Thursday, October 13, 2016

Bob Dylan has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature, becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious award. The 75-year-old rock legend received the prize "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." The balladeer, artist and actor is the first American to win since novelist Toni Morrison in 1993. In 112 years, no songwriter has ever won before. The decision elevates song lyrics to being on a critical par with literature, poetry and playwriting.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Oh, I'm sailin' away, my own true love
I'm sailin' away in the morning
Is there something I can send you from across the sea
From the place that I'll be landing?
No, there's nothin' you can send me, my own true love
There's nothin' I wish to be ownin'
Just carry yourself back to me unspoiled
From across that lonesome ocean

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 07:19 AM | Reply

As much as I enjoy bob Dylan, this diminishes the value of the prize and a real insult to those real authors who actually write literature.

I could much better appreciate a nobel prize for music or arts.

#2 | Posted by Crassus at 2016-10-13 07:29 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Fortunately I didn't bet the farm on the Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, Ted Nugent, and Monkees trifecta.

#3 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 08:13 AM | Reply

"this diminishes the value of the prize and a real insult to those real authors who actually write literature."

You just don't understand the meaning of literature. Bob Dylan is the greatest poet of my generation.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-13 08:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Asked who the greatest Beat poet was, Lawrence Ferlinghetti listed Dylan.

Blessings on everyone who wins a Nobel Prize, even South American authors and their inpenentrable novels.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2016-10-13 08:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As the Academy put it, Dylan earned the the honor "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 08:46 AM | Reply

Since poets have won this prize, I don't see why someone who is in effect setting poems to music is unworthy. Dylan's doing something special in songwriting and he's done it for six decades. This is a great achievement he richly deserves.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2016-10-13 09:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Thieves are sometimes honored for the cunning nature of their thefts.

#8 | Posted by ExpectingReign at 2016-10-13 09:46 AM | Reply

Congrats to Dylan. I'm in no position to judge whether or not his songwriting doesn't qualify for this award.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2016-10-13 09:54 AM | Reply

Not the worst Nobel decision (Obama, Arafat) but it just seem redundant at this point in Dylan's career.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-13 10:04 AM | Reply

Just as long as he didn't win it for his vocal talents. But yes, his work is poetry, has a message and is to the average lyrics as Hemingway is to Danielle Steele.

#11 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-13 10:33 AM | Reply

Taking my kid to school this morning we heard "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" come on the radio. My daughter said he had a weird voice. So true, I conceded. But what a songwriter. He's a poet, I said.

I hadn't heard about the Nobel yet.

And oh, mama, what a swinging band Bob had with him then. Joe South, Al Kooper, Kenny Buttrey, Pig Robbins and the rest. Half a friggin' century ago. Right before his motorcycle crash.

vimeo.com

#12 | Posted by cbob at 2016-10-13 10:45 AM | Reply

"Redundant"
LOL!
More like "apotheosis," dear boy.
Respectfully submitted,
V. S. Naipaul
Harold Pinter
Doris Lessing
Svetlana Alexievich

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 10:47 AM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 10:47 AM | Reply | Flag:

I don't care if you disagree with my opinion but name dropping is never impressive.

What I meant is that people or not going to think any more of Bob Dylan or his work as a result of this. He's already achieved a level of noteriety and respect that transends awards. The body of work that he's winning the award for has also been around for decades and he could have won this at any point during the last 30 years.

#14 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-13 11:02 AM | Reply

All those who sneer at Dylan's prowess as a writer haven't read his book "Chronicles, Volume 1". Do so and you will understand. His description of a friend made in his first days in New York ("there was a fire between him and the rest of the world") is an image that I'll carry for the rest of my life.

Yes, he mumbles and cannot sing anymore, but so what? After writing so many great songs, he deserves a break from the talk. And remember--people aren't paying him to get a haircut...

#15 | Posted by catdog at 2016-10-13 11:16 AM | Reply

Future Nobel Peace prizes:

2017: Hillarious Rodham
2018: Black Lives Matter
2019: ISIS

Literature:

2017: Kanye West
2018: Beyonce
2019: Justin Bieber

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-13 11:23 AM | Reply

I love Dylan, but this was a stupid choice. IMO.

#17 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-10-13 11:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Congratulations are in order here. Well done, Mr. Dylan.

Do you all recall Babbles called him a "one hit wonder" on these very boards?

History beech slaps the piano teacher again.

First a 'har', then a 'hardy-har-har'.

