Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Radley Balko, Washington Post: The ACLU has filed suit on behalf of Michael Picard who was protesting a DUI checkpoint. The suit claims multiple civil rights violations were committed as an act of retaliation against Picard's protest. The ACLU charges that a member of the Connecticut State Police knocked his camera out of his hand, thought it was broke and then seized it without realizing it was still recording. The recording captured at least three officers discussing how best to deal with Picard, who is said to be well known by police in the area for his peaceful protests and for being an open carry advocate. After they verified his gun permit is valid you can hear one cop say "we really gotta cover our asses" and then they discuss a variety of possible charges they can make against Picard. On the recording you hear one of the cops fabricate a story about witnesses claiming he was waiving his gun around but none were willing to give an official statement.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Only takes bad apple to spoil the bushel

#1 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2016-09-20 07:00 PM | Reply

"recording captured at least three officers discussing how best to deal with Picard"

Which makes it a conspiracy. Some of the power-tripping cops can never be reined in, that's just how psychopaths operate. But some cops I'm sure are nice people. For them, punishing cops who screw up might succeed in sending a message.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 07:03 PM | Reply

Like poisoned skittles.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-20 07:10 PM | Reply

I loved the one where the cops raided a dispensary and then made fun of an amputee ...one female cop said she wanted to "kick her in the nub" and then they ate the marijuana laced edibles while forgetting to take down all the cameras. A real confidence booster.

www.rt.com

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-09-20 08:12 PM | Reply

Does anyone really believe this isn't common and widespread?

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-20 09:55 PM | Reply

Does anyone really believe this isn't common and widespread?

No, but they'll lie to your face and tell you it isn't.

A few whose are not that prescient, they'll say, gosh golly, we simply had no idea this kind of thing happens! Plus it's probably an isolated incident anyway. Plus he was probably guilty of something anyway.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 10:02 PM | Reply

Define common and widespread

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 10:16 PM | Reply

How about... you tell us how common and widespread you think this kind of thing is.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 10:17 PM | Reply

No. I didn't use those terms.

It's fair to define them.

But if you can't.......

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 10:23 PM | Reply

Then perhaps you'd like to tell us this is as isolated and rare incident?
Or could it be, dear Eberly, that you actually have nothing to say?

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 10:25 PM | Reply

"Define common and widespread
#7 | POSTED BY EBERLY"

"How about... you tell us how common and widespread... #8 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

Don't mind me as I do a drive by of this thread, but I always find it funny when a person is asked for clarification and in response, they deflect with a new question.

#11 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-20 10:29 PM | Reply

By all means, let's pettifog the issue by micromanaging the meaning of "common" and "widspreead."
You actually believe Eberly doesn't know what those two words mean?
Nah, nobody's that dumb...

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 10:34 PM | Reply

I've never seen someone so dumb as to confuse define with micromanage.

If I wanted to call this an isolated incident, I would have done that.

But....I don't know. Someone asserted it was common and widespread

No challenge of that. Only an attack of someone who asked what those terms mean.

Again......snoofy you are the meanest harshest SOB here.

are you fat?

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 10:52 PM | Reply

1 out of 5 cops have done this?

1 out of 50?

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 10:58 PM | Reply

Former Baltimore PD officer, who's a PhD candidate, suggests this sort of thing is common in Baltimore. He also suggests this sort of culture is not uncommon nationally, but he's not one position to prove such a contention. He also confirms institutional racism exists and that he was a pawn within the process.

youtu.be

#15 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-20 11:01 PM | Reply

Eberly -

I speculate that it's around 2 out of 5 that have behaved this way or in a similar manner.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-20 11:04 PM | Reply

I guess it depends on the municipality.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:09 PM | Reply

Fair enough, rsty.

Now, show snoofy some manners.

Never mind, that boy is beyond help.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 11:12 PM | Reply

Ebs,

Don't worry about Snoofy.

Just go Frank Cotton on him. Every time I've threatened that he went completely submissive.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:17 PM | Reply

#16 out of about a dozen run-in's with cops, I had one charge my passenger with "interfering with the driver" (he wasn't), and one time me and all three of my passengers got stopped and sent to jail because they where "looking for four guys in a brown sedan".

Yeah, me and my crew.

My little brother got a speeding a ticket on his bicycle when he was twelve.

It all comes down to the neighborhood you live in, IMHO. The rich get it easy, the poor get screwed. Because poor neighborhoods are patrolled by asshat cops.

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-20 11:17 PM | Reply

I love how I sent Snoofy running for cover! :-)

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:25 PM | Reply

HEMIUMRAT -

For contextual sake of the current thread and future threads, are you black?

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2016-09-20 11:36 PM | Reply

Someone asserted it was common and widespread

You don't know what common and widespread mean?
I think you're lying.
You have to be lying. More accurately trolling.
How can you now know what common means, or widespread?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 11:39 PM | Reply

Now, show snoofy some manners.

Define "manners."
Punk.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 11:40 PM | Reply

are you black?

He's poor and white.
So poor, they had to live in majority non-white neighborhood.
The injustices from both the police and the non-whites didn't end until they got enough money to get out of there and into a majority white neighborhood.

Apologies if my synopsis was not to your liking HRat.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-20 11:49 PM | Reply

#22 Scots-Irish, with 1/8 Comanche.

#26 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-20 11:51 PM | Reply

#25 It wasn't money that allowed us to move out. We found a really cheap apartment complex on the edges of a mostly white school district.

Then we had to put up with all the rich kids thumbing their noses at us. But at least the daily violence ended.

