Tuesday, September 20, 2016

One of the most striking campaign ads for the general election has nothing to do with the presidential race and is aimed at only one state. It is from Jason Kander, a Democratic candidate for Senate in Missouri, a veteran who explains his support for firearms background checks using a blindfold and an assault rifle. The In a sparse warehouse, Mr. Kander stands alone, a blindfold pulled over his eyes. Before him is a wooden table, the various parts of a disassembled rifle splayed out.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"Senator Blunt has been attacking me on guns," Kander says of his Republican opponent, Senator Roy Blunt, as he props up the body of the rifle to begin assembling it.

The audible mechanical clicks and snaps of the AR-15 being assembled becomes the soundtrack to the ad, as Kander methodically puts together the rifle, his blindfolded gaze still fixated on the camera, his hands confidently finding and securing the hinges of the gun.

Comments

RCP has the race with Blount ahead by 3.4%:

www.realclearpolitics.com

This is a terrific ad. No Democrat has ever refuted the gun grabber accusation better.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-20 01:48 PM | Reply

Wow!

Nicely done.

Semper Fi

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-09-20 01:58 PM | Reply

Love it.

#3 | Posted by cbob at 2016-09-20 02:03 PM | Reply

Good one!

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2016-09-20 02:08 PM | Reply

Trump could do that with his tiny hands tied behind his back.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2016-09-20 02:10 PM | Reply

Semper Fi

#2 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2016-09-20 01:58 PM

I agree that its a great ad, but Kander was an Army vet, not a Marine, so Hooah would be more appropriate.

Just sayin.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-09-20 02:17 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY RCADE

Personally, I like my Democrats to take a hard-line view on guns and not try to cozy up to both sides.

#7 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2016-09-20 03:04 PM | Reply

Good ad. Really puts these chickenhawks to shame. They act all tough and macho about guns and belittle any reasonable person who is not as faux gung ho as they are. This ad should serve as a blueprint as it perfectly lays out the hypocrisy and lack of integrity of these over-the-top gun-nut politicians.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-09-20 03:31 PM | Reply

"but Kander was an Army vet, not a Marine"

Yeah, I noticed how slow he was so he had to be Army but I give him kudos anyway.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-09-20 07:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I noticed that too, but it is an AR-15.

I was cleaning my Manurhin PPK the other day and was talking to my wife, my son was watching me and was blown away that I never once looked at it while I put it back together...old habits die hard.

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-09-20 07:47 PM | Reply

He put back in modular parts designed to be removed in seconds, in a carbine designed so that the absolute dumbest person in the Army can do the same thing in pitch black conditions.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2016-09-21 08:55 AM | Reply

So because he can a assemble a rifle blind folded, his views favorable to increased government intrusion must be correct. Hard to refute that logic.

#12 | Posted by visitor_ at 2016-09-21 09:17 AM | Reply

#12, yeah to you, you consider anything to limit the number of crazies with guns as "intrusion," to be 'logic.'

Logical people call your definition of 'logic,' "insanity." Literally, it is insanity to keep doing nothing and expecting mass shootings to decline...or do you not want mass shootings to decline?

Reasonable background checks and assault weapons bans is a very, very logical compromise.

but that would be nuts in your world, huh?

Thanks for being part of the problem.

#13 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-09-21 10:58 AM | Reply

I could validly use exactly the same argument. Nearly every time one of these shootings occur, multiple gun laws are found to have been broken. Criminals, the insane, and the criminally insane don't care about laws. If I found someone equally skilled at rifle assembly with the opposite opinion, would that invalidate Mr. Kander?

#14 | Posted by visitor_ at 2016-09-21 02:43 PM | Reply

...or do you not want mass shootings to decline?

Find the cost of freedom
Buried in the ground
Mother Earth will swallow you
Lay your bodies down

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2016-09-21 02:54 PM | Reply

and I can point to the overwhelming amount of data that shows that countries with moderate gun control regulations have a significantly lower number of gun crimes, we are such an outlier for the civilized world.

#16 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-09-21 04:35 PM | Reply

Great ad! If his political opponent for Senate does not have a history of service to his nation, it will be difficult for him to craft a direct rebuttal to this well crafted campaign advertisement.

It certainly takes a different "type" of Democrat candidate to win in Missouri, than to win a state such as Vermont.
IMO, it is within those nuanced political differences, influenced by geography and local history, which makes our political system so fascinating to observe.

#17 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2016-09-21 04:42 PM | Reply

So laws won't stop the shootings, which is why people look at ways to make it harder for wannabe criminals to get a gun to shoot in the first place.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-21 04:43 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter

So what...
I was playing with my Rubix Cube the other day and was talking to my wife, my son was watching me and was blown away that I never once looked at it while I got all the sides the same color...old habits die hard.

#19 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-09-22 10:55 AM | Reply

#14 | Posted by visitor_

He was talking about back ground checks to make it harder for terrorists to get guns. This either you didn't pay attention or are lying, which is it?

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2016-09-22 10:57 AM | Reply

My state does not have private sale background checks. California and Oregon do, both states have decided to implement background checks in a way to generate revenue for themselves and licensed gun dealers. Private sale background checks will not decrease terrorism or increase safety in proportion to their cost and inconvenience. This ad is a non sequitur.

#21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2016-09-22 02:31 PM | Reply

So what...
#19 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS AT 2016-09-22 10:55 AM

I bet you play a lot of Hacky Sack as well...

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2016-09-22 02:55 PM | Reply

#22 Oh don't get all bent, that was a first class, A+ retort. Just give credit where credit is due.

#23 | Posted by bocaink at 2016-09-23 06:01 AM | Reply