Monday, October 17, 2016

Roger Ailes no longer runs Fox News. And Shepard Smith came out today. But those two things are not related, say Smith in a new interview. The Fox News anchor came out today in response to a question about whether Ailes had forced him to remain in the closet. "That's not true," he told the Huffington Post in an interview when asked about the reports. "He was as nice as he could be to me." Gawker reported in 2014 that Smith had said "it's time" to come out during contract negotiations, but Ailes bluntly told him the channel's conservative audience wouldn't tolerate a gay anchor. Fox News denied the report at the time with a joint statement by Ailes and Smith that didn't address Smith's sexual orientation. "This story is 100 percent false and a complete fabrication," they wrote.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

"This story is 100 percent false and a complete fabrication,"

Like much of their news.

#1 | Posted by bat4255 at 2016-10-17 05:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Knew it.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 05:54 PM | Reply

Hmm... Did not know Don Lemon was gay.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-10-17 06:02 PM | Reply

Stephen A. is all talk. A big mouth with nothing to back it up. I'm sure Fox News has trained Shep Smith in some brutal MMA fighting techniques ala Bill O'Reilly's loofah.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-17 06:06 PM | Reply

Shep Smith and Megan are the only 2 there that have any sense of decency. Shep Smith coming out doesn't change my opinion of the guy.

#8 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2016-10-17 07:11 PM | Reply

Good luck in his new job at MSNBC...

#9 | Posted by catdog at 2016-10-17 07:30 PM | Reply

He... had to come out? Who couldn;t tell within thirty seconds? This is like the Anderson cooper thing.

#10 | Posted by soheifox at 2016-10-17 08:41 PM | Reply

Odd. For some reason, I thought Shep came out years ago.

#11 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-10-17 08:44 PM | Reply

I have pretty good gay-dar.
And I couldn't tell he was gay at all.
He doesn't seem any gayer than the candelabra atop my grand piano.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-17 08:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I have pretty good gay-dar."

No you don't.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-17 08:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

"He... had to come out? Who couldn;t tell within thirty seconds? This is like the Anderson cooper thing"

I didn't know either one was until they revealed it. I could tell Don Lemon was though. *shrug*

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2016-10-17 09:30 PM | Reply

He must need ratings.

#15 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-17 10:31 PM | Reply

I didn't know he was gay, and I couldn't care less. I have always thought he was a good anchor and an all around decent guy. My opinion hasn't changed. Good for him on being out to the public though.

#16 | Posted by moomanfl at 2016-10-17 11:33 PM | Reply

Next, Ms. Lindsey reveals who was going to be the "First Lady" if he'd been elected President.

#17 | Posted by DCTexan at 2016-10-18 03:10 AM | Reply

I couldn't tell with any of them. Why? Because when I watch the news, the sexual orientation of the anchor means less than nothing to me. I don't care. Give me the news. Give me the truth. Shep is the only anchor on that ---- station that does not have a predetermined angle on reporting a story. That said, good for him coming out. It is important for men and women who are struggling with accepting who they are to see positive role models that provides affirmation that they can succeed and be who they are.

#20 | Posted by 726 at 2016-10-18 07:59 AM | Reply

Who couldn;t tell within thirty seconds?

I think most people couldn't tell Shep Smith was gay. He's been on Fox News for 20 years. I didn't hear anything about him being gay until the last 3 years or so. Believing that gay men all have obvious mannerisms is clearly not true to anyone who knows gay people. Gays are as varied as straights. World takes all kinds.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2016-10-18 10:04 AM | Reply

There's a lot in the Fox News closet, but this isn't it.
This is only news because the nasty ------- oriented ethics of the Inquisition didn't die with the Middle Ages.

#23 | Posted by JayClark at 2016-10-18 11:59 AM | Reply

If there's nothing wrong with being gay, there's nothing wrong with talking about Shepard Smith being gay when he's chosen to reveal it.

He's probably making several million a year to present the news. That makes the basic facts of his personal life interesting to people.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2016-10-18 01:07 PM | Reply

"Coming out" is so 1980s. Who even cares any more? Reminds me of one of our friends who did came out back then, when he made that announcement, none of us were even slightly surprised. And it didn't change a thing. Come on, how many people do we actually have sex with?

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-18 01:55 PM | Reply

Who even cares any more?

It's becoming less of a big deal, but there are still places in American life where gays feel pressure to hide their orientation. Shep's the first anchor at Fox News to come out. This makes it easier for future gay employees at his network and others to feel like it won't kill their career to be open about who they are.

#26 | Posted by rcade at 2016-10-18 02:02 PM | Reply

#24 Odd logic: There's nothing wrong with being gay, therefore it's news. Something seems to be left out here. I wonder what.

#27 | Posted by JayClark at 2016-10-18 02:32 PM | Reply

When Hillarys favorite Saudi donors accept gay men and not behead them it should be news...

Until then..

Money > whats right

Kudos to Mr Shep.

#28 | Posted by aescal at 2016-10-18 03:50 PM | Reply

Odd logic: There's nothing wrong with being gay, therefore it's news.

What's odd about the love lives of celebrities being news? There's good news and bad news. There doesn't need to be anything "wrong" for something about famous people to be newsworthy.

#29 | Posted by rcade at 2016-10-18 05:01 PM | Reply

I seem to remember that he came out a few years ago. But at the time, he said something to the effect that he wasn't going to make a statement about it at that time.

#30 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2016-10-19 11:19 AM | Reply