Thursday, September 22, 2016

Despite claims by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg (N.C.) Police Department that Keith Lamont Scott, 43, was armed with a gun when black Police Officer Brentley Vinson shot him to death, eyewitness Taheshia Williams maintains that Scott was armed with nothing but a book and that a white police officer is responsible for killing Scott. "He got out the car with his hands up because the police told him to get out the car. He got out the car. The book fell off his lap, the book he was reading. He got out the car and then he walked around his car to the back of his car. When he walked back there, when his wife was running down saying, ‘No, stop, don't do that,' by the time she got right here to where his car was, they had shot that man four times. It was not a black officer that killed him; it was a white officer that killed him. He was bald-headed. "I'm telling you what I believe, that it's a cover-up," Williams said. "They made a mistake and they're doing their best to cover up that mistake."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I actually saw the shooting," Williams continued. "I saw that man die. I saw him take his last breath. I saw him move and then there was nothing; he didn't move no more after that." When reporters asked Williams again did Scott have a gun, she insisted that he did not.

Comments

I tend to believe that this lady's account will probably been rendered false by the police video from the other officers at the scene, but in no way does she seem to have an agenda beyond trying to articulate what she believes she saw happen. Her story does dovetail with the wife's story and gives me pause.

If the police really have lied about this shooting and tried to frame an innocent man, maybe the skeptics might adjust their thinking about all these police action shootings of blacks in America. One can only hope.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 12:47 PM | Reply

Well that explains this:

Charlotte police chief: Shooting video won't be made public - www.cnn.com

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-22 12:56 PM | Reply

They can't be crazy enough to try and pull this with the whole nation watching, or can they? It was pointed out that the police can release the videos if they want to. After October 1st a new law takes effect where none of the police videos will be made public in NC.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 01:05 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 01:05 PM
---

Pathetic.

#4 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-22 01:15 PM | Reply

There's no plausible reason NOT to release it.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-22 01:22 PM | Reply

Police say Scott disregarded repeated demands to drop his gun, while neighborhood residents say he was holding a book, not a weapon, as he waited for his son to get off the school bus.

Police Chief Kerr Putney said he has reviewed video of the shooting and what he saw does not give absolute definitive proof that Scott was pointing a gun, but Putney said it does support what has been reported that Scott was armed and did not follow repeated commands to put it down. abc11.com

We'll have to take his word for it at least in the short term, but if the gun wasn't pointed at the officers, it appears that at minimum that being black and having a gun in an open carry state sanctions LEO to terminate your life if you refuse to surrender your weapon at their immediate request.

Why don't we just say the truth? If an unknown black male is seen with a weapon on his person, LEO deems that a "threatening situation" regardless of where that gun may be or if it's legal for him to have it on his person. It's the very fact that the suspect "can brandish it at any time" that gives LEO a near universal pass for escalating non-confrontations into police action shootings.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 01:33 PM | Reply

Since the on scene policeman who shot was a black I guess there is no reason for a race riot.

#7 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-09-22 01:37 PM | Reply

Presuming the video shows the cops executing an unarmed man, I think not having their city burn to the ground is a decent reason not to release it.

It should come out eventually. But give this a few months to cool off.

I'm not sure I agree with what I'm saying here, but I can certainly understand if that's what's happening.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 01:38 PM | Reply

That's right. And since it was blacks who sold other blacks into slavery, there's no reason for blacks to think race has anything to do with it.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 01:39 PM | Reply

It doesn't seem to be in dispute that Scott was known to wait for his son while reading in his truck on a daily basis.

Neighbors told the Charlotte Observer he walked with a cane and often had a book in his hand. "He did the same things every day," one neighbor told the newspaper. "I would see him with his cane. Either he sat in his truck there, or he sat up when it was time to get the kids off the bus. But he walked with a book, he sat in his car, quiet man."

