Saturday, September 17, 2016

Donald Trump Jr. has no idea who Pepe the Frog is, he remarked Friday, as he also defended himself for making a reference to a "gas chamber" in a radio interview earlier this week. "I've never even heard of Pepe the Frog. I mean, bet you 90 percent of your viewers have never heard of Pepe the Frog," Trump Jr. told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, adding, "I thought it was a frog in a wig. I thought it was funny. I had no idea there was any connotation there." Pepe the Frog is a symbol of the racist alt right that is popular online and is often used in anti-Semitic images.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Comments

Oh, no problem. Ignorance is always an excuse for Presidential Campaign surrogates.

Right?

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2016-09-17 04:40 PM | Reply

All presidential campaign surrogates should have a working knowledge of every Internet meme, including every spin off. (don't forget glad Pepe, sad Pepe, smug Pepe, weird Pepe, so on and so forth)

Right?

#2 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-17 06:06 PM | Reply

I google Pepe the frog to see when it was firat considered racist. It was only racist after Trump supporters used it. If they used a chicken I guess that is also racist.

Can anyone link me to anything dated pre 2015 indicating this was a racist symbol widely used?

#3 | Posted by nole74 at 2016-09-17 06:22 PM | Reply

Pepe the Frog. WTF is that and why should anyone not involved in that group know anything about it?
And who says raciest are on the right. The ones I know are all democrats. All the black raciest are democrats also. The racist pro Palestine movement is mostly all democrat,

#4 | Posted by tmaster at 2016-09-17 07:29 PM | Reply

I've never heard of Pepe.

Where are some alt-right websites? All the really far out conspiracy sites I can find are full of antisemitism and Russian agitprop, not Pepe.

Is this just an instagram thing?

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 07:43 PM | Reply

What in the hell is Pepe the frog? I haven't Googled it, or ever ran across it.

#6 | Posted by willowby at 2016-09-17 08:02 PM | Reply

If you use Twitter as much as the Trumps use Twitter, you know who Pepe the Frog is.

Trump Jr. is playing dumb here. I know he's good at it, but let's get serious.

The retweet of Pepe is another dog whistle to the racists.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 08:08 PM | Reply

Where are some alt-right websites?

Twitter, AmRen, Vdare, Breitbart News, Drudge Report.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 08:08 PM | Reply

It was only racist after Trump supporters used it.

It was racist when the alt right adopted it and began putting Pepe in racist cartoons.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 08:12 PM | Reply

Don't go to the first three, never found Pepe on the last two. I'll check AmRen and Vdare out. I refuse to twitter.

Wish me luck!

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:15 PM | Reply

I've been told I'm racist and deplorable. I honestly have never heard of Pepe. Does this mean I lose my deplorable status?

#11 | Posted by patron at 2016-09-17 08:20 PM | Reply

Wow! Vdare is fascinating!

Is angry Muslim Khizr Khan deplorable? "racist, sexist, homophobic, and xenophobic" are normal in Pakistan.
By Ann Coulter on September 14, 2016, 5:59 pm
Ann Coulter: Could Hillary Tell Us What Percentage Of Muslims Are ‘Deplorable'?

Thanks, Rcade. This will take many hours of excemeditation....

I'm so going to read the article about Disney's Mulan. I'll bet twenty bucks it's antisemitic.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:22 PM | Reply

^^^ excremeditation.

#13 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:24 PM | Reply

"Wow! Vdare is fascinating!"

Never heard of it or Pepe the Frog. But then I'm not some young hipster who feels the need to be informed about every goofy internet meme.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-09-17 08:34 PM | Reply

OK, I found one article about Pepe, but it's a cut and paste from the Economist. About Pepe. Still no meme.

Maybe it's in the comments on the other stories.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:41 PM | Reply

You don't have to do outside research.

Rachel Maddow's video above shows video of alt right leaders talking about why Pepe is their symbol and what purpose it serves.

#16 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 08:46 PM | Reply

So it is in the comments. It's are, but it's there. Also:

"Next up: US News features -------- on the cover."

#17 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:47 PM | Reply

^^^ it's rare it seems my 'r' button is sticking. Time for a new keyboard.

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 08:50 PM | Reply

The Mulan article was disappointing. Eddie Murphy was the dragon?

Now to check out AmRen. I'm betting that's short for American Renaissance.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 09:00 PM | Reply

... Holy Jesus. It does.

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 09:02 PM | Reply

What about teenage mutant Ninja Turtles?

There's all kinds of discrimination going on there.

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-17 09:04 PM | Reply

Can't find Pepe on AmRen. Gonna look harder....

