Saturday, October 15, 2016

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone devices will be banned from aircraft in the United States starting on Saturday at noon EDT (1600 GMT) under an emergency order, regulators said on Friday after numerous reports of the devices catching fire. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) scrapped its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone on Tuesday because of incidents where the phones began smoking or caught fire, dealing a huge blow to its reputation. The decision came after reports of fires in replacement devices prompted a new round of warnings from regulators, phone carriers and airlines.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

subtitle: Airlines show bigotry and bias against flaming phones [if they are properly vetted they should be allowed to enter!].

#1 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-10-15 07:52 PM | Reply

How come the US isn't banning them from being sold? Customer beware?

#2 | Posted by Crassus at 2016-10-15 08:41 PM | Reply

I got rid of all my other phones and have been using Galaxy Note 5 (the one before 7... there is no "note 6") since a year now. The user experience is so superior to other phones it's unbelievable.... only LG's V20 comes close.

I was genuinely sad to see the Note 7 in trouble. This giant phone is the best of the best... yes, way better than iCrap-7.

The only other Note user on the Retort that I know of is GOATMAN. I got hooked after he told us about it.

How come the US isn't banning them from being sold?

Because the vast majority of them work just fine. It was only like 40 phones out of millions.

Samsung has scrapped the model anyway.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-10-15 10:37 PM | Reply

Top 5 phones that can replace your ill-fated Note 7

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-10-15 11:01 PM | Reply

...since a year now.

LOL. Only one other poster has ever used that archaic use of "since".

Must be a Texas thing.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-15 11:09 PM | Reply

Must be.

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-10-15 11:12 PM | Reply

I still rely on my 10-dollar LG Tracfone from Wally World. The downside is when I replace it, I have to manually re-enter all the names and numbers. At that time I may adjust the people to whom I wish to speak, insofar as a name no longer appears ... just a number, probably SPAM.

#7 | Posted by john47 at 2016-10-16 09:48 AM | Reply

We just got emails about this from an airline we'll be flying next week.

#8 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-17 04:45 AM | Reply

Returning mine this week, a second time. It was indeed a pretty awesome phone, but after disrespecting their customers and making a total mess of the recall, I have no plans to buy a samsung product again. Going for the google pixel xl.

The stylus tech is **really** cool.

#9 | Posted by Dibblda at 2016-10-17 11:45 AM | Reply

The stylus tech is **really** cool.

Absolutely. Specially now that it can't be shoved in backwards, destroying the phone.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-10-17 01:09 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain

I use a Note 5 as well. Don't use the stylus that much. Bought a case for it that holds my license and 5 debit/credit cards. It's convenient to not have to carry a wallet too. And the big screen is nice.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-17 03:08 PM | Reply