Her husband said Scott was a familiar site in the parking lot, walking laps and waiting in his truck near the entrance when school let out to wait on his children. "That man didn't bother nobody." www.charlotteobserver.com

It doesn't make sense that the man described by his neighbors would be one to threaten police. It just doesn't add up at all.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 01:54 PM | Reply

Let's say a black man appears out of nowhere and pulls a gun on you.
He is not wearing a police uniform but he tells you he is a cop, and he starts ordering you around.

I can just feel the public safety happening already!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 02:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Presuming the video shows the cops executing an unarmed man ~ Snoofy
Why they have said the video shows Scott approaching the officers with the weapon.

I would imagine, if the video doesn't show what they says it shows then someone will have hell to pay.

I think not having their city burn to the ground is a decent reason not to release it. ~ Snoofy
There's no plausible reason NOT to release it. - SHEEPLESCHISM

NC passed a law that it requires a court order to release Police cam video.
www.cnn.com

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:02 PM | Reply

It appears the dash cam law doesn't go into affect until October, but need to verify.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:06 PM | Reply

NC passed a law that it requires a court order to release Police cam video.

Mmm, that's good transparency in government!

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 02:08 PM | Reply

See post #3. That law doesn't take effect until next week.

Question Andrea: Based on Scott's routine and what his neighbors described, do you think he was threatening the police before he was shot?

#15 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 02:08 PM | Reply

FWIW, I've seen at least two different bald white officers in various crime scene video's or Twitter photographs.

#16 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 02:10 PM | Reply

From another thread:

Years ago I served in a Reserve unit with a bunch of cops. They all bragged about having throwdown weapons ready and how they sent people to prison by sprinkling drugs in their car. They were good shots though.

#40 | POSTED BY SOMEBODYELSE AT 2016-09-22 10:54 AM

When I first saw the photo of the gun my mind said 'drop piece.' www.wcnc.com The photo appears to show his body lying in front of a pickup and MS. Williams said he was shot in the rear. But the two officers right at the body are white, and one is obviously bald which fits her description.

But again, are Charlotte cops brazen enough to spin a false story and plant evidence in broad daylight after a citizen was killed? We really need to see the videos.

#17 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 02:25 PM | Reply

So there are two stories that are in complete contradiction. The video will prove this out one way or the other, and if the cops don't release the video, I'm forced to believe they are at fault.

In the meantime, mobs are burning Charlotte down.

#18 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-09-22 02:33 PM | Reply

Charlotte police to show shooting video to Keith Lamont Scott's family
www.washingtontimes.com

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:38 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

No, there are multiple descriptions. I have yet to comprehend one which he gets out of the car and approaches the police while armed in a threatening manner.

I can't think of a scenario where it makes sense, with the given the information.

#20 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:40 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

As I posted they are going to show them to the family......

#21 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:41 PM | Reply

In the Tulsa case there was lots of preliminary confusion which wasn't captured, hence the reserve of judgement.

But in this one, it is extremely odd behavior for a suspect.

I tend to not listen to families portrait of the subject because typically its tainted, or hidden. I have had best friends do the craziest criminal things, things that were so out of my understanding of them, that I have come to the unfortunate conclusion you never really know someone.

#22 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:46 PM | Reply

So reading more....

Perhaps Scoot was reading a book, suppose MrScott saw the the plainclothes officer with a weapon drawn looking for the person to server the warrant?

But Scott thought it was some rival out to get him? (was the officer wearing a "vest"?")

That might account for the behavior, a sort of misidentification by Scott, and making both stories plausible, he was reading a book.

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 02:51 PM | Reply

I agree. They only possible scenario I can think of is that he kept a gun in his truck for personal protection that his family was unaware of. When he saw the armed black plainclothes officer he may have thought he was someone looking to commit a crime himself and grabbed the gun for his own protection. Getting in and out of the vehicle may have been him trying to see what was going on beyond his view in the truck. Even though their were uniformed officers at the scene we don't know if Scott saw them or he may have thought the uniformed officers were trying to capture the plainclothes officer who was visually armed.

So far that's the best I've got.

