Tuesday, October 11, 2016

David Brooks, New York Times: The point of town hall debates is that regular voters get to ask questions. In every town hall I've seen, the candidate turns to the voter, listens attentively and directs the answer at least partially back to that person. The candidates do that because it's polite, because it looks good to be seen taking others seriously and because most of us instinctively want to make some connection with the people we are talking to. Hillary Clinton, not exactly a paragon of intimacy, behaved in the normal manner on Sunday night. But Donald Trump did not.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Politics is an effort to make human connection, but Trump seems incapable of that. He is essentially adviser-less, friendless. His campaign team is made up of cold mercenaries at best and Roger Ailes at worst. His party treats him as a stench it can't yet remove.

He was a germophobe through most of his life and cut off contact with others, and now I just picture him alone in the middle of the night, tweeting out hatred. ...

Donald Trump's life ... looks superficially successful and profoundly miserable. None of us would want to live in the howling wilderness of his own solitude, no matter how thick the gilding.

On Nov. 9, the day after Trump loses, there won't be solidarity and howls of outrage. Everyone will just walk away.

Comments

I like the soft-spoken David Brooks, but he is fading into irrelevance faster than his drinking buddy on the DC power circuit, Georgetown Will.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-11 04:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Your only rest comes when you are insulting somebody, when you are threatening to throw your opponent in jail, when you are looming over her menacingly like a mafioso thug on the precipice of a hit, when you are bellowing that she has "tremendous hate in her heart" when it is clear to everyone you are only projecting what is in your own.

Thoughtful essay by Brooks.

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-10-11 05:09 PM | Reply

What a bunch of nonsense. He doesn't use any specific examples from Trump's life other than he is a germophobe, which means what? He washes his hands and keeps his living spaces spick and span? This is a perfect example of how hypocritical writers and editors of our written media are. They bash bash bash and when someone bashes back they call them a bully. Look back at all the nasty things they said about Bush, then Romney, and now Trump. In three months, when Hillary steals the election through lies, deception, and our "let anyone in who votes democrat" immigration policy, Trump will go back to being a celebrity and object of study for Liberals. They'll go back to making their crass TV show's and movies, back to ignoring the Murder rates in Chicago and poverty in the African American community. They will have succeeded in their divide and conquer strategy, and we will all move ever further down the same old tired socialist rabbit hole. Dragged down by our oh so fit and moral leaders who live comfortable lives in the house, while the rest of the animals must spend their lives out in the barn. Congratulations America, we sold our freedom to "vote ourselves money from the public treasury." Now we can "strive together" as good little American comrades, creating wealth for the wealthy and laboring for lazy. It's just so sad to watch it go, I almost can't watch.

#3 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 05:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I for one consider myself very empathetic and forgiving. I don't believe in the death penalty even for the worst of offenders, I believe everyone can be salvaged in one way or another.

But I find it impossible to find any sympathy for Trump. I guess I can feel pity for such a deranged and sick individual. I will try I guess.

#4 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-10-11 05:19 PM | Reply

but he is fading into irrelevance

Ascare all those who refuse to kiss the trumprump, right Nulli?

#5 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-10-11 05:20 PM | Reply

Lol! Was that as fun to write as it was to read? What a load.

#6 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2016-10-11 05:20 PM | Reply

(That was directed to Laptophead.

#7 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2016-10-11 05:21 PM | Reply

Laptophero
Party: Independent
Ideology: Conservative
Private E-mail
No Home Page
Joined 2016/10/11
Visited 2016/10/11

looks, mind you LOOKS, like a trumpeter who is no longer willing to publicly defend their champion

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-10-11 05:24 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by Laptophero

Donald Trump is scum. It sort of compromises any arguments you want to make.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2016-10-11 06:01 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by truthhurts

What's to pity? He is a billionaire. Allegedly.

I am certain I have more empathy and pity for him than he does for me or people like me.

But, he did make his choices and now he has to live with them. Like we all do. Except we don't get to start out at home plate with a $200 million dollar inheritance from dad.

So come to think of it.

Frack him and the horse he rode in on.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-10-11 06:13 PM | Reply

He's always got his good pal Billy Bush.

#11 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2016-10-11 06:38 PM | Reply

Trump has toyed with the idea of running for years, but early on he knew he would have a "women" problem:

In 1999, Trump Said He Couldn't Be President Because of the Women He'd Sleep With

www.mediaite.com

Trump told CNBC that he doesn't like the idea of running for the White House – but boasts that voters might like his women better than President Clinton's.

