Thursday, September 22, 2016

Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs apologized after video surfaced of him drinking a beer at a school-sponsored tailgate party. The video shows Hobbs being handed a beer at the tailgate party and he says, "No, I can't drink that right now." The crowd then starts yelling for Hobbs to drink the beer, and he says. "I am of age. If they card me, I'm OK. All right, go RU." Before the start of the football season, the school announced it would sponsor a student tailgate at football home games, calling it The Alley. The Alley is a lot about 400 yards from High Point Solutions Stadium. After the incident, Rutgers said it was shutting down the event. "Regrettably, due to safety concerns, The Alley is no longer available for student tailgating." the school said on Twitter.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"My first concern is always for the safety and well-being of our students," Hobbs said. "Anyone who was at the [student tailgate] Saturday knows that I was acting to ensure that. "I regret that any action on my part can be interpreted as promoting the use of alcohol. That was certainly not my intention."

Comments

===Scoreboard===
Fun Police: 1
College Football fans: 0
Gameday atmosphere at Rutgers: -1.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-21 03:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

How on Earth could anyone be expected to watch Rutger's football sober?

#2 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-21 03:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Then why on earth did the "fun police" name their stadium, high point solutions?

#3 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-22 02:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

In Europe, I had an American teacher that drank and played poker, for money, with us. Maybe even a few tokes of weed, can't remember.

#4 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2016-09-22 02:41 PM | Reply

I had an American teacher that drank and played poker, for money, with us. #4 | POSTED BY CRISISSTILLS

One of my parents tells a similar story of how an engineering professor of a senior year course would crack open a Coors or Budweiser at the end of the evening section's lecture.

I doubt such a unique "end of lecture" signal would be tolerated by University administrators today. Though, that mannerism became part of his legacy as when that parent attends EE alum functions hosted by the Uni during football season, everyone from that generation of engineers remembers Dr. ____ and his quirky habit of ending the 6pm sections with a brew.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-22 03:21 PM | Reply

With the Rutgers situation, I can easily imagine the gameday tailgating scene from the article's quote:
"The crowd then starts yelling for Hobbs to drink the beer, and he says. 'I am of age. If they card me, I'm OK. All right, go RU.'"

And how elated the crowd was when the AD said "Go RU!" and took a sip of beer. Of course, the next day the university administrations/fun police cracked down on everyone's jubilation by cancelling future Tailgates in The Alley. AD Hobbs is lucky he wasn't fired or put in a position of a forced resignation as a result of showing a little levity in public.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-22 03:28 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY GONOLES92
#2 | POSTED BY SULLY

LMAO, can't seem to flag it, so thanks for the laugh

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 03:35 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY NUTCASE

You too Nutcase....

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-22 03:36 PM | Reply

God forbid he should have a beer. What if one of the children saw this? Why, it could lead to drinking by college students!

#9 | Posted by cbob at 2016-09-22 04:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This PC BS continues to destroy this country.

Just another reason to vote for Trump...

#10 | Posted by Gr8Music at 2016-09-23 09:04 AM | Reply

------ prohibitionists have infected this country. I hate football as much as anybody, but this is ridiculous.

And if you think voting for a Rethuglican is going to make it any better, you're the exact opposite of correct. This is RWNJ jesus freak ---.

#11 | Posted by DarkVader at 2016-09-23 09:49 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY DARKVADER

Rutgers is located in New Jersey and I doubt the university administration are a bunch of "Jesus freak" religious conservatives.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-23 11:34 AM | Reply

He'll need to drink a fifth of vodka before the Rutgers game tomorrow. The Buckeyes are looking like a leviathan and Rutgers is looking like Rutgers. This game is going to be ugly.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-23 10:05 PM | Reply

College Football Saturday!!!

Go Noles!

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-24 11:09 AM | Reply

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: