Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Americans wasted $2.1 billion last year on premium fuel for cars designed to run on regular gasoline, according to a new study from AAA. Despite common misconceptions stemming from its higher price tag and elite-sounding name, premium fuel doesn't provide any benefits for engines that aren't built for it, experts say. "Drivers see the 'premium' name at the pump and may assume the fuel is better for their vehicle," said John Nielsen, AAA's managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. "AAA cautions drivers that premium gasoline is higher octane, not higher quality, and urges drivers to follow the owner's manual recommendations for their vehicle's fuel."

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

A direct result of EBT cards being accepted at Taco Bell. Everyone can now super size for premium gas. :-)

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2016-09-20 08:15 PM | Reply

This is true. I burn Premium in my Acura and lower octane in my 4Runner.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-20 08:18 PM | Reply

When I feel generous, I put 91 octane in my motorcycle, and always put 91 in my backup gas cans for equipment (mowers, chainsaws, blowers, etc. 91 is the only octane that does not contain CORN and small engines are alot happier. I do use the reg. corn stuff in my other vehicals.

#3 | Posted by bat4255 at 2016-09-20 08:25 PM | Reply

As far as I know the octane is just to keep the knock sensors on high tech engines from screwing up the timing.

I'm no chemical engineer though. I'm sure Dr. Knowitall will be along to enlighten us all.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-20 08:34 PM | Reply

I waste more gas than after a good burrito dinner with plenty of beer. And believe you me, it is premium grade.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-09-20 08:56 PM | Reply

Not me. I burn the cheap stuff.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-20 10:54 PM | Reply

We have a few stations around here that sell Ethanol free gas Bat (not that any have any gas right now). I use it when I can get by one of those places but for most stuff I just use regular. I actually read the manual and that is what it says. It even steers you away from E15 which we have a few stations that sell for about 10 cents less.

So yeah don't be stupid pay for the octane your car asks for and unless made for E15 or E85 avoid gas with Ethanol.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-09-20 11:10 PM | Reply

No one seems to understands what octane does.

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-20 11:19 PM | Reply

Kinda.... It controls the burn rate or flame front during combustion.

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-20 11:21 PM | Reply

We have 3 cars, 2 of which call for 91+ octane gas.

We put 93 octane in those 2 cars and put 87 octane in our other car, per specs.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:21 PM | Reply

Andrea,

Turbocharged motors often need higher octane fuel for higher compression rates.

My primary car has a turbocharger. It will run on 87 octane but it accelerates better with 93 octane. I put 93 in its tank.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:24 PM | Reply

Turbocharged motors often need higher octane fuel for higher compression rates.

That could be true. I had a 2002 supercharged Grand Prix that needed premium.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-20 11:30 PM | Reply

Redial,

Our '04 BMW 545i and our '15 Ford Focus ST recommend premium.

Our '08 Ford Taurus X runs perfectly fine on 87 octane fuel.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:36 PM | Reply

If you actually Read The Friendly Manual, your car will tell you what fuel octane rating it needs.

And if you're traveling across the plains, don't buy the 85.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 11:50 PM | Reply

As has been pointed out several times on this thread.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-21 12:01 AM | Reply

Octane is a measure of the compressibility of a fuel without detonation. Percentage of octane refers to the equivalent mix of heptane which has zero compressibility and iso octane which has a very high level of compressibility. So a fuel with a 93 octane rating behaves like a mixture of 93% iso octane and 7% heptane. Cars that have higher compression engines such as turbo or supercharged engines or those with very high performance engines could experience detonation with lower octane fuels. Detonation occurs when the fuel / air mixture is compressed to self ignition temperature, in other words it explodes rather than being ignited by the ignition system (spark plug). Detonation is required on a diesel engine which has no spark plugs but is detrimental to conventional engines over time. Octane has nothing to do with the amount of energy contained in the fuel, in fact higher octane fuels can actually contain slightly less energy per unit of volume than lower octane fuels due to other additives. So unless your vehicle has a high compression engine and needs higher octane fuel, you are throwing your money away. Its like paying extra for a longer fuse on your dynamite than what you need to get away.

#16 | Posted by hamsterpants at 2016-09-21 07:45 AM | Reply

Utah regular is 85 octane. California regular is 87 octane.

#17 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-21 07:49 AM | Reply

Thats true and we waste even more on these anti pollution additives that are not need outside cities. They clog up our engines and make gas storage impossible.

Ethanol in gas is even worse.

Lets not even talk about these new gas cans that try to keep in fumes and are impossible to use.

#18 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-09-21 09:42 AM | Reply

My guess would be that there are more types of vehicles in CA that require higher octane fuel than there are in UT. Higher octane has nothing to do with pollution standards

#19 | Posted by hamsterpants at 2016-09-21 09:51 AM | Reply

Ethanol destroys boat engines.

#20 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-21 11:13 AM | Reply

The only cars that require high octane are very high performance or very old muscle cars. Most of those guys who are able to afford those exotic vehicles will not blink at spending 100 bucks for a fill up with aviation fuel. (110 octane) Don't waste your money.

#21 | Posted by docnjo at 2016-09-21 06:43 PM | Reply

Our '04 BMW 545i and our '15 Ford Focus ST recommend premium.
Our '08 Ford Taurus X runs perfectly fine on 87 octane fuel.

#13 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2016-09-20 11:36 PM

All modern cars will run just fine on 87 octane regardless of the manual recommendation, just fill up your tank with 87 before your next tune up and you will never know the difference. I have a '69 912 that has to run on 93 octane, but any car built after 1990 has the electronics to adjust for lower octane once you tune it that way.

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-09-21 06:59 PM | Reply