"People want me to [run for president] all the time … I don't like it," Trump said on CNBC's "Hardball."

"Can you imagine how controversial I'd be? You think about him [Clinton] and the women. How about me with the women? Can you imagine?"

CNBC's Chris Matthews then quipped, with a nod at Clinton's games with Monica Lewinsky: "You might be close, but there's no cigar."

That prompted Trump to shoot back: "Yeah. They might like my women better, too."

nypost.com

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-10-11 08:08 PM | Reply

I'm not abandoning Trump, I just think the media has probably made such a big deal about some stupid audio that (that I didn't listen to, although I read some experts) that it'll trick people into not voting for him. I mean, this is so planned, clearly they brought this out at the last minute. Seriously, compare the actions of who would be the first man with the man Trump. Actions vs. words, didn't sway my vote one bit. Once again it's a distraction from the issues, like our 20,000,000,000 dollar debt, our lack of manufacturing jobs, ISIS, violence in the cities, I could go on and on. I live near Chicago, I knew someone who was murdered, and for Obama to come out and say that Trump's "vision of violence and chaos doesn't jibe with the experience of most Americans" shows his total lack of empathy. What about the people who are effected by violence? The left's media powerhouse move is to completely deny it's happening and to write of anyone who tries to bring attention to issues that are long past needing to be dealt with. They can't admit that crime and violence are a problem in our major cities because then people would ask who's been running them, they can't admit that our economic situation is perpetually dire because they've been running the FED, they can't admit that ISIS is a problem (In fact, Obama said ISIS is no longer a threat on the day of the Paris attacks) because they're the reason they've been allowed to grow and spread and fund their movement. So with all that, your gonna say, "oh his tape was so wrong, I just can't vote for him." Think about that the next time you go to a rated R movie or watch a primetime TV show. Is it really that much of an egregious statement compared to our entertainment culture and the actions of former politicians? It's just sad to think that people like me can't actually discuss these things anymore, we're told to sit and shut up. So again I say, Congratulations, but the next 4 to 8 years are all your doing.

#13 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:30 PM | Reply

Posted by Laptophero

Consider changing your user ID to Lapdoghero

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 09:34 PM | Reply

I'll consider it comrade

#15 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:36 PM | Reply

LAPDOG

Friday's video is only the last of a long string of vulgar, misogynist statements and actions by Trump.

Unless you've been living with your eyes and ears closed you've heard many of them during this campaign.

#16 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 09:37 PM | Reply

I'll consider it comrade

#15 | Posted by Laptophero

Cold winter predicted in Russia this year?

#17 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 09:40 PM | Reply

Americanunity, what about Bill Clinton?

BTW if you read Unlikable by Edward Klein, Hillary has quite the mouth herself? And that's not the only source that quotes her as being vulgar, of course, no one reports that.

#18 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:40 PM | Reply

You could. Trump could too. But he doesn't. He's too busy telling us how crooked Hillary is to tell us anything else.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 09:41 PM | Reply

Snoofy, he brought up way more issues like that including the national debt in the debate. But he had to do it, despite the questions asked

#20 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:43 PM | Reply

Ah, the old 'what about Bill Clinton' ...

You're sticking to the Trump/Putin playbook very well!

Pozdravleniya!! (поздравления)

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 09:47 PM | Reply

Lol you can't defend him either so let's just discuss the issues, like the freaking national debt!!!!

#22 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:49 PM | Reply

"... like our 20,000,000,000 dollar debt..." - #13 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:30 PM

Only a 20 billion dollar debt?

That President Obama has really performed miracles!

#23 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 09:49 PM | Reply

BTW, comrade

Bill Clinton left office with a 66% approval rating

Please be sure Pravda and Sputnik Propaganda TV report that. Thanks!!

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 09:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh you right it's 20,000,000,000,000! Ok so if getting a BJ from an intern and all sorts of other sexual riff raff is OK, then why is Trump getting thrown under the bus for a few comments?

BTW any debate with liberals always devolves into nothing comments. There's never any learning or understanding, it's always, yell and scream and make frivolous statements to distract, DISTRACT!!

#25 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:53 PM | Reply

"Oh you right..."

Of course I am.

Welcome to reality.

#26 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 09:54 PM | Reply

Lol do any of you have any real opinions on issues like the national debt?

