Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Former President George H.W. Bush is bucking his party's presidential nominee and plans to vote for Hillary Clinton in November. Kathleen Hartington Kennedy Townsend, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland and a member of the Kennedy family, posted a photo on Facebook of herself and the 41st president and wrote, "The President told me he's voting for Hillary!" Townsend said she met Bush Tuesday in Maine where he made his preference known. A Bush spokesperson would not confirm or deny her claim.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Many former GOP officials from both Bush administrations have also announced their support for Clinton over Trump, including national security adviser Brent Scowcroft and former Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez. One Bush official who has taken Trump's side is former Vice President Dan Quayle.

Comments

LOL. don't even bother calling yourselves liberals and progressives as you pull the lever for this candidate.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-20 01:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

Do you have your outfit picked out for Trump's inauguration? I know you're excited.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-20 01:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I won't vote for Trump or Clinton because I feel they are both unfit.

At this point, I am rooting against Clinton more than I am rooting against Trump.

Trump will have more checks against his power than Hillary - that alone makes him less unappealing.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 01:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BushJr is voting for Hillary?

AFKABL2's head exploded.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 01:33 AM | Reply

Senility...

#5 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2016-09-20 02:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Both should be in a nursing home..

#6 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2016-09-20 03:02 AM | Reply

#6 Why is there space available in yours?

#7 | Posted by bored at 2016-09-20 03:58 AM | Reply

I am not surprised the clintons and the bush family have lots in common.

#8 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2016-09-20 04:35 AM | Reply

CLOWN

"BushJr is voting for Hillary?"

If Momma Bush says everybody vote for Hillary, everybody in the Bush family will vote for Hillary.

H.W. already has his walking orders. The word is out.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-20 04:38 AM | Reply

SHEEPLE

" don't even bother calling yourselves liberals and progressives as you pull the lever for this candidate."

Some people can see past labels and do what they think is best for the country. You're not one of them.

BTW, it's called freedom or otherwise known as American Democracy.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-20 05:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

SHEEPLE doesn't seem to believe in the Constitution.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-20 06:01 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I don't call myself a liberal or a progressive. You know who calls me a liberal, at least here on the DR? Know-nothing morons from the far right-wing.

As a former Bernie Supporter, I will happily be voting for Hillary.

For me it's kind of cool in that I also voted for Old Man Bush, so I suppose he and I see the same thing in regards to Trump.

#12 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 07:15 AM | Reply

I won't vote for Trump or Clinton because I feel they are both unfit.

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

You don't even know what the definition of "politics" is ... At its core, "Politics" is defined as "the art of the possible".

A president Trump, with an "R" after his name, means that Republicans would hold the executive and legislative branches of government, which means Trump would have LESS checks on him given that the GOP also holds onto the House and Senate. While you may not understand politics defined, you do know how the government works, right?

And if your retort is that you'd don't want president Hillary and Democratic controlled House and Senate, well, the last time that happened we got a tax cut and got some accountability in out wasteful healthcare system ... and with a Democratic president Obama we got less government spending. All things that you should be embracing. But in order to embrace these things you have to actually know that they were done. And you don't know these things because you're a hopeless ideologue from the far right-wing -- no offense.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 07:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The GOP leadership has shown a willingness to rebuke Trump in ways that Democrats are incapable of doing in regards to their nominee. The MSM is 100,000 times more critical of Trump than Hillary. They went to extreme lengths to protect their precious from any kind of scrutiny over the past 8 years. That trend will continue albeit not to the same extent with Hillary. With Trump they will live in his sphincter going to amazing lengths to dredge up anything they can on his administration.

But you don't understand this because you are a left wing idealogue who pretends to be "moderate". No offense.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 07:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

"The MSM is 100,000 times more critical of Trump than Hillary. "

Study after study has shown just the opposite, as has observation. Any of a dozen things DJT has said would've triggered an investigation, if a "D" were after his name.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2016-09-20 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Danforth,

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 09:27 AM | Reply

Meanwhile Mike Pence wants to grow up to be Dick Cheney. Don't go hunting with Mike Pence. He'll shoot you in the face.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2016-09-20 09:56 AM | Reply

Makes sense, because they're both equally deplorable.