#22 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 09:18 PM | Reply

Does this year's DNC team have any memes? The Green Party's meme and mascot image is a pot leaf, thanks to Jill's frequent endorsement of dank homeopathic herbs.

#23 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-17 09:21 PM | Reply

Lol, a bunch of sensitives who've never heard of Pepe before pretending to be outraged by Pepe's appearance in an obscure meme and a "campaign surrogate's" lack of knowledge about it.

#24 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-17 09:21 PM | Reply

For the record, I am completely and utterly triggered by this Pepe Frog Fiasco. I was previously unaware of the existence of this cartoon frog, but let me tell you, I now have come to the conclusion that all frogs are likely racist.

#25 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-17 09:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Heliumrat - also try google (you can copy/paste the string below):

pepe site:4chan.org

#26 | Posted by YAV at 2016-09-17 09:24 PM | Reply

I've never heard of "Pepe" either. But I don't travel in that social circle. However, now that I have, I think it's much more user friendly than the swastika.

Now I understand the method to their madness.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac at 2016-09-17 09:27 PM | Reply

Pepe as a racist symbol happened because racists love gimmicks to get young white males to join them. They want to be part of the social media youth culture so they appropriated this viral frog.

When I was a teen using BBSes in the 1980s, one of the first ones in Dallas was set up by Stormfront. They thought they could use it to expose kids like me to their ugly racist swill. Their propaganda wasn't getting into our homes any other way.

Didn't work on me or anybody I knew.

#28 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 09:42 PM | Reply

"The Green Party's meme and mascot image is a pot leaf, thanks to Jill's frequent endorsement of dank homeopathic herbs."

Forget about that homeopathic BS. Calif is producing the most dank herb in the U.S. and is less than 2 months away from full legalization. Once Cali legalizes, the war on cannabis is over.

#29 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-09-17 09:42 PM | Reply

OK, Rcade, I got to cal you out. As fun to read as those sites where, I saw only one Pepe cartoon in all the comments I read. That's right: one.

How was Trump Jr. supposed to know who Pepe was?

One guy wrote he that he thought he was a cartoon animal in a wig that smoked dope.

I find Pepe to be incredibly obscure.

On the other hand, did you know that parenting has no impact on a child's psychological development and criminal behavior? I thought that article had to be a joke.

The Long Shadow of the Nurture Assumption

www.amren.com

#30 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 09:44 PM | Reply

Never heard of Pepe, but always liked the Frito Bandito and 'Mamma Mia that's a spicy meatball!'; so does that count? The only Frog I remember was years ago there was a 'sick' funny' frog in a blender.

#31 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-09-17 09:46 PM | Reply

And Pepe is a dank meme.

A bunch of old Clinton stooges are going to Google "dank meme," pretend to know what it means, and pretend to be offended by it.

#32 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-17 09:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This whole thing is hilarious. You have many who would normally be considered at least somewhat intelligent whining about a cartoon. Their whole basis is that of circular logic, it's racist to use it because racists use it and so using it makes a racist.
Yup sounds legit, oh, they also have the damping article where a lot of 19yo anonymous kid who claims to be a supremacist says there is a movement to take it for themselves. Him and 20 to 30 people. Yup that there is damning evidence. Back in the real world we can thank you all for the laughs.

#33 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-17 09:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It would however be hilarious for someone to put out supremacist memes using a picture of Hillary and see the same people who whine about pepe suddenly deciding that if some people use somthing it does not make that thing theirs. Maybe not supremacist, we don't need more. Let's go flat earth. Hillary flat each memes, Hillary will be forced to become a flat earth symbol. Any anyone who uses a picture of her becomes a flat earthen.

#34 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-17 09:54 PM | Reply

#33, 34 Dude, I didn't know you drank. Well, it's Saturday. Bottom's up!

#35 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-17 09:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

... it's racist to use it because racists use it ...

That's not circular logic. It's actual logic. It's the same principle that makes the swastika racist.

The video isn't a 19-year-old kid. It's from this press conference led by AmRen and VDare racists:

nymag.com

#36 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-17 09:57 PM | Reply

I wonder If supremacists ever use jiffy peanut butter. Damn racist peanut butter.

#38 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-17 10:05 PM | Reply

Let's not forget that Hillary also got involved and called that anonymous 19yo kid a prominent supremacist on her website. A blatant lie or she must know who he is, boom guilt by association. You guys will surely jump all over her for her lie or racism right?

Right?

Right?

#39 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-17 10:07 PM | Reply

--AmRen and VDare racists:

Never heard of those people before today, and if I haven't, that means that 99.99 percent of registered voters haven't either.

#41 | Posted by nullifidian at 2016-09-17 10:28 PM | Reply

He tweeted it. He knows what it is or should have.

End of story.