#27 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:55 PM | Reply

Not really.
Saying "Debt!" isn't a discussion of fiscal matters.
Saying "Benghazi!" isn't a discussion about diplomatic security.
He raises issues, but never, ever, ever addresses them, in any sort of substantial depth.
We're lucky to get one sentence.
Surely you can see that.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 09:55 PM | Reply

Lol do any of you have any real opinions on issues like the national debt?

American government bonds remain the most secure financial instrument on planet Earth.
My opinion of the debt is instructed by the fact that it's still considered to be worth something.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 09:57 PM | Reply

That's not true, we need to re-negotiate our trade deals, not ad any social programs, like free college education (sheesh), slowly start to increase the FED interest rate so that inflation is kept under control in the long term, cut government programs. And these are just the things Trump himself has brought up!

#30 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 09:59 PM | Reply

Well the debt is worth something to other countries, although most of the debt we owe to ourselves.

#31 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:00 PM | Reply

slowly start to increase the FED interest rate

Everybody says that, numbskull.
You'd give Trump credit for correctly calling the sky blue.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:01 PM | Reply

www.donaldjtrump.com

depth

#33 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:01 PM | Reply

we need to re-negotiate our trade deals

What does this even mean?

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:02 PM | Reply

Here you go Snoofy - Trade

www.donaldjtrump.com

#35 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How would #33 affect the debt that you, moments ago, pretended was too big?

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:04 PM | Reply

BTW they should have raised the interest rate last year, but their too afraid to do it in an election year. If Trump does get elected (however unlikely) they'll probably let the lid blow off and the economy will be in shambles and they'll blame it on Trump. If Hillary get's elected they might start doing what their supposed to do, but we should have started doing it years ago!

#37 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:05 PM | Reply

"...issues like the national debt..."

Yeah!

Like Ronald Reagan, who had a 186% increase in the $998 billion debt level at the end of Carter's last budget, FY 1981.

Whereas President Obama had only a 56% increase in the $11.657 trillion debt level attributable to President Bush by the end of his last budget, FY 2009.

You mean issues like that?

#38 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 10:05 PM | Reply

"Finally, a Trump Administration will support continued research into advanced energy technologies, but we will not be in the business of government picking winners and losers." www.donaldjtrump.com

Really.

They're just going to hand out cash to anyone who says they're researching energy? There will be no selection process to see who is most deserving of taxpayer dollars?

Even in his own actual platform he clearly has no clue.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:06 PM | Reply

Consider changing your user ID to Lapdoghero

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

Consider changing your ID to ConversionVan.

#40 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-10-11 10:07 PM | Reply

BTW they should have raised the interest rate last year...

Ummm... they did.

#41 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-10-11 10:09 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by Laptophero

Knowing all this... you'll still vote for Trump and guaranteed financial ruin.
Are you so fabulously wealthy that you are just "slumming" this election?

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:10 PM | Reply

Uh yea Hans but 186% of 998 billion is a significant difference from 56% of 11 trillion, obviously. Obama has raised the debt almost 9 or 10 trillion. And btw, I don't agree with how Bush increased the debt either.

Snoofy: Oh yes Obama must have a wonderful selection process

www.washingtontimes.com

#43 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:11 PM | Reply

"Uh yea Hans but 186% of 998 billion is a significant difference from 56% of 11 trillion..."

Yep: 186% is greater than 56%.

Facts.

#44 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 10:13 PM | Reply

Yea han's but it's a difference of Trillions of dollars

#45 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:14 PM | Reply

Snoofy: Oh yes Obama must have a wonderful selection process

Yeah. Under Trump's plan, everybody gets to be a Solyndra. Somehow you think that's better.
Sorry, I should have said, somehow you believe that's better. Because I can't imagine how you arrived at that belief via thinking about things.

Which currently banned DR poster are you? The Moonie Times link used to be a "tell" but eight years of hating Obama has weakened your immune system and now it's metastasized into the mainstream right-wing echo chamber.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:14 PM | Reply

"but it's a difference of Trillions of dollars"

Doesn't change the fact that 186% is greater than 56%.

Facts.

#47 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 10:16 PM | Reply

I don't really post that much Snoofy lol I just got this laptop for cheap and I'm having fun with it. But I do read the drudge report, and I typed drudge and found this!

I voted for Obama, I went to the inauguration, I went to his rally's and he said over and over that he would decrease the influence of lobbyists in washington. That was my big "issue", and he hired a former lobbyist within the first few months, if not days if I remember correctly. Then I actually started reading and trying to understand issues.