#19 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-20 09:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

They still do not get it as those for Trump are tired of/disillusioned by the Republican establishment not representing their interests and could care less if the whole Bush clam denounce Trump. So basically, this will have little if any influence on the election.

#20 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-09-20 10:07 AM | Reply

you are a left wing idealogue who pretends to be "moderate". No offense.

#14 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I'm so left wing that I had to show you, a self-identified conservative and Republican, that Obama cut government spending.

Which begs the question ... are you really a conservative or are you just a right-winger who gleefully passed around all those racist Obama emails the second Obama became president?

At least Old Man Bush called out the NRA when they pandered to right-wing nutjobs. Something I wholeheartedly supported.

The country's politics have shifted so far to the right, verified tax cuts and reduced government spending by Obama are still not acknowledged by know-nothing anti-Obama rubes who now make up Trump's base.

#21 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 10:08 AM | Reply

All the grown up Republicans are pointing out how spectacularly ridiculous it is to have a reality TV star becoming president of the United States.

Hillary has allot of faults, but her faults do not come within 1000 miles of the absurdity of a president Trump.

As someone who voted for Old Man Bush (who's a war hero - I also voted for war hero Bob Dole) ... I think it's great that sane minded conservatives and Republicans are supporting Hillary.

#22 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 10:48 AM | Reply

It should tell you something that so many Republican leaders are breaking party ranks and doing this. This would never happen unless Trump would be a total disaster as president. He's not a Republican. He's not a conservative. He's not an emotionally stable adult. He loves tyrants, he makes light of violence and he demonizes immigrants with language right out of the rise of Hitler. And some of you folks want to give him the nuclear codes. It's complete madness.

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-20 10:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

You didn't show ----.

I picked apart your claim that Obama reduced spending and you can take your race baiting crap and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. [...]

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:23 AM | Reply

He's not a Republican.
#4 | Posted by rcade

Trump isn't what Rs were some time in the past but he's what Rs have become these days. That's why he's their nominee. And yes, it's complete madness.

#25 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2016-09-20 11:31 AM | Reply

The elites have chosen their warmonger and protector of fortunes.

Well done, gentlemen; I know she'll make you proud. and richer.

#26 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-20 11:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#20 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

You're right, I'm not smart. But I had to show you that Obama cut government spending. The only thing you picked apart was your nose.

Just like in the Nooner where for years I've shown where Obama cut taxes to people like you, and they STILL can't acknowledge that fact.

As much as I despise racists, I actually see the David Duke's of the world as people of ... not worthy of respect ... but at least as people who are honest about their hate.

You don't like my strident tone? Sorry. Blame the United States Air Force. They trained me to be a Master Sergeant.

#27 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 11:47 AM | Reply

@ JeffJ

Here's another source explaining that government spending during Obama has declined ...

FOX Business News: The Deficit is Disappearing, Literally and Politically

www.foxbusiness.com

If you find me concensending, sorry. I don't mean to, but I do feel strongly about truth and fairness ... and I'll yell if I have to in order to get the truth thru the fog of lies and misinformation.

#28 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2016-09-20 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Has the Loudmouth of Orange insulted Bush yet? Just wait...

#29 | Posted by catdog at 2016-09-20 12:17 PM | Reply

This is actually sad news.

#30 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2016-09-20 12:19 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by danni

Is that worse than when hiltabeast puts a hit on you because you crossed her?

#31 | Posted by Sniper at 2016-09-20 12:19 PM | Reply

Has the Loudmouth of Orange insulted Bush yet? Just wait...

#7 | Posted by catdog

Only if Bush insults him first.

#32 | Posted by Sniper at 2016-09-20 12:20 PM | Reply

[...] My next favorite is how Trump bribed the AG to drop Charges related to the Scam Trump University,

My next favorite is how Trump used Charity monet to buy himself a $20000 portrait of himself.

My next favorite is the Tax fraud relating o his "Foundation".