#24 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 02:52 PM | Reply

See? Sometimes we do see things alike. ;^)

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 02:53 PM | Reply

Looks more like a gun than a book, but maybe I need a new eyeglass prescription.

legalinsurrection.com

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-09-22 02:53 PM | Reply

Cops are saying the guy they killed was white. They don't know where that dead black dude came from.

#27 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-22 02:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

legalinsurrection.com

#26 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

P.L.A.N.T.

;-)

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 03:00 PM | Reply

If we were in Scott's position is it not plausible that he saw the black cop as a threat to HIS safety and just because this plainclothed officer commanded him to drop his weapon, he wasn't going to do it until he could make sure he was who he said he was? And if he hadn't raised his gun at the officer, which the police chief admitted the videos showed, I still don't think that justifies his shooting.

We always hear about the cop's perceptions and thoughts on what they think and saw, but I see plenty of reason for Scott not to drop his gun under the conditions he witnessed with his own eyes. It seems the police never think about what may be going through someone else's mind that would probably go through their own if they were on the other side of the situation wholly unaware that the police see them as a mortal threat as the victim is simply trying to mentally process what the hell is going on without the training and experience of the police.

#29 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:02 PM | Reply

#30 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:03 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

I don't know anyone that keeps a gun in their car, but I don't live where he does either. So that seems pretty plausible too, sad that is the case.

#25 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Agreed :)

#26 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Thats what I have been sayin, you need new specs! :)

#27 | POSTED BY MYSTERYTOY

They always pull that crap! :)

#31 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 03:03 PM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

"An examination by the Trace of data from police departments in 25 large American cities found that thousands of firearms were reported stolen from cars last year, and that in most cities, the numbers are on the rise. Some police officials say thieves are breaking into vehicles for the specific purpose of finding firearms.

Many states, including Georgia, have passed laws spearheaded by the National Rifle Association to expand the number of people legally allowed to carry guns in public, and the number of places where they may carry them, including vehicles. In interviews, gun owners said they took their guns with them when they travelled by car – and because they felt empowered to do so, or because they underestimated the risk, they left them there when they worked, shopped or played.

Thieves have apparently caught on to this trend."
www.theguardian.com

#32 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 03:07 PM | Reply

The confrontation would be very tense.

I still don't think that justifies his shooting.

Its really hard for me to justify any shooting. Sometimes though people put police in no-win situations.

I think this is a people thing, not so much a police thing. Scott was doing the same thing, it was all about who was going to get the drop on whom in Scott's mind? right?

My only question is why did Scott get out of the truck the first time? To investigate? OK, why?

Then returns to truck with weapon? What did he see that he thought he needed it, and why not just leave?

In otherwords he was getting involved with someone that had a weapon for a reason.

#33 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 03:10 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

Do you really think Scott understood that?? Or he carried it to feel empowered?

I am under the impression I don't know the world Scott lives in and as TR describes he had it for "protection" regardless of the law.

#34 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 03:12 PM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

I provided the stats as context regarding how many people carry guns in their vehicles. That's all.

#35 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 03:14 PM | Reply

People know where they live including law abiding black folks. There are a lot of crazy people out there and a man with 7 children and a physical handicap might have felt safer with a hidden piece in his truck. My dad didn't carry a gun, but he did keep a taped-up sledge handle behind his seat, pretty much a homemade billy club.

This is even sadder if our conjecture turns out to be what happened. What I read says the shoots came rapidly after the commands to disarm. Anyone can say they're a cop and some criminals do. Again, if the officer had drawn his weapon and aimed, couldn't he have then made sure Scott saw his badge and ID as long as Scott hadn't raised his weapon? There is little doubt in my mind he would have then dropped it in a heartbeat.

#36 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:17 PM | Reply

He was sitting there waiting for his child to arrive from school. Would you leave the scene before you could insure the safety of your child getting ready to drop right in the middle of whatever was going on?

