Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My disdain for Donald Trump has little to do with Republican vs Democrat. It has much more to do with what I was taught growing up about being a decent human being. Much of that was taught to me by my father, a man who wasn't perfect but always tried his best to be decent toward and honest with everyone he met. Trump is just about everything I was taught not to be, and it's become almost all but impossible to hold onto whatever respect I once held for people I know who support him. It doesn't feel good to lose that respect. I was also taught to look for the good in people, and I still believe there's good in almost everyone, but I find less of it when I hear people cheer for a man who embodies everything my father taught me to disdain: bullies, liars, blowhards, braggarts, and cheats. To me, championing a man who displays those behaviors on an almost daily basis demonstrates a fundamental flaw of character.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

If we disagree on these things, we simply don't share the same values. If I criticize these things and your response is to laugh with derogatory glee, you come across like a toothless jackass braying as you lift a leg to take a piss on human decency. We can debate the impact of a minimum wage hike, the best approach to healthcare, the effectiveness and constitutionality of a gun regulation proposal, and a great many other things, but human decency isn't on my list of debatable topics anymore and it never should have been to begin with. As former POW Joel Sollender says in a new Hillary Clinton ad, "He is everything I would not want to be or emulate." And those who support him are supporting everything I have no respect for, and I honestly find it hard to separate them from that.

Comments

Based on what I was taught, you just don't do the following: You don't mock the disabled. You don't disparage someone for being a prisoner of war, even if you disagree with their politics. You don't take money from a proclaimed charitable foundation and use it to pay $20,000 for a painting of yourself to give to your spouse. You don't claim you've given a million dollars to veterans that you haven't given, then, when the press discovers and reports that you haven't, try to cover your ass by giving it in the middle of the night before calling a press conference the following day to berate the media for calling you on your dishonesty. You don't insinuate things about the parents of a fallen soldier you could have discovered were false by checking just because you got your precious feelings hurt when they criticized your proposed ban on people who practice their religion which is about as direct a violation of the U.S. Constitution as someone can cook up. You don't claim that people in the military will do whatever you tell them to do, even if it's a war crime, as if this is Nazi Germany and you're der Führer. You don't score women's looks like you're the Universe's gift to them. You don't encourage crowds to commit acts of violence against people exercising their first amendment rights. You don't encourage foreign agents to hack your political opponent's emails. You don't run around accusing the president of not being a natural born citizen, then wrongfully dump the blame on your opponent when you finally have to admit, in the most weaselly way possible, that you were wrong from the start. You don't claim you can't release your tax records because you're being audited when being audited in no way prohibits you from releasing them, and then refuse to even provide evidence that you're actually being audited. You don't pretend you're friends with someone you never met. You don't promote torture when men and women have given their lives to fight enemies who employ it. You don't make flippant remarks about people assassinating the other candidate. You don't do so many things this man does almost every day.

My father was a Republican, but he was not a straight ticket voter, and I can't believe he would have ever cast a ballot for this man. As the father of a handicapped child who died very young, he would have severed any ties he had to Trump the day the candidate mocked a reporter's disfiguring congenital joint disorder.

I think my father would have agreed with my basic argument against such behavior: "---- that ------- and the festering pile of ---- he rode in on."

But more important to me than what my father taught me is what I teach my own children. They're adults now and must decide for themselves who they're going to be, but I still believe it's my responsibility to be someone worthy of their respect.

I think this pretty much covers it.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2016-09-21 09:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Winning!

~Donald J. Trump

#2 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-21 09:53 AM | Reply

The Trump hate is all over the place on the DR. Suck it up, 'cause he's going win and there's nothing neither the far left nor the Republican globalist crowd can do about it. The people have spoken :)

#3 | Posted by CalifChris at 2016-09-21 10:21 AM | Reply

"there's nothing ... the far left ... can do about it."

The far lefties are consistently and vigorously supporting Trump. They claim a spot on the high moral ground while they do it. They look forward to saying "I told you so" over the next 8 years.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-21 10:31 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-

If that's where they're at then they're just as evil as anything they carp about.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2016-09-21 10:33 AM | Reply

The people have spoken :)

#3 | Posted by CalifChris at

Not quite yet.

In any case, Trump supporters are not "people". We'll have to find a new name for them.