My next favorite is how Trump spent a quarter million in "Charity" money to pay personal legal fees.

My next favorite is how Trump Bilked $40,000,000 out of students for his Trump U. scam.

But you all know of these and many, many, more.

I guess the Bush family does too.

#33 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-09-20 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump will have more checks against his power than Hillary ...

On what planet has a Republican Congress ever acted as a check on the power of a Republican president?

Ryan and McConnell will be just like Reince Priebus if Trump is elected. They barely criticize him now. They'll never do it if he has power.

#34 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-20 01:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Trump will have more checks against his power than Hillary

#3 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

How did you determine that?

#35 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-09-20 01:37 PM | Reply

Never mind. I disagree, but you answered the question.

#36 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-09-20 01:40 PM | Reply

BushJr is voting for Hillary?

AFKABL2's head exploded.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at

ahahahhahaa.....EXCEPT THAT......

t says as reported by a kennedy....please...kennedys come from a mafia monied bootlegger, cheater who bought one son a senate seat, another son who MURDERED A WOMAN name Mary jo and was thrown out of harvard for CHEATING and a host of dopers,alcoholics, cheaters and entitled elites who demanded that NO WIND TURBINS be placed where they would ruin their view, while pushing them for the peon little people......They're in the same dumpster as HRC

.if 41 says it, I'll believe it...

#37 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 03:17 PM | Reply

The source is already crawfishing on it....even then, I"m holding judgement until it comes from 41

#38 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 03:18 PM | Reply

You know your heart skipped a beat when you first read the story.

#39 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 03:27 PM | Reply

no.....I left my heart....in sannnn franciscoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

here's a SHOCKER IN TODAY"S NEWS...

just read two reports, each one TOTALLY OPPOSITE of the other....

#40 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 03:31 PM | Reply

Meanwhile Mike Pence wants to grow up to be Dick Cheney.....
#1 | Posted by danni

Is that worse than when hiltabeast puts a hit on you because you crossed her?
#31 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Perfect example of the American Right wing thought process where proven facts and recorded statements have the same weight as unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo.

#41 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2016-09-20 03:45 PM | Reply

also clown...

if I'm convinced that happened, I will be petitioning the "head groundskeeper"....lol.....for a new screen name....

I recently blocked my own brother on facebook ....apparently the past 5 years in Oregon has rotted his brain.....a brain that was magna cum laude graduate at Rice Univeristy and law degree from Harvard......

something went wrong somewhere...

lol

#42 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 03:49 PM | Reply

I'll assume your brother stopped being surrounded by angry conservatives.

It's amazing what you'll discover when you're allowed to think for yourself.

#43 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 03:53 PM | Reply

right....have you ever watched "portlandia".. ahahaha

just like every LINK WITH THE DEVIL ...

there's a woman involved...

lol

#44 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 03:55 PM | Reply

when you're allowed to think for yourself.

#43 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016

one of the funniest lines around the blogging world I've read today...voting for HRC no matter what isn't thinking for yourself....

it's great to think "outside the box" but when a proven liar like hrc is the choice of that 'box"...it's no longer outside anything...but that person is just one of the 'boys'....

#45 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 04:04 PM | Reply

not referring to you in previous post....just left wing, extremist, progressive fascist ( oxymoron )

in general....

#46 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 04:06 PM | Reply

DRAT CLOWN

should have added progressive fascist ( oxymoron ) commie, pinko liberal, pot smoking, long haired hippy, vw bus driving, tye dyed T shirt wearing, bearded freak who listens to YANNI...

ahahaha...just to show I"m creating a mood of jockularity here in this tense and dangerous time...

#47 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 04:10 PM | Reply

voting for HRC no matter what isn't thinking for yourself

No one ever accused BushJr of being able to think for himself.

#48 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 04:23 PM | Reply

that's absurd.....

BUT in addition to asking for name change...I"VE GOT IT ALL WORKED OUT...IF TRUE...

when they come to astro games...or other events, people stand and clap...if this is true, I will TAKE A KNEE..