#18 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-10-13 11:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Dylan, like many of us, is getting old. I'm really glad that he gets this honor while he is still alive. His words have affected me strongly for most of my life.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-13 12:15 PM | Reply

Well worth a look and - via links - - listen: David Remnick's "LET'S CELEBRATE THE BOB DYLAN NOBEL WIN" at The Nee Yorker: www.newyorker.com

#20 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 01:02 PM | Reply

What a clown.

#21 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 01:03 PM | Reply

"What took them so long?

That's the only question for the Nobel committee that finally chose Bob Dylan to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature this year.

But there's no question that Mr. Dylan has created a great American songbook of his own: an e pluribus unum of high-flown and down-home, narrative and imagistic, erudite and earthy, romantic and cutting, devout and iconoclastic, finger-pointing and oracular, personal and universal, compassionate and pitiless. His example has taught writers of all sorts -- not merely poets and novelists -- about strategies of both pinpoint clarity and anyone's-guess free association, of telegraphic brevity and ambiguous, kaleidoscopic moods."

excerpts

www.nytimes.com

#22 | Posted by Corky at 2016-10-13 01:14 PM | Reply

"I can't help it if you might think I'm odd, if I say I'm not loving you for what you are but for what you're not. Everybody will help you discover what you set out to find, but if I can save you any time, come on, give it to me, I'll keep it with mine." - "I'll Keep It With Mine". ​

"Suicide remarks are torn from the fool's gold mouthpiece, the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." - "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"

best lyrics list

www.independent.co.uk

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2016-10-13 01:22 PM | Reply

Bob Dylan joins the ranks of great Nobel prize winners like Tolstoy, Joyce, and Nabokov. lol

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-13 01:25 PM | Reply

Robert Zimmerman, great song writer, and a human being with real faults and follies. He abandoned a wife and kid to go off to to the village to play his songs in coffee shops and beatnik hang outs. Did a massive amount of drugs, buy his own admission. Enjoyed groupies,and worse of all,at least to the left, he got "born again" in the late 70s. Listen to "Slow Train Coming" if you have a doubt. I imagine that Bob will not stir from his home in Woodstock NY to attend the ceremony. He has never been much for awards, especially ones he didn't earn. He just isn't much for the cult of celebrity, he values his privacy. I guess he has met most of the celebrated and found most of those are horrible human beings. It would not surprise me if he sent the metal back postage due. He would keep the money.

#26 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-13 01:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I could see Springsteen or even Public Enemy considered sometime down the road, but one of the characteristics of the last several *decades* of popular music is the lack of even good songwriting.

#27 | Posted by spurs1 at 2016-10-13 01:42 PM | Reply

"Can't teach an old bore new tricks."

I agree.
You're not trainable, chumpy.

#28 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-13 01:58 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by nullifidian

Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Too bad there isn't a prize for being the Grumpiest Old Man

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-10-13 03:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

If they were going to give it to talented little Jewish guys for their lyrics it should of been Steve Goodman

Well, it was all
That I could do to keep from crying'
Sometimes it seemed so useless to remain
But you don't have to call me darlin', darlin'
You never even call me by my name
You don't have to call me Waylon Jennings
And you don't have to call me Charlie pride
And you don't have to call me Merle Haggard anymore
Even though you're on my fighting' side
And I'll hang around as long as you will let me
And I never minded standing' in the rain
But you don't have to call me darlin', darlin'
You never even called me by my name
Well, I've heard my name
A few times in your phone book (hello, hello)
And I've seen it on signs where I've played
But the only time I know
I'll hear "David Allan Coe"
Is when Jesus has his final judgment day
Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was
Not the perfect country & western song because he hadn't said anything at all about mama,
Or trains,
Or trucks,
Or prison,
Or getting' drunk
Well he sat down and wrote another verse to the song
And he sent it to me,
And after reading it,
I realized that my friend had written the perfect
Country & western song
And I felt obliged to include it on this album
The last verse goes like this here:
Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run ned over by a damned old train
And I'll hang around as long as you will let me
And I never minded standing' in the rain
No, a' you don't have to call me darlin', darlin'
You never even call me
Well I wonder why you don't call me
Why don't you ever call me by my name
Songwriters: John Prine / Steve Goodman

#31 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2016-10-13 03:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

To all the people trashing Dylan's vocal talents:

Shag off.

Just because one does not sing like Michael Bolton or Debbie Boone doesn't mean they don't have a great voice. Dylan's was perfect for his material.

Nobel Prize, MFers.

