Saturday, October 15, 2016

A new advertising campaign from SickKids Foundation showcases the bravery of its patients such as Hartley Bernier, a seven-year-old who spent the first 100 days of his life in the hospital and has been in treatment ever since. At SickKids, more than 80 per cent of patients with cancer survive, about 98.5 per cent of heart surgeries are successful and the mortality rate from liver failure for intestinal diseases like Hartley's has dropped to less than 1 per cent, from 22 per cent in 2000. The new message is one of strength over sadness. "He is a little fighter," Hartley's father said. "Everybody's got to be brave together. That collective energy has a lot of power."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Please help me embed the video. Thank you.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-10-14 12:04 PM | Reply

As a Cancer Survivor,

I say Huzzah!

Kids are Amazing...

#2 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-10-14 09:25 PM | Reply

Wow? That was an amazing watch. It's easy to forget about the suffering kids have to go through, that video is a great reminder.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-15 10:45 AM | Reply

Holy crap, this is fantastic. The use of an in-your-face rap track is an edgy and effective gambit that supports the warrior motif.

#4 | Posted by cbob at 2016-10-15 01:04 PM | Reply

I understand calling them brave, but what they are is remarkably unlucky.

It's almost like childhood cancer only affects the bravest children... see why that is wrong?

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-15 01:51 PM | Reply

Snoofy. See it from the point of people who are facing medical problems.

Any parent who has had to walk with a child through illness will tell you this is spot on when it comes to the bravery needed to get through it all.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-10-15 03:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I absolutely encourage telling sick kids they are brave and strong and can fight this.

I also understand why we tell lies to children we don't say to grown-ups. I'm not even opposed. But let's keep it for the children.

It's a pet peeve of mine, that's all.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-15 03:37 PM | Reply

These kids are certainly brave all right.

The parents deserve some credit, too. They have to circumnavigate our medieval health care system to try and save their children lives.

That has got to be emotional hell.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-10-15 05:19 PM | Reply

I understand calling them brave, but what they are is remarkably unlucky.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-15 01:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

Better than pitying them.

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2016-10-15 05:49 PM | Reply

How are they brave? They got sick. What is their choice?
Does this mean the ones that die are the weak ones?

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2016-10-16 05:42 AM | Reply

You think you're better than these kids? *shows sick kids pictures of child gravestones.

-TFD

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-10-16 11:11 AM | Reply

Maybe I've only met the exceptions, but the kids I've run into with cancer are motoring through life without the constant "look at me, I'm a special snowflake because I've had cancer" adults.

And before anyone gets their panties in the knot, my mother died of liver cancer and my wife has had a lumpectomy(which almost got botched into a radical masectomy by the "best" cancer surgeon at the University of Michigan, a blunder which cost him his teaching job), and a hysterectomy due to cancer, so I've been close to the disease.

#12 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-16 07:48 PM | Reply

These kids would be more motivated if they listened to metal, the rap is making them having ------ taste in music, which weakens their natural immunities.

#13 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-10-16 07:58 PM | Reply

I also understand why we tell lies to children we don't say to grown-ups.
#7 | Posted by snoofy

You mean like Santa Claus?

#14 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-10-17 12:30 AM | Reply