NC is an open carry state and Scott violated no crimes even when he was holding the gun. An unidentified plainclothed officer saying 'drop your gun' would seem to violate one's 2nd Amendment rights when no criminal activity was observed. Getting in and out of a truck might be suspicious, but it's not criminal in and of itself. And what person is going to relinquish his only protection to someone they view as a threat to then in the matter of a few seconds?

This is easy to think through when one has time and the correct information, but what about when you're scared and have no idea what's actually going on? Remember, there was no visible crime going on and no sirens blaring so why would Scott expect to encounter armed active plainclothed police canvassing in his neighborhood?

#37 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:25 PM | Reply

them

#38 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:26 PM | Reply

I have a millionaire business executive friend who carries a gun in whatever vehicle he drives and he lives in a mansion behind a gated wall. People are scared because so many people have little regard for other's lives and well-being regardless of where one lives.

#39 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 03:29 PM | Reply

-There is no doubt that a gun lies on the ground. The question at issue is did Scott produce it himself?

It was planted by Mark Fuhrman. Or Bristol Palin.

#40 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-09-22 04:18 PM | Reply

Or Bristol Palin.
#40 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Explains it. I heard she's got some loooooooooong arms.

#41 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 04:23 PM | Reply

Rut roh!!!

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Chief Kerr Putney did, however, note that the video fails to establish that Scott was holding a gun when he was shot.

"The video does not give me absolute, definitive, visual evidence that would confirm that a person is pointing a gun," Putney said. www.huffingtonpost.com

We better hold off on criticizing Ms. Williams version quite yet. She isn't the only one telling a different story:
Police and witnesses to the shooting, which include members of Scott's family, disagree on the facts of the incident. Scott's family insists he didn't have a gun at all and was holding a book, as he read while waiting for his son. Police said they later recovered a handgun but no book at the scene.

#42 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 04:39 PM | Reply

Has the family said whether or not Scott was known to carry a gun either on his person or in his car?

#43 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 04:47 PM | Reply

They've said he didn't have one, but we've been speculating he may have had one in the truck that the family didn't know about. Scott was disabled and walked with a cane, so he certainly couldn't outrun any trouble that he might encounter. And with 7 children, he probably didn't want anyone else to know. That's why the assumption he plausibly did have one hidden in a safe place.

#44 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 04:59 PM | Reply

'eyewitness" also said another victim had his hands up begging the cop not to shoot...that turned out to be bunk....proven by the DOJ....

but I read somewhere else just today that holder's doj report on that was a 'cover up'....I laughed and laughed...

still gonna wait for more info...but that's just me.

#45 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-22 06:27 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Are you sure about that? I'm going to need a link. I know in Texas which is open carry you can not brandish your handgun for no reason. You may carry it on your person exposed but you may not hold it in your hand (brandishing). Hand gun being key here the same does not apply to long guns.

#46 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:44 PM | Reply

How do you do something like upholster your weapon to put it in a case?

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 08:50 PM | Reply

Rut roh!!!

#42 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Rut roh!!!

He didn't say it failed to establish that Scott was holding a gun. He said it didn't prove he pointed a weapon, one can be holding a weapon with out pointing it.

#48 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:50 PM | Reply

How do you do something like upholster your weapon to put it in a case?
#47 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Why would one want to upholster their weapon. Must be some kind of leather thing or something.

#49 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:53 PM | Reply

Why would one want to upholster their weapon.

Let's say you're checking in for a flight, and you're not an air marshall.

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 08:55 PM | Reply

Oh lol. That one went right over my head.

Happiness is a plush gun.

#51 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 08:57 PM | Reply

I think the word you're looking for un-holster. I could be wrong though.

#52 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:57 PM | Reply

If you're are checking into a flight it would be illegal to carry your firearm into the airport in the first place.

#53 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:58 PM | Reply

Unless it was already in a case and being checked.

#54 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 08:59 PM | Reply

So you put it in its case in the Hardees parking lot across from the airport.
You weren't planning on driving to the airport unarmed, were you?