#32 | Posted by Angrydad at 2016-10-13 07:48 PM | Reply

Y'all know who created the Nobel Prize? It was the guy who invented....wait for it....dynamite!

#33 | Posted by danni at 2016-10-13 08:09 PM | Reply

It does strike me as odd that they choose now to issue the award, but better late than never. The man still tours nonstop. He does value his privacy, but I'm quite positive he'll accept the award in person. He was game enough to go receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom; I see no reason he wouldn't travel to Stockholm.

I've had friends and former students sending me messages all day. It's been great!!

Nulli- you know who else "stole" other people's work? Friggin' Shakespeare. Shag off.

The man was a cultural force and icon not just in music but in the civil rights movement as well. An amazing and prolific writer and musician.

And for the record, I love his voice.

Usually. The Christmas album is pretty hard to listen to, TBH.

Anyway.... go Dylan!

#34 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-10-13 09:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Dylan should have been disqualified due to the nasal sound of his voice. Ditto for Tom Petty, if he's ever considered.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-13 09:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Dylan should have been disqualified due to the nasal sound of his voice.

Agreed, think that will work for Cankles?

#36 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2016-10-13 10:03 PM | Reply

President Obama told a great story about him performing at the White House.

"Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be… He came in and played ‘The Times They Are A-Changin'.' A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage -- I'm sitting right in the front row -- comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it -- then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat."

Coolest president ever?

#37 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-10-13 10:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yes, Tony.

We should implode Mt Rushmore and put a 10-times as large Obama statue in its place.

#38 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-13 10:05 PM | Reply

Don't criticize what you don't understand.

#39 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-10-13 10:05 PM | Reply

Who said that? He's a fine artist, but not in the same class as Tolstoy, Joyce, Nabokov, and others, who never received the prize. This was more about political correctness, like Obama's ludicrous award.

#40 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-13 10:07 PM | Reply

Don't forget Arafat, Nulli. Totally deserving. And Al Gore - the paragon of peace prize recipients.

#41 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-13 10:09 PM | Reply

I love Dylan's voice, Tom Petty and Neil Young too. They've given us a gift. If they can sing we all can sing. Frankie Valli well that's kinda tough on me.

#42 | Posted by bruceaz at 2016-10-13 10:10 PM | Reply

Frankie Valli?

Great voice. Iconic voice.

#43 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-13 10:15 PM | Reply

-Coolest president ever?

Cooler than our next president whoever it is.

#44 | Posted by eberly at 2016-10-13 10:50 PM | Reply

Coolest president ever? #37 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Possibly, he can seal the deal if he follows up his presidential act by opening a Brewpub/dispensary hybrid in Denver.
Call it "ChoomHouse."

#45 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-10-13 10:54 PM | Reply

#38 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Nope, he'll just get added to it in about 20 years or so when the children who grew up during his presidency realize - as adults - what he achieved and went through to help this nation climb out of the quagmires of W's terms as president. Particularly since Obama received little or no assistance from his political opponents yet still left the nation much better than he found it even if he didn't attain the lofty goals of his campaigns.

#46 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-10-13 11:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Two quick points:

1) You can't "implode" a mountain.
2) They couldn't afford to finish the first statue, not likely they can afford to change it now.

#47 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-14 01:53 AM | Reply

Cooler than our next president whoever it is.
I'm Sooooo Bored! Omigod

#44 | Posted by Sabreebely, the Teenage Witch

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-14 02:30 AM | Reply

I love Dillon and his work but I admit i never listened to him for his voice, I listened to his stories. It was folks like him, Simon, Garfunkel and Baez and Peter Paul & Mary, that seemed to cultivate the mind and the thought process.

Thanks for posting.

#49 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-10-14 02:50 AM | Reply

Nulli, I apologize. I can respect that opinion even if I disagree with it.

There's someone on the DR who always complains that Dylan is a plagiarist and hack. I thought you were alluding to that and I thought it was you. Obviously I was mistaken. Sorry!

#50 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-10-14 05:40 AM | Reply

Really, you can respect #16?

#51 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-14 05:44 AM | Reply

Well.....#16 if I took it literally, no. I think it was meant as satire to illustrate what he explained to me later. I think Dylan is a great choice, but I'm not going to be upset if people disagree.

#52 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-10-14 06:58 AM | Reply

I think he deserves it. I've always thought his songs were more poetry than songs.

I didn't start listening to Dylan until College in the mid 70's. If you listen to Dylan casually you won't pick up on him. His style is really an acquired taste. My roommate played his stuff all the time and after awhile I became a fan. A lot of his songs are enigmas. The most common complaint you'd hear is: Man!... whats he trying to say?!?