#47 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-18 12:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#47 He thought it was a cartoon frog in a wig. Who would have guessed? End of story.

#48 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-18 12:54 AM | Reply

He tweeted it. He knows what it is or should have.

End of story.

#47 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-18 12:45 AM

He knew what it was: a funny frog in a wig.

Pepe has been around since 2008, long before any supposed use by white supremacists. For Pete's sake! If they all start drinking Pepsi does that start making anyone that drinks Pepsi a white supremacist? The very fact that anyone tries to use this sad excuse for reasoning on Pepe the Frog memes only speaks to how intellectually lazy they are, or how stupid they think everyone else is.

#49 | Posted by moomanfl at 2016-09-18 01:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Many racists use twitter, as do non racists. Many racists may use a frog, as do many many non racists. Go to reddit and I quickly found hundreds of Pepe frog cartoons easily and only 1 appeared to have any racist message and even that was debatable in that is was anti BLM but not anti blacks. Most were just jokes and had no message at all.

Should we all stop using any photos of frogs? How about using twitter..is using Twitter racist since some % of the use is certainly by racist or pedophiles?

This is silly but desperate times call fro desperate measures and the politics of division.

#50 | Posted by nole74 at 2016-09-18 01:46 AM | Reply

#48 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2016-09-18 12:54 AM | FLAG:

With Google you don't have to guess. So there goes that one.

When it's your face and the few others who plan to run the free world, you start to ask who's joining. So there goes that one.

When your pappy is running for potus and you're speaking for him as part of his campaign then you say what you want to say.

So end of story

#51 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-18 02:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump has made racism cool again. He's even using the playbook written by David Lane to coach all the aspiring racists to their goal.

If you're going to be that, then I'm going to start calling you boys on it.

#52 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-18 02:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Before this you would not have found any connection to supremacists. Read the dates of the articles, the daily beast had the only one that predated it and when you read that you assume it is satire. Of course you would also have to know the name pepe the frog which only a tiny fraction of people would know.

The fact is, this is all a dishonest fabrication from those who consider anyone who does not follow their garbage lockstep either racist or damn racists.
It's disgusting and moreso that anyone with any weight would ever pick this up.

This is no different then whack jobs claiming triangle illuminati because on the angle someone heald their arm at in a picture.

It should be laughed at, like flat earthers, those who belive some are reptilian and Chem trail kooks.

#53 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-18 02:47 AM | Reply

First thing that popped into my head upon seeing the picture: "Why is there a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle standing with a group of people dressed like Nazi Stormtroopers?"

#54 | Posted by madscientist at 2016-09-18 02:58 AM | Reply

Never seen the expendable?

It's a lot of fun.

#55 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-18 03:04 AM | Reply

Expendables.

#56 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-18 03:04 AM | Reply

It's funny seeing where crazy people draw the line at what's crazy.
Institutional racism doesn't exist, and global warming is a hoax, money doesn't buy access in politics... but the earth is round.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2016-09-18 03:06 AM | Reply

If someone drew a picture of you with some odd character and you were going up for a big job, would you tweet out the picture not knowing what it was? At all?

Stupid trying to blow this off. Nobody's fooled.

#58 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2016-09-18 03:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#58 Um, that's pretty funny. He probably didn't give a second thought to the frog in the wig.

#59 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2016-09-18 03:26 AM | Reply

The people who claim they know Pepe the frog is some white supremacist icon may be exposing their racism. I showed a picture of Pepe to dozens of people. Some, like myself, had seen the image on the internet. None knew it connected to the white supremacy movement.

Apparently you have to frequent white supremacy web sites to know that it's a "well-known symbol of the white supremacist movement,"

#60 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2016-09-18 08:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

He probably didn't give a second thought to the frog in the wig.

Are you serious? Then that's a huge problem. Either he knew why the "cartoon frog" was there, when no other cartoon characters were present, and he knew the specific meme on 4chan with the alt-right folks there (which if you read stormfront is hilarious, because they're quite aware of this and laughing at the 'alt-right' because 'they allow homosexuals'), or you put out a poster with a silly looking cartoon character without asking "what's that about?"

A "second thought" should have been given, ferchristssakes!

#61 | Posted by YAV at 2016-09-18 09:09 AM | Reply

#60 - that's pretty much the entire point of using it. Duh.

#62 | Posted by YAV at 2016-09-18 09:11 AM | Reply

Having saying that, I think the Pepe thing is over-blown. Pepe gets used for lots of things. All I know for sure is Pepe's creator, Furie thinks that it will pass:

"It's just a phase, it's not the first time Pepe has been reclaimed for evil, and no one will care about it come November. I predict that his sly, lovable, and charming status will be intact as early as next week."

www.dailydot.com

#63 | Posted by YAV at 2016-09-18 09:30 AM | Reply

Or we're just more informed about the news than a lot of the people here making excuses for Trump Jr.'s Instagram post.

