Monday, October 17, 2016

TWhen I was 16, I was working in a drug store behind a counter where we sold makeup, jewelry, and watches. A man came into the store. He was scraggly, thin, wearing a faded tan T-shirt and loose gray sweatpants. He was wearing a grin, too.....

Comments

This is a great point:

But Michelle Obama is being dishonest and disingenuous. She supports a woman who has viciously attacked women who say they were the victims of her husband's sexual deviancy. They are no different than the women coming forward now, except their stories have stood the test of time, and have been corroborated. Yet they get no sympathy from Michelle and Hillary, only scorn and ridicule. [snip]
The same is true for the alleged victims of Bill Clinton. Michelle apparently never felt shaken by what happened to Juanita Broaddrick, who testified that Clinton attacked her, biting her lip to keep her quiet, then pushing her onto a bed and raping her. Michelle has expressed no empathy for her, even though there were witnesses to Broaddrick's injuries.

Michelle never claims to have trembled for Paula Jones, who said Clinton pulled her "over like he has done this a million times and grabs me and pulls me over to him to the windowsill and tries to kiss me." He then dropped his pants.

This is good too:

The truth is, she knows nothing of my feelings, my pain, or my shame. Her words are full of manipulation, using women who have suffered for her own purposes. In a way, she's no different from the predatorial men who use women like objects to feed their own lusts. For Michelle -- and Hillary -- it's lust for power, and they'll use anyone to get it -- even women like me.

While many are praising Michelle for her speech and shaming of Trump, her words left me empty and cold. She spoke no comfort to me. They only reminded me of how evil people can be when they use others' vulnerability for their own gain.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-17 05:54 PM | Reply

"Appeal to emotion or argumentum ad passiones or appeal to feels is a logical fallacy characterized by the manipulation of the recipient's emotions in order to win an argument, especially in the absence of factual evidence.[1]"
en.wikipedia.org

I'm not attacking the victim, just pointing out that the author you quote, JJ, stepped into a giant pile of fallacy without any care at all. Almost like...that was the point.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:02 PM | Reply

Beach,

I would counter that Michelle was taking the Trump accusers at their word and those are ALL alleged and these allegations are ALL coming out in coordinated fashion, in October. Yet, Mrs. Obama acted real upset about it.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-17 06:05 PM | Reply

"Is Trump the same? I don't know. I don't have proof of that. I do know the party he represents is not hostile to women, but supports policies that protect them and honor their dignity and rights. That's not true of the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton. Given her history -- a history replete with sexism and policies that assault women -- I refuse to let her lies and the false sympathies of Michelle Obama become the standard by which I choose the next president."

I hope we are all familiar with the term, "rationalization".

btw, not to ruin a popular rwing meme, but...

"All, in all, we think Trump's blanket charge that Clinton "viciously" attacked these women to be an exaggeration too far."

www.cnn.com

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2016-10-17 06:09 PM | Reply

Yet, Mrs. Obama acted real upset about it.
#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

And you don't think that argument could have been made without conjuring up the image of Billy Clin-tone biting his rape victim's bottom lip to keep her quiet?

HAHA! It's an argument to be made, for sure; just a terrible means of presenting it.

Anyways, are you, or the author, suggesting Michelle did not act real upset upon hearing about Bill's transgressions with women? Is that where the suggested hypocrisy lies?

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:13 PM | Reply

Obama is such a hypocrite. In 2008 she attacked Hillary for the scandals, saying:

"If you can't run your own house, you can't run the White House."

#8 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-17 06:16 PM | Reply

In a February 1999 NBC interview, correspondent Lisa Myers asked Broaddrick, "did Bill Clinton or anyone near him ever threaten you, try to intimidate you, do anything to keep you silent?"

Broaddrick answered: "no."

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

JJ,

So according to NULLI:

In 2008 she attacked Hillary for the scandals, saying:
"If you can't run your own house, you can't run the White House."

#8 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Michelle did sympathize with Bill's victims. I wonder why the author of the quote you offered didn't consider Michelle's statements from 2008.

#11 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:20 PM | Reply

My guess is that because, in spite of what she said in '08, she is campaigning on behalf of Hillary and did so in her speech by feeling the pain of sexual assault victims.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-17 06:28 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

That's a good guess. And one that's appropriately accurate, is my guess.