Well, like a lot of poetry, you can't interpret it literally with the intellect, you have to feel the spirit of the words. Take like the simple phrase "Mama & Daddy"; this will evoke a lot more warmer emotions than the more stoical "Mother and Father". I think Dylan understood this very naturally, and was a master at constructing songs using colorful words and folksy phraseology.

The song "All Along the Watchtower" to this day I have no idea what it means literally, but I find it oddly inspirational nonetheless.

Words are powerful. www.youtube.com

#53 | Posted by shane at 2016-10-14 08:54 AM | Reply

"whats he trying to say"?!?

"when black is a color and none is a number".

You tell me.

It's a hard rain

#54 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2016-10-14 09:47 AM | Reply

I love the segments in Dont Look Back that show him trolling the press in the 60s. Good stuff. I haven't watched that in forever...might have to pull it out this weekend.

#55 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-10-14 12:14 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by tontonmacoute Wasn't that one of the "Kinky and Texas Jewboys" standards? Kinkey did run for governor, had some interesting ideas. Very popular in Austin, you know the city who's motto is "Keep Austin Weird". It's better than Nashville if you are looking for original music.

#56 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-14 12:51 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by danni at 201

sorry to tell you and the rest this....but he's a thief....similar styles are one thing...stealing quite another...

dirty little secrets of this 60's icon-crook

ask.metafilter.com

#57 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:04 PM | Reply

and during regular discussions of him I haven't talked much about this common knowledge in the music world.....

woody Guthrie and others deserve this much more than Dylan......

#58 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:05 PM | Reply

AFLAK -

If they'd honored Guthrie you'd be whining because he was a Communist.

#59 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-10-14 02:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There's also The Girl from The North Country Fair, which contains clear parallels to the old tune Scarborough Fair.

The melody for "Times they are a changin" was ripped from a Hamish Henderson song called the Banks of Sicily. I'd recommend Henderson to anyone interested in folk music.

The traditional Scottish ballad Lord Randal

"O where ha you been, Lord Randal, my son?

And where ha you been, my handsome young man?"

A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall by Bob Dylan

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

and I understand proof like this doesn't matter to leftists these days...but these are just tips of the mountain of evidence..

#60 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:09 PM | Reply

AFLAK -

If they'd honored Guthrie you'd be whining because he was a Communist.

#59 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016

oh I"m sorry...I'm giving proof and not baloney.....that's what through you off

if you LIKE DYLAN...well laddie dah..>GOOD FOR YOU,seriously...THAT"S GREAT......but a genius....nobel winner ?

that's BS...

#61 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:11 PM | Reply

Why am I not surprised certain right-wingers but nobody else is upset by this?

Don't let the Nobel Committee melt you, precious snowflakes.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-14 02:11 PM | Reply

threw you off.

#63 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:12 PM | Reply

Why am I not surprised certain right-wingers but nobody else is upset by this?

Don't let the Nobel Committee melt you, precious snowflakes.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2

stop making up things you're ignorant of....I was democrat voting grad student when we covered this in 'History of American folk music...

try your little 'stuff' somewhere else...

#64 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:13 PM | Reply

Dylan holds the copyright to the song, and by law at least... is the man who wrote it.

Oxman and Erdman claim the real credit belongs to a former classmate of theirs, Lorre Wyatt.

Now at the University of Akron majoring in music, Wyatt headed the Millburnaires, the octet of Millburn (N.J.) High School, and wrote many of its numbers himself.

According to fellow members Oxman and Erdman, Wyatt wrote "Blowing in the Wind" early in September a year ago, and had it performed by the octet as early as Oct. 6.

Dylan did not secure his copyright until later in the fall, and his recording did not come out until winter.

Wyatt traveled to New York that November and sold the song outright to Dylan.

#65 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:21 PM | Reply

once more as the EVIDENCE POURS IN....I am THRILLED that so many love his music, but I have a serious

problem applying the word genius and Nobel prize worthy of pop music.

The Beatles changed EVERYTHING about pop music, but neither Lennon or McCarthy are or were a musical genius....and I LOVE THE Beatles....

but I"M sure many of you know more about it....seeing as how you listen to him and all....

carpe deim

Amerika Prvi

#66 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:26 PM | Reply

AND not that it matters in the slightest....but the class and the week long discussion with tapes and lyrics from MANY

varied sources was taught by a "hippy dippy weatherguy" look-a-like who even drove a VW bus.....