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 09:03 PM | Reply

So you put it in its case in the Hardees parking lot across from the airport.
You weren't planning on driving to the airport unarmed, were you?
#55 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Why would you need to get out of the privacy of your vehicle to accomplish this?

#56 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 09:07 PM | Reply

Some holsters are hard to work when you're sitting down in a bucket seat. Plus you wanted to keep the case in the trunk to deter would-be thieves.

It's odd that "open carry" means "not allowed to carry in your hand."
That's a different meaning of the word carry than many would expect.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-22 09:09 PM | Reply

Keith Scott's Family Demands Charlotte Police Release Shooting Video

Relatives of the man killed by police in North Carolina pleaded for calm after two nights of unrest.

Relatives of a black man fatally shot by police in Charlotte, North Carolina, viewed police video of his killing Thursday and called for authorities to immediately release the footage to the public. The family of Keith Lamont Scott, who was shot to death by an officer on Tuesday, saw two police videos of the shooting that raised "more questions than answers," attorney Jason Bamberg said in a statement Thursday evening.

"As a matter of the greater good and transparency, the family asks that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department publicly, immediately release both of the videos they watched today," Bamberg said.

"It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands," Bamberg said. Putney made a similar comment earlier in the day. Bamberg said the video shows that Scott exited his vehicle in a "very calm, non-aggressive manner." Police issued several commands, he said, but Scott "did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time."

Bamberg said the family was pleading for peace and privacy.

"This family does not -- does not -- agree with rioting or innocent individuals being injured or killed," Bamberg said. "But they do support citizens and their right to voice their frustration, to voice their anger."

#58 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 09:18 PM | Reply

It's odd that "open carry" means "not allowed to carry in your hand."
That's a different meaning of the word carry than many would expect.
#57 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Perhaps you are correct, but that's why they publish these laws, so you can read and understand them.

#59 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2016-09-22 09:18 PM | Reply

"When told by police to exit his vehicle, Mr. Scott did so in a very calm, nonaggressive manner," Mr. Bamberg said. "While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time." When an officer opened fire, he added, "Mr. Scott's hands were by his side, and he was slowly walking backwards." www.nytimes.com

Is this starting to sound familiar to anyone else beside myself?

#60 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-22 09:26 PM | Reply

So basically, the 'eyewitness' appears to be another type of 'Tawana Brawley', only worse, as look at the damage [including a human life] caused by that video which distorted the facts.

#61 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-09-23 07:59 PM | Reply

New details are emerging about Scott's troubled past, his many encounters with law enforcement, and the reason behind his six year stay in a Bexar County, Texas prison just a decade ago.

Scott had a long police record that included gun violations. Christian Times Newspaperhas learned, and it has been confirmed by the Charlotte Observer, that Scott was convicted in April 2004 of a misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon charge in Mecklenburg County, and other charges were dismissed: including felony assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, assault on a female, and communicating threats. Scott was also charged with assault with intent to kill in 1995.

The most shocking find in Scott's record, however, is what occurred in Bexar County, Texas in 2005. In March of that year, Scott was sentenced to 15 months in state prison for evading arrest, and in July, he was consecutively sentenced to seven years on a conviction of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon…

One source, who asked CTN to refrain from using her name to protect her identity, told reporters that Scott fired a handgun at San Antonio police officers when they attempted to detain him in February 2005 after noticing that he was driving erratically.

#62 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-23 08:38 PM | Reply

New details are emerging about Scott's troubled past

Got any details on the troubled past of the police who killed him?

Or do you not go for that whole "fair and balanced" thing?

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-23 08:42 PM | Reply

Got any details on the troubled past of the police who killed him?

Or do you not go for that whole "fair and balanced" thing?

#63 | Posted by snoofy

Haven't found anything yet. How about you?

#64 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-23 08:56 PM | Reply

The "victim" has fired on police in the past. I would say the cops made a good kill in this case.

#65 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-23 08:58 PM | Reply

Maybe I should have checked to see if he was ever convicted of carrying a book.

#66 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-23 09:00 PM | Reply