#27 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-21 12:14 AM | Reply

"You don't know what common and widespread mean?"

You don't realize you're fooling nobody with this charade of yours?

everyone here knows those are subjective terms and will be up for wide interpretation.

Thanks to Rsty for giving us some sort of parameters.

You just want to believe that my question is code for denying that it's common and widespread.

You're a lying fattie.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 08:19 AM | Reply

I think those arguing about how common this is or what the percentages are are missing the point. 1 in a million is too many. Are we saying that if only 1 out of 100 cops do this its okay but if its i out of 25 its not? Im sorry but cops have to be held to a higher standard, If they arent willing to accept and comply with those standards then choose another line of work. Nobody is conscripted into being a cop. I think any incidence of this sort should be criminally and harshly prosecuted. Then say for arguments sake that 1 out of 50 cops would do something like this, this year, after the prosecutions and show trials maybe 1 out of 49 would next year. After that one is prosecuted, 1 out of 48 the next year and so on. Does anybody honestly think that these kind of actions by ordinary citizens would be tolerated on the basis of "its rare and isolated"?

#29 | Posted by hamsterpants at 2016-09-21 09:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

1 out of 5 cops have done this?

1 out of 50?

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-20 10:58 PM | Reply:

Depends on the size of the police department and how long the cop has served. The more cops are on the force, the more likely it is that an individual cop will run across a peer who does this. The longer they serve, the more it becomes inevitable.

I would count standing idly by listening to other cops doing this without stopping it as participating. Using that definition, I believe almost every career officer experiences this at least once.

#30 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-21 09:53 AM | Reply

They'll get off free, even in the face of clear video evidence. Probably get promoted and a raise.

#31 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-21 09:53 AM | Reply

It will not end until cops are held personally responsible (especially when it comes to murdering unarmed citizens), and THAT won't happen until there are citizen review boards controlling inquiries (rather than the foxes guarding the hen houses)

#32 | Posted by Sezu at 2016-09-21 10:16 AM | Reply

The ACLU protecting an Open Carry proponent. Conservative heads must be spinning.

#33 | Posted by Sycophant at 2016-09-21 10:20 AM | Reply

I have no doubt that a career LEO will experience this in their career more than once and obviously this happens way too frequently.

Why do these officers feel compelled to charge someone like this guy with something?

Cops are very thin skinned.

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 10:32 AM | Reply

Cops are very thin skinned.

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-21 10:32 AM | Reply

I think part of it is that they are led to believe that they are going to die if they allow people to get away with challenging them in any way.

The other part of it is that power corrupts. When people become accostomed to others treating them with a certain deference, a sense of entitlement develops and it becomes very insulting when someone doesn't go along with the pattern. Not saying that it affects everyone to the same extent but its human nature.

#35 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-21 10:44 AM | Reply

There is also the decision of the person who decides to become a police officer and his/her willingness to enforce laws that are unjust such as the prohibition on marijuana. I actually considered it when I was young, I decided that I would just not be willing to participate in the incarceration of people who had committed victimless crimes. I truly wonder about the conscience of those who can, as in if they even have one. Then I read stories like this one and it pretty much confirms my suspicion that having a conscience and becoming a police officer is an oxymoron. IMHO.

#36 | Posted by danni at 2016-09-21 10:57 AM | Reply

#33 | Posted by Sycophant at 2016-09-21 10:20 AM

At this point, no one should be shocked at the ACLU protecting conservatives.

They helped gun owners in Louisiana, even Rush Limbaugh.

Sometimes they oppose liberals / Democrats on their ideas as well; take using the no-fly list to deny someone the ability to purchase a firearm.

The ACLU is a great organization that legitimately tries to protect our freedoms and rights IMO, liberal or conservative.

#37 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-21 11:01 AM | Reply

Cops are very thin skinned.
#34 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I haven't found this to be the case, working with them at cycling events, I find them to be professional when on the job, and fairly entertaining when off the clock.

Then I read stories like this one and it pretty much confirms my suspicion that having a conscience and becoming a police officer is an oxymoron. -DANNI

This is known as confirmation bias, actually get to know a cop, don't read some article written by someone with an axe to grind (either way).

#38 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2016-09-21 11:12 AM | Reply

Yea, give them one more chance.

They are simply misunderstood.

#39 | Posted by fresno500 at 2016-09-21 04:57 PM | Reply

Years ago I served in a Reserve unit with a bunch of cops. They all bragged about having throwdown weapons ready and how they sent people to prison by sprinkling drugs in their car. They were good shots though.

#40 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2016-09-22 10:54 AM | Reply

For the record, I support Eb on what exactly are the parameters. 2 out of 5? That's an extremely pessimistic view of US law enforcement. Someone in internal affairs could probably give a more accurate figure, otherwise we are just pulling numbers out of our behinds.

#41 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2016-09-22 12:45 PM | Reply

not every cop is a bad apple. I guess cameras work both ways now... !

#42 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2016-09-22 07:56 PM | Reply

Only takes a bad bushel to spoil the apple as far as I've ever seen in my life. Sorry, anytime I was a victim of a crime, I've seen nothing but Keystones do absolutely nothing, whenever I hear them speak publicly, it sounds like they run the entire country. Any cop I've ever known personally has been admittedly corrupt, and any cop I've known casually has been a total bag. Whenever I see them on tv (real tv, not shows), they are defending some sort of bad behavior or talking like they live in Falluja. You can lick boots all you want. From what I see, they are a bunch of scared bullies, the lot of them.

#43 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-09-23 05:56 AM | Reply