I mean, if you think the last eight years have been so wonderful, then I'd ask who is the one plugging their ears and shutting their eyes. I just want the economy to get strong again so that people can get back to work an have the dignity of earning a living wage, instead of artificial manipulations like raising the minimum wage.

#48 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:22 PM | Reply

Well I want more than that, but I think that's the biggest issue of the election, not the climate change hoax.

#49 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:23 PM | Reply

"I just got this laptop for cheap ..."

International trade deals writ large.

#50 | Posted by Hans at 2016-10-11 10:26 PM | Reply

Ha! True nough'

#51 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 10:26 PM | Reply

I guess what we have now is a choice between the politically incorrect and the politically, financial, morally, and personally corrupt. Admit it, If Hillery Rodham Clinton was not so well connected she would have been in prison decades ago.

#52 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-10-11 10:33 PM | Reply

Then I actually started reading and trying to understand issues.

And you picked the Moonie Times?
Was LaRouche's newspaper not available?

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-11 10:47 PM | Reply

No, I read Drudge lol I just linked to that story cause it was about Solyndra

#54 | Posted by Laptophero at 2016-10-11 11:40 PM | Reply

why is Trump getting thrown under the bus for a few comments?

He isn't.

He's a dirtbag who's insulted nearly every segment of American and disparaged countless women, many of them during this election.

#55 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-11 11:43 PM | Reply

I wish someone would frack your stupidity for parroting the MEDIA which is OH SO EASY TO DO!!!!!!! My god ARE YOU NOT CAPABLE of thinking for yourself - you let others do that for you????? That's exactly what I'm taking away from your comment. LIKE YOU KNOW TRUMP PERSONNALY????? WHAT THE -- CK?????

#56 | Posted by robadude32 at 2016-10-12 12:20 AM | Reply

I don't need to know somebody personally to make the quantum leap that a 3AM tweetstorm suggest you might be disaffected.

I mean, have you see my post history?

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-10-12 12:25 AM | Reply

Lol do any of you have any real opinions on issues like the national debt?

#27 | Posted by Laptophero

Sure, I'll bite ...

It was $5 trillion and going down when Bill Clinton left office.

In the 2000 election the GOP took total control of government for 6 years.

In those six years they:

- Doubled the budget (doubled spending)
- Slashed taxes (cut revenue)
- Started a multi trillion dollar war they borrowed the money to fight
- Enacted Medicare Part D without a thought of how to pay for it
- Created a house of cards built on personal debt (the 'ownership society')
- Left the economy in the ditch
- Left us with a $1.4 trillion a year debt instead of paying it down like Clinton did his last two years
- Left America with systemic deficits for years to come

As soon as they were out of power it was someone else's fault we are deep in debt

Those are the facts

#58 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-12 01:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#56 | Posted by robadude32

All you're managing to do is prove beyond a doubt Trump supporters are mentally unhinged and live in an alternate reality.

#59 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-12 01:55 AM | Reply

#48 | Posted by Laptophero

When Obama took office, Republican's #1 priority was first 'ensuring Barack Obama is a one term president' (in the middle of the deepest recession since the Great Depression), which consisted of obstruct obstruct obstruct. In the 2nd term it was obstruct obstruct obstruct.

For example, Obama had a jobs bill to rebuild our infrastructure and put millions of people to work who needed work badly when we were deep in the recession. Republicans wouldn't even take up the legislation.

They haven't done anything. Nothing. Nada. Nothing but schedule the fewest number of days in session in modern times.

Don't blame Obama. We could have gotten some good things done, but the crazies have taken over the Republican Party to the point nothing can get done. No compromise, no legislating anything that would make a difference in people's lives.

And you support a guy who wants to burn it all down, right? What then? Kick old ladies out on the street?

#60 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-10-12 02:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yeah, sure. Donald Trump is sad. And lonely.

Whatever you say.

#61 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2016-10-12 02:49 PM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2016-10-11 10:33 PM | FLAG: STUPID BEYOND REASON

There you go blathering from the alternate reality as if what you said was fact.

#48 | POSTED BY LAPDOGPRO AT 2016-10-11 10:22 PM | REPLY |FLAG: STUPIDER THAN DOCNJOKE

Wow LAPDOGPRO after reading the assorted diatribes leaking from your head... I'm gonna guess that your meds ran out Raising minimum wage is not artificial manipulation... oh the other hand, increasing credit is. Ya see paying people more for the work they do puts more money in their pocket and that means more purchasing power. Historically speaking raising minimum wage has always been a good thing for the economy... feel free to research the matter.

#62 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2016-10-12 09:19 PM | Reply