The use of Pepe the Frog by racists has been known to anyone who is familiar with the alt right and their attempt to mainstream white nationalism in the Republican Party.

You don't have to belong to the alt right to see alt right messaging, unfortunately. It's all over the place.

If I was a Republican or conservative I'd be angry that my party was being hijacked for the purpose of spreading white nationalism. I wouldn't be laughing it off.

#64 | Posted by rcade at 2016-09-18 09:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Never heard of Pepe the Frog." Ok, maybe he is not up to his hips in millennial self indulgent foolishness. The most history ignorant generation in history makes fun of people who do not keep up with their nonsense and fellow travelers. Wow! Big story.

#65 | Posted by Verneoz at 2016-09-18 10:17 AM | Reply

Russia..boo
Frog...boo

Scary huh?

#67 | Posted by nole74 at 2016-09-18 11:26 AM | Reply

You are not alone, I'd bet none of these loons making a stink out of this knew who he was. If they did they would not fall for the dishonest attempt to make it magically a racist thing after the fact.

Many probably have seen on on Facebook or Twitter when has been used by Hollywood stars or even by children. Notice how they are not jumping to call katy perry racist.
But that would require consistency and honesty, somthing that is non existent in those who pretend like this is somthing.

Any reasonable person would have no problem seeing that just because a tiny group might want it to mean somthing does not change the meaning any more than a picture of Hillary with a flat earthers slogan makes her a flat earther. It's absurd and I have to belive they all know it and are just hoping others are too stupid to know the truth or look into it themselves. After all have you noticed than virtually none of the articles actually show it? Cause they know the visual would be enough to prove them wrong.

It's just another measure. You post crap like it's a supremacist icon and we all know you are full of it.

#68 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-18 01:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

doesn't matter... point is you retweeted a white supremacist's artwork.

you deserve to be twisting in your panties.

#69 | Posted by klifferd at 2016-09-18 05:40 PM | Reply

"you deserve to be twisting in your panties."

I don't is twisting in their panties. Just laughing at how silly the left looks jumping through all kinds of hoops over faux allegations racism.

#70 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2016-09-18 07:04 PM | Reply

One more blank out of the Trumpfelzapagun

#71 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2016-09-18 07:42 PM | Reply

joecartoon.com

#72 | Posted by MSgt at 2016-09-18 11:37 PM | Reply

I had no idea nazis were into Pepe.

Ok, I guess.

They better stay away from Dat Boi though.

#73 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2016-09-19 06:15 AM | Reply

I haven't ever heard of Pepe...so I used the magic Google machine. See if you can figure out what word is missing from the Wikipedia entry:

Pepe the Frog is an Internet meme originating from a comic drawing by Matt Furie. Its popularity steadily grew across Myspace, Gaia Online and 4chan in 2008, becoming one of the most popular memes used on Tumblr in 2015.

Pepe is often portrayed as a green anthropomorphic frog, having a frog-like face and a humanoid body. The meme's original use has evolved over time and has many variants, which include Sad frog, Smug frog, Feels frog, and "You will never..." frog.

History

Pepe the Frog was created by American artist Matt Furie. The meme came from his comic, Boy's Club #1. The foundation of Boy's Club was a zine that he made on Microsoft Paint called Playtime.[3] He posted his comic in a series of blog posts on Myspace in 2005. In the comic, Pepe was found urinating with his pants pulled down to his ankles and the catchphrase, "Feels good man" was his rationale. He took those posts down when the printed edition was published in 2006.

Pepe was used in blog posts on Myspace and became an in-joke on Gaia Online. In 2008, the page containing Pepe and the catchphrase was scanned and uploaded to 4chan's /b/ board, which was described by Motherboard as his "permanent home". It took off among 4chan users, who adapted Pepe's face and the catchphrase to fit different scenarios and emotions, such as melancholy, anger, and surprise. Color was also added, originally a black and white line drawing, Pepe became green with brown lips, sometimes in a blue shirt. "Feels Guy", or "Wojak", originally an unrelated character typically used to express melancholy, was eventually often paired with Pepe in user-made comics or images.

Around 2015, as Pepe's usage was increasing, a phenomenon began on 4chan where users would declare certain variants as rare, known as a "rare Pepe". These images, sometimes as physical paintings were put up for sale and auction on eBay and posted in listings on Craigslist. 4chan users referred to those who used the meme outside of the website as "normies" in response to the meme's increase in usage. That year Pepe was #6 on Daily News and Analysis' list