AHAHHA hah ha

#49 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2016-09-20 04:32 PM | Reply

Just for afkunable

Texan Love Song

I heard from a friend you'd been messing around
With a cute little thing I'd been dating uptown
Well I don't know if I like that idea much
Well you'd better stay clear I might start acting rough

You out of town guys sure think you're real keen
Think all of us boys are homespun and green
But that's wrong my friend so get this through your head
We're tough and we're texan with necks good and red

So it's ki yi yippie yi yi
You long hairs are sure gonna die
Our american home was clean till you came
And kids still respected the president's name

And the eagle still flew in the sky
Hearts filled with national pride
Then you came along with your drug-crazy songs
Goddamit you're all gonna die

How dare you sit there and drink all our beer
Oh it's made for us workers who sweat spit and swear
The minds of our daughters are poisoned by you
With your communistic politics and them negro blues

Well I'm gonna quit talking and take action now
Run all of you fairies clean out of this town
Oh I'm dog tired of watching you mess up our lives
Spending the summertime naturally highback to top

Music by elton john
Lyrics by bernie taupin

#50 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-20 04:45 PM | Reply

Of course he would vote against Trump. Bush 41 is loyalto his family. Trump trashed both his sons. Laura is also going that way. www.thepoliticalinsider.com

#51 | Posted by jasfootball2 at 2016-09-20 05:01 PM | Reply

Your logic is faulty.

A Republican voting for Hillary doesn't make Hillary a Republican.

If you voted for Trump would that make him a liberal?

#52 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-20 05:08 PM | Reply

She is a NeoCon war hawk. Why are we surprised?

#53 | Posted by TheDude at 2016-09-20 05:18 PM | Reply

It's hard to imagine how anyone could see an endorsement from Bush 41 as a positive thing.

#54 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2016-09-20 05:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Your sources are cherry-picking their facts and reverse engineering a predetermined conclusion.

I explained the logical fallacies contained within your first source.

For the record, I didn't say you aren't smart. I said you aren't smart enough to be condescending.

#55 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 05:46 PM | Reply

That's a pretty condescending thing to say, JeffJ. Are you smart enough?

#56 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-20 06:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I don't know about you "progressives," but I am very glad that H.W. Bush didn't publicly dedicate his vote for Dr. Jill Stein.

Jill Stein doesn't need the public support of evil, warmongering, spit-on-the-poor Republican types.

#57 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-20 06:29 PM | Reply

Apparently I am smart enough, at least in my own mind.

#58 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 06:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

If Bush Sr. votes for Hillary he does so out of love for his grandchildren and their children.

While not one of our great Presidents the man has no doubt socialized with every Republican President (and nominee for President) since Hoover.

He knows what the job requires, what it does not and if Trump is so unqualified Bush feels obligated to vote for Hillary I see no reason why all Republicans shouldn't join him.

#59 | Posted by Tor at 2016-09-20 06:38 PM | Reply

...voting for HRC no matter what isn't thinking for yourself...."

Voting for Trump isn't thinking for anyone including yourself or your children.

#60 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-09-20 06:41 PM | Reply

This is actually not surprising. Bush Sr. and Bill Clinton have developed a close relationship over the past couple of decades. That he would choose to vote for Hillary Clinton over an outsider who hijacked the Republican Party...

#61 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 06:42 PM | Reply

"Bush feels obligated to vote for Hillary I see no reason why all Republicans shouldn't join him."

I endorse you for chairman of your local "Republicans for Hillary" chapter. Keep up the good work: center-right Hillary would certainly be a great candidate for many repulsive rethugs.

#62 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-20 06:46 PM | Reply

IF Bush jr had done his job Bill and Hillary would have been in jail for what they did in office its his fault.

#63 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-09-20 06:47 PM | Reply

Not only that. Trump openly criticized BushJr and mocked Jebya.

He tore Jeb a few new holes.

It makes sense the Bushes wouldn't vote for Trump.

What is surprising is their endorsement of Hillary.

#64 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 06:54 PM | Reply

Neo-Con voting for a Neo-Lib equals Neo World Order

#65 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-09-20 07:12 PM | Reply

oh and desperation...