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2016-09-21 10:34 AM | Reply

Good headline.

I completely agree.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 10:36 AM | Reply

"The far lefties are consistently and vigorously supporting Trump"

Who?

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 10:37 AM | Reply

Trump and Hillary are both the kind of person that children are taught not to be.

Unfortunately, adult society tends to reward people for being selfish and power hungry.

#9 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-21 10:48 AM | Reply

Who?
#8 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 10:37 AM
Don't mind them, they're just prepping their excuses ahead of time.

It's probably a waste of their butt hurt, though, I still see Clinton winning by a big margin.

#10 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-21 11:11 AM | Reply

#10 When Clinton wins, her supporters butthurt will have just begun.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-21 11:17 AM | Reply

Its interesting to see these contortions of hate, disguised as "what my mother taught me"......

"If I criticize these things and your response is to laugh with derogatory glee, you come across like a toothless jackass braying as you lift a leg to take a piss on human decency."

I find this irony of this statement, relative to the topic to be with out equal. I have never met a Liberal in California, that could have a non-emotional reaction to any political conversation. Pretty much just say you are voting for Trump and you get the derogatory statement.

But I have had good conversations with liberals in redstates. IMO redstate people are just better people.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-21 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

IMO redstate people are just better people.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-21 01:28 PM | Reply | Flag

As was noted, you're going to have to find another word for Trump voters than "people".

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2016-09-21 01:33 PM | Reply

If you don't see Trump as a vile POS then sorry, but you're a terrible example of humanity.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2016-09-21 01:50 PM | Reply

The people have spoken

"The people" are idiots.

Why else do you think the Electoral College was built into the Constitution?

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2016-09-21 01:50 PM | Reply

Why else do you think the Electoral College was built into the Constitution?

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2016-09-21 01:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

To prevent a situation where petty regional biases become the norm. Let's say there is an election where most of the country votes 52% to 48% in favor of candidate A. But in the southwest, candidate B gets 95% of the vote because he was pictured wearing a cowboy hat once. And as a result, candidate B wins. That may anger the rest of the country who took a more nuanced approach in considering their vote and the next time around they may be compelled to vote as petty partisan blocks. Things would just devolve from there.

The electoral college protects against that.

#16 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-21 01:58 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by CalifChris

If, god forbid, he wins, you will own the disaster that is assuredly filled. I predict impeachment within 2 years.

#17 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-09-21 02:25 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

And deservedly so.

#18 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2016-09-21 02:35 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Why would you vote for Trump when he literally said he doesn't plan on presiding over his presidency and is handing the reigns of power to Mike Pence.

Vote third party.

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-21 02:43 PM | Reply

We'll have to find a new name for them.

#6 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2016-09-21 10:34 AM

Hillary already tried, much to her chagrin...

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-09-21 02:59 PM | Reply

Another name for Trump supporters? I favor "Morlocks".

#21 | Posted by Zed at 2016-09-21 03:01 PM | Reply

Trump is closest to an antichrist of any candidate yet. He has the whole package.

#22 | Posted by bored at 2016-09-21 11:00 PM | Reply

The electoral college protects against that.

It was also implemented because the founding fathers didn't trust the electorate with pure democracy.

www.factcheck.org

As Alexander Hamilton writes in "The Federalist Papers," the Constitution is designed to ensure "that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications." The point of the Electoral College is to preserve "the sense of the people," while at the same time ensuring that a president is chosen "by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice."

Emphasis mine.

Sounds like 2016 is a perfect year for the EC to function as it was intended.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2016-09-22 12:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you ask me there are little Trumps running around all over the place. So I don't buy this piece. It's pablum.

Somebody is raising these spoiled, self-centered, egotistical brats.

Both my kids schools are filled with them and their parents.

Morals don't matter in the Neoliberal Age...

#24 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-09-22 06:59 PM | Reply

Morals don't matter in the Neoliberal Age...

#24 | POSTED BY PROLIX247

Which started when?

#25 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-22 07:03 PM | Reply

The modern version began with Nixon. He went to China.

Your point?

#26 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2016-09-23 07:23 PM | Reply

Morals don't matter in the Neoliberal Age...

Is this why you're so at ease supporting Trump?

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-23 07:42 PM | Reply