#15 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:31 PM | Reply

You guys are being unfair.
It's like you're saying Yoko Ono is the reason all of her husband's music is so awful.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-17 06:32 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

THE reason? No, but she was a despicable enabler though (you see what I did there?).

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:43 PM | Reply

Absolutely. But at some point, he did those things. He had a little help from his friends, but he did them.

The point I was making though is that it's unfair to judge Yoko's art with your judgment colored by the fact that she was married to a man who engaged in artistic crimes against humanity. It's hard to ignore, I agree. But I think it's called a public position and a private position, or something, and they're being conflated.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-17 06:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

DOCUMENTING TRUMP'S ABUSE OF WOMEN
For his 1993 book, "The Lost Tycoon," Harry Hurt III acquired Ivana's divorce deposition, in which she stated that Trump raped her.

The part of the book that caused the most controversy concerns Trump's divorce from his first wife, Ivana. Hurt obtained a copy of her sworn divorce deposition, from 1990, in which she stated that, the previous year, her husband had raped her in a fit of rage.

In Hurt's account, Trump was furious that a "scalp reduction" operation he'd undergone to eliminate a bald spot had been unexpectedly painful. Ivana had recommended the plastic surgeon.

In retaliation, Hurt wrote, Trump yanked out a handful of his wife's hair, and then forced himself on her sexually. Afterward, according to the book, she spent the night locked in a bedroom, crying; in the morning, Trump asked her, "with menacing casualness, ‘Does it hurt?' "

Trump has denied both the rape allegation and the suggestion that he had a scalp-reduction procedure. Hurt said that the incident, which is detailed in Ivana's deposition, was confirmed by two of her friends."

www.newyorker.com

Of course, in some Republican circles, "wife rape" is an oxymoron.

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2016-10-17 06:50 PM | Reply

"It brought back a memory for me. A terrible one. When I was 16, I was working in a drug store behind a counter where we sold makeup, jewelry, and watches. A man came into the store. He was scraggly, thin, wearing a faded tan T-shirt and loose gray sweatpants. He was wearing a grin, too....."

I don't believe her.

Signed,
You Know Who You Are

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-17 06:53 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

HAHA! Well done.

#24 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:56 PM | Reply

Sl*ts and nuts and bimbos.. ~ HRC on sexual assault survivors...

#25 | Posted by aescal at 2016-10-17 06:59 PM | Reply

Sl*ts and nuts and bimbos.. ~ Trump on sexual assault survivors...

#26 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 07:01 PM | Reply

"I don't believe her."

Aescal on Ivana.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-17 07:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Beach,

I would say that Snopes is being charitable to Obama. Shocker!

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-17 07:08 PM | Reply

John Lennon engaged in artistic crimes against humanity?

#32 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-17 07:45 PM | Reply

the author's scales need calibrating.

#33 | Posted by ichiro at 2016-10-17 07:51 PM | Reply

They spent $75,000,000 investigating Bill Clinton and found a BJ, nothing else. When we've spent $75,000,000 investigating Trump let me know. Some women do lie, when we spent $75,000,000 we would have discovered any and all wrong doings of Bill, we found a consensual BJ. Bill has been hauled before courts, etc. Trump is going to be in December. Do we want to be a country that actually elects a rapist of a 13 year old? Personally, before I elected Trump I'd want that case resolved and adjudicated before we elected him President. But hey, that's just me.

#34 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-17 08:27 PM | Reply

We did find out that one of Bill's accusers had a penchant for not being honest during that investigation.

"The Final Report of the U.S. Office of the Independent Counsel report noted that "Willey and President Clinton are the only direct witnesses to their meeting, and their accounts differ substantially on the crucial facts of what occurred." It also stated "Willey gave false information to the FBI about her sexual relationship with a former boyfriend, and acknowledged having lied about it when the agents confronted her with contradictory evidence."

#35 | Posted by 726 at 2016-10-18 07:46 AM | Reply

I would say that Snopes is being charitable to Obama. Shocker!
#28 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

So no claim they are covering for him then, eh? And nothing definitive to suggest Obama WAS flaunting an -------- in front of a dozen or so reporters?

Sheesh. Whatever it takes, eh JJ?

#36 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-18 06:34 PM | Reply

That's what it looked like when I watched the video, Beach.

Maybe it was coincidental as Snopes suggests. However, they displayed a bias right off the bat, so I am taking their analysis with a grain of salt.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 06:36 PM | Reply

That's what it looked like when I watched the video, Beach.

#38 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-18 06:36 PM | Reply