#66 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-09-20 07:19 PM | Reply

Bill took George's job.

No matter how nice they treat each other George wouldn't vote for Hillary unless he really did see her as the only sane option.

#67 | Posted by Tor at 2016-09-20 09:26 PM | Reply

Has anyone seen recent photos of BushJr?

He looks awful.

Really really awful.

#68 | Posted by ClownShack at 2016-09-20 09:35 PM | Reply

This is bad news since Bush was such a great president.

#69 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-20 09:51 PM | Reply

and if you want to root out the terrorists... find those WMD....

Don't stop looking.... They are there-- I sware.

-W

#70 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-09-20 10:20 PM | Reply

Not as bad as Hillary on the last cover of the National Enquirer...

#71 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-09-20 10:23 PM | Reply

so do you also feel like one world government is the only 'sane' option?

#72 | Posted by Jimbob43 at 2016-09-20 10:26 PM | Reply

H.W. Bush voting for Hillary?

I wonder if this is the straw that will tip Texas blue.

#73 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-20 11:07 PM | Reply

You don't want to mess with Texas Blue, Twin.

Check this out:

www.youtube.com

Note - the fish that this Texas Blue is battling with is a Green Terror.

#74 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-20 11:13 PM | Reply

I wonder if this is the straw that will tip Texas blue.

Given that the Bush family is from Massachusetts I'd go with no.

#75 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-20 11:16 PM | Reply

"Did you see the reaction to Fallon having the audacity of having Trump on his show? Every stupid thing he says gets absurd reactions from the talking heads. Heck the NYT admitted that ditching journalistic norms when covering Trump is justified because Trump."

Thinks social media is the main stream media.

#76 | Posted by klifferd at 2016-09-21 12:30 AM | Reply

Thinks social media is the main stream media.

#76 | POSTED BY KLIFFERD

NYT is the essence of mainstream media.

#77 | Posted by JeffJ at 2016-09-21 12:35 AM | Reply

"Former President George H.W. Bush is bucking his party's presidential nominee and plans to vote for Hillary Clinton in November."

This is the old "rope a dope" trick. As usual Dubya the "dummy" is miles ahead of his hate mongers.
He knows that if he leaks that he's voting for cankles, millions will say, "hmm me no trusty dat guy"..and then vote for Trump.

#78 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2016-09-21 07:53 AM | Reply

"Heck the NYT admitted that ditching journalistic norms when covering Trump is justified because Trump."

The NYT also admitted Trump gets graded on a curve. Look at his latest Foundation scandal, and ask yourself the salient question:

Had his name been Clinton, how many nanoseconds would've passed before Gowdy and Chaffetz insisted on an investigation?

#79 | Posted by Danforth at 2016-09-21 07:57 AM | Reply

"hmm me no trusty dat guy"..

Especially when he says "Read my lips..."

#80 | Posted by REDIAL at 2016-09-21 08:00 AM | Reply

Donald Trump: ‘I can understand how the Bush family feels'; Jeb was ‘supposed to win'

#81 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2016-09-21 08:20 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The old Bush, Jeb and Momma are all pretty 'thin-skinned'.....Loyalty not exactly a label any of them have worn over the years; so no lost there....!!!

#82 | Posted by drsoul at 2016-09-21 05:46 PM | Reply

hey george, we the people kicked you to the curb for good reason. just stay there and count your money. anything you say a true patriot knows to do the opposite. still a wimp.

#83 | Posted by visiter at 2016-09-22 06:13 AM | Reply

The Bush family is the epitome of party loyalty. When the Patriarch breaks that mold, it's times to sit up and take a close look at what Trump is doing right under your nose.

Right under your nose!

#84 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-22 06:41 AM | Reply

As usual Dubya the "dummy" is miles ahead of his hate mongers.
#78 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2016-09-21 07:53 AM | Reply | Flag:
Math challenged, can't discern between 41 and 43.

#85 | Posted by et_al at 2016-09-22 07:10 AM | Reply