#67 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-10-14 02:30 PM | Reply

"Good artists copy, great artists steal."

#68 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-14 03:33 PM | Reply

AFKA-

I won't disparage your point of view on this, and I'm quite certain as much as I love Dylan, if you took an entire course on the authorship of his material, you're probably more well-prepared for this coming in than I would be, but my two cents on some of what you're saying:

Woody Guthrie also paved the way for a lot of what Dylan did and was also certainly a prolific songwriter, but I don't picture Guthrie as being the literary or cultural force Dylan was (assuming Dylan is indeed the author, which I know for you is a stretch - more on that in a second). The way I see the big picture of modern music is that Guthrie (and folk music in general, but Guthrie in particular) paved the way for Dylan, and Dylan paved the way for the Beatles. I think the reason Dylan gets more credit is because, as much as Guthrie was important, he didn't capture the American imagination or drive the cultural scene the same way Dylan did in the 60s and 70s. And the reason I think Dylan was more important than the Beatles was because he paved the way for them AND made an impact himself on the music and cultural scene. In a nutshell, my feeling is no Dylan, no Beatles. Or at least that the Beatles would've been limited to being an above average pop rock group and not the cultural force they were.

As for the authorship, I know that questions of what he wrote and what he didn't write have followed him for years, even to one of his more current albums, Modern Times. I think in all the cases there's a fine line between borrowing/adapting and stealing. I think he recognizes the folk tradition of taking something from the past, adapting it, and making it something new. I don't think he ever tried to hide the fact, for example, that "Girl from the North Country" is a riff on "Scarborough Fair." He uses the same melody in another song ("Boots of Spanish Leather," maybe? I can't remember). But even if you write off some of the more questionable songs, I think you still have songs like Desolation Row, Gotta Serve Somebody, When the Ship Comes in, Masters of War, Not Dark Yet, Cold Irons Bound, Make You Feel My Love, Lay Lady Lay, With God on Our Side, Only a Pawn in Their Game, Like a Rolling Stone, Ballad of a Thin Man, Tombstone Blues, etc. etc. etc., that still I think attest to his literary, artistic, and (dare I say it) musical genius.

To be honest, I don't know enough about the Nobel Prize for Literature to say authoritatively if he deserves one. If other poets have received them, I think it's a fitting selection. If not only songwriters but also poets have been excluded in the past, then yeah - I could grudgingly admit that it's a stretch.

BTW, let me know if I'm reading too much into this, but is your point more or less that a musical genius can't come from the ranks of pop, rock, folk? Because if that's what you're saying - well, I'd disagree, but I'd totally get where you're coming from. Hendrix was amazing, for example, but was he Mozart? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems like that's the type of thing you're going for.

#69 | Posted by dylanfan at 2016-10-14 04:40 PM | Reply

My only surprise is that it took many decades for the Committee to recognize Dylan for this while it only took a couple of months to recognize that obama 'earned' the Nobel Peace Prize!

#70 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-10-15 01:18 AM | Reply

Yeah the hell with all of you. It's a private trust fund that has members that can vote. They awarded him, Obama too. Appreciate your comments but it really ain't none of your business

#71 | Posted by bruceaz at 2016-10-15 01:31 AM | Reply

I think Tony has a blow-up Obama doll in his bedroom.

#72 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-10-15 09:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I think Tony has a blow-up Obama doll in his bedroom."

I think you're just jealous because your blow-up Bush doll is worn out and none of the GOP candidates this year struck your fancy enough to justify a new investment. :)

#73 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-10-15 02:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Some folks are upset at this honor being bestowed on Bob Dylan? Don't think twice, it's all right.

#74 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-10-15 02:17 PM | Reply

#70 they only give Nobel prizes to living recipients.
I guess they figured Obama had a pretty good chance of getting assassinated just for being black, so they wanted to, ahem, jump the gun.

#75 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-15 02:19 PM | Reply

Gal you're right.

It ain't no use to sit and wonder why

Lol

#76 | Posted by bruceaz at 2016-10-15 02:27 PM | Reply

I think Tony has a blow-up Obama doll in his bedroom.

#72 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2016-10-15 09:07 AM | FLAG: | FUNNY: 1

"I think Tony has a blow-up Obama doll in his bedroom."

#73 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY A

Jeff actually has a blow up Chris Christie doll. He just can't get it, (or anything else actually), pressured up. And that's because of the ------ in the White House.

#77 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-15 08:52 PM | Reply