:46 PM | Reply

I wonder if the doctor considers femininity to be toxic as well?

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-10-18 11:50 PM | Reply

I was about to offer my 2 cents but then I read Danni's #1 and I can't improve on that.

I'll give her a NW.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-19 12:14 AM | Reply

I accidentally tagged her post as funny and then switched it to NW. Hopefully the NW sticks and the funny drops off.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-19 12:15 AM | Reply

I wonder if the doctor considers femininity to be toxic as well?
#4 | Posted by HeliumRat

Most doctors would advise you that you're well overdue to change your tampon.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 12:21 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by danni at 2016-

Yup, I agree

#8 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2016-10-19 12:31 AM | Reply

When I've been told to "be a man" I've always construed it to mean: Be accountable - take responsibility - take the tough steps to do the right thing.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-19 12:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

There's actually a difference between "be a man" and "real man" comments.

"Be a man" is usually used in a positive way as in be an adult and own up to what you've done and take repsonsibility for it. Can also be used to tell someone not to be petty or overly scared about something. Or negatively in a peer pressuring kind of way.

"Real man" comments are usually half joking brags like "Real men shoot their own dinner" or something like that. Although some people actually believe what they are saying when they make these comments.

Neither are necessarily toxic or destructive. It always depends on the actual idea these phrases are meant to convey in context.

But apparently part of being a young man these days is having to politely endure the silly bigotries of petty school administrators. The best way to deal with it is to bite one's tongue, get the diploma and then voice any objections in response to the school's request for an alumni donation.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-19 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Most doctors would advise you that you're well overdue to change your tampon.

#7 | Posted by snoofy

I am sure you would know all about that.

#11 | Posted by Sniper at 2016-10-19 01:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

2016.

Where it's no longer politically correct to be a man.

The neutering of American men continues.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 02:12 PM | Reply

Sure. But let's get to the issue.
How do you give this advice to someone who is a woman?
What does "be a woman" mean? Does it man all those same things?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 02:16 PM | Reply

What does "be a woman" mean?

It doesn't mean anything. It's not a saying.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 02:19 PM | Reply

So when you want to tell a woman to do all the things that it takes for a man to be a man, there's no easy way to tell her that.

Perhaps women are innately good and don't need such reminders...

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 02:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Being a man is frowned upon? Son of a bitch, i just can't win!
-Chaz Bono.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2016-10-19 02:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

when you want to tell a woman to do

You never tell a woman to do anything.

You chauvinistic pig.

#17 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 02:31 PM | Reply

I sometimes tell my wife what to do.

"Honey, why don't you just sit in the scotch chair and read your book. I'll dust the upstairs bedrooms this evening."

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-19 02:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Man Up." "Be a Man."

Ways for guys to tell other guys to toughen up and stop complaining.

Suddenly is "toxic".

Because neutered America can't allow men to have some vernacular to ourselves.

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 02:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ways for guys to tell other guys to toughen up and stop complaining.

A way for the herd to stifle dissent, yes.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 02:48 PM | Reply

Ways for guys to tell other guys to toughen up and stop complaining.

A way for the herd to stifle dissent, yes.
#20 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2016-10-19 02:48 PM | FLAG:

What's the matter Snoof?

Kids at school mean to you and bully you around.

Then when you told an adult they told you to man up.

So you cried yourself to sleep?

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 02:57 PM | Reply

Yes. I failed to man up. Good job demonstrating the toxicity.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 03:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yes. I failed to man up. Good job demonstrating the toxicity.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-19 03:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

If you are the result of this "toxicity" then perhaps I do need to re-think my beliefs on this...

#23 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-19 03:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yes. I failed to man up.
#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2016-10-19 03:00 PM | FLAG:

It's okay.

There's a surgery for men who don't wanna be a man anymore.

And you can now use which ever restroom you desire.

Well. In some places.

#24 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-10-19 03:06 PM | Reply

--The neutering of American men continues.

This entire thread is a microaggression against my safe space,

Sincerely,