Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Deadspin: It is news to me that Jerry Howarth, the radio play-by-play voice of the Blue Jays since 1981, does not use the name "Indians" when calling baseball games out of respect to Native people. But it's not new news -- Howarth has observed this practice for more than 20 years. It'll complicate things for Howarth once Toronto and Cleveland kick off the ALCS on Friday, but he'll manage. As he told the Jeff Blair Show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan (as reported by the Toronto Star), he's been managing ever since receiving a letter from a fan following the 1992 World Series. "For the rest of my career I will not say 'Indian' or 'Brave' and if I was in the NFL I would not say 'Redskins,'" Howarth said.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Not surprising. "Indian" has not been a term used in Canada for a long time.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-11 09:49 PM | Reply

Not so true Redial...living in a community surrounded by reserves on all sides I hear it all the time...from they themselves and others...it is not taken as an insult of any sort really...unless you add F*#)($%g in front of it...The Pas Mb. even has a festival still called the Pasquia Indian Days.

#2 | Posted by ghoti at 2016-10-11 10:32 PM | Reply

Not so true Redial...living in a community surrounded by reserves on all side I hear it all the time...form they themselves and others...it is not taken as an insult of any sort really...unless you add F*#)($%g in front of it...The Pas Mb. even has a festival still called the Pasquia Indian Days.

#3 | Posted by ghoti at 2016-10-11 10:36 PM | Reply

I guess The Pas is different. I grew up in NW Ontario and the term "Indian" gave way to either "Natives", which us white folk would use, or "First Nation", which I suppose was the "PC" government version, back in the '70s.

I certainly wouldn't use the term to refer to any indigenous Canadians today.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-11 11:08 PM | Reply

Non starter among the majority of Native Americans.

www.washingtonpost.com

#5 | Posted by willowby at 2016-10-11 11:44 PM | Reply

Don't really care but does he call them"The Tribe"?

#6 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-12 11:06 AM | Reply

I've only hung out with one person who has lived on a reservation (in Canada) and he referred to himself and his tribe as a "Native North Americans". I never asked him about other terms because he was very clear on what he liked to be called. He was a cool guy and not overly sensitive at all but I would have expected to be popped in the face if I tried calling him a "redskin".

#7 | Posted by Sully at 2016-10-12 11:22 AM | Reply

What a bunch of super sensitive cry babies.

#8 | Posted by Sniper at 2016-10-12 01:50 PM | Reply

Oh gee, I guess he could just say Cleveland. Or Washington if he call the games. Actually the reason Cleveland called their team the Indians because some of the original members were "Indians". Which was the term used for the American Aborigines in the 1920s. That name was not considered an incorrect until the 80s or later. With all the problems native peoples have, I doubt their nomenclature is that high on the agenda.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-12 04:44 PM | Reply

I doubt their nomenclature is that high on the agenda.
#9 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

If it's on their agenda at all, it's obviously significant to them, now isn't it?

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-12 05:04 PM | Reply

Indian is not an offensive term unless you want to be offend.

That being said, I didn't know American political correctness had invaded Canada to this degree. I didn't know there was a bunch of Canadian progressives trying to find reasons to be "offended"

It's kinda funny that Canadians are turning into snowflakes as fast as American ones.

#11 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2016-10-12 05:52 PM | Reply

Look at it from a different angle. Maybe it's not that the PC movement has invaded Canada, maybe it's that the PC movement is only a movement in the U.S. and is status quo elsewhere.

Not that I subscribe to such a notion, but something for you to consider.

Devil's Advocate says "You're welcome!"

#12 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-10-12 05:56 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

That is incorrect. The name was selected in 1915 after the team owner brought together 4 sports writers to come up with a new name. "Indians" was a nickname that had been given to the Cleveland Spiders team of the old American Association when they had one native American, Louis Sockalexis, playing for them for a couple years just before the team went bankrupt. When the Cleveland Plains Dealer first started calling them the Indians there was no mention of Sockalexis. What they did say at that time was that the name was meant to be a placeholder until a more appropriate name was chosen. Along with that announcement, the Plains Dealer raun this cartoon which lampooned Native Americans.

cdn.theatlantic.com

#13 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2016-10-12 06:54 PM | Reply

When the indigenous folk said they would prefer to be called "First Nations" rather than "Indians" it was a simple thing to accommodate them, and oddly enough did not result in the collapse of civilization.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-12 07:05 PM | Reply

"Indian" is a stupid name given to them by a stupid --- who thought he had found India. "Americans" was more accurate.

The name sticks even after Columbus discovers he's on an island, that there are other islands in the sea he's in, and that they are all off of a whole continent he hadn't known about. He briefly thinks that Cuba is Japan, but through it all, including his return to Spain, his further voyages, and those of the others that follow, "Indians" as the term for the native peoples of the Americas persists. Even as "the Americas" get their name, and even as those Europeans almost forget India itself in their fascination with this new world they had stumbled on. "American" *was* used during the 16th century after the continents were named, but still, "Indian" won out among the colonizing powers, probably as a function of the increase in European settlement in the New World -- "American" began to be used for those settlers instead of the natives.

www.quora.com

#15 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-12 09:06 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY JAMESGELLIOTT

The things you don't know could fill the interwebs, but think on this, even the Conservative Leader in Canada would be a left of Bernie here. The US is actually lagging behind the rest of the developed world in growing up. Everywhere else "PC" is simply the way they live.

#16 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-12 09:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

OK, so what about those folks who live in cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta? What non-racist term would the PC Police like us to call them?

#17 | Posted by babyhuey at 2016-10-13 09:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11, actually around here where we deal with real tribal people every day, we use the term "tribal". Native doesn't cut it, hell my family came over in the 16th century. The term First Americans is sort of silly to most, sort of a captain obvious statement. Otherwise we use the terms of tribal ID, Choctaw being the most prevalent here. Go east it's Crow around Idabell. Go west you will run into the Comanche, or "damn wagon burners" if you are on good terms with them. Look closer and you will find Wichita, Kickapoo. Osage, Kiowa and a multitude of mixes. They are not a cause, they are real flesh and blood people. Most didn't hunt buffalo, most were farmers. Most never saw a teepee, they lived in large lodges. The ignorance displayed in some statements are so silly they merit a laugh.

#18 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-13 11:24 AM | Reply

#14 | Posted by REDIAL

And I would like to be called 'your highness'. Where does it end?

#19 | Posted by Sniper at 2016-10-13 04:41 PM | Reply

They call themselves a little bit of everything on the reservations around here. I've never heard them or anyone else object to "Indian". Many of the businesses on and off the Rez use "Indian" in their name.
Sometimes you hear "native".

I don't use either of those names.

#20 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2016-10-13 04:53 PM | Reply

Where does it end?

The "First Nations" thing happened a long time ago and nothing "slippery sloped" on us.

#21 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-13 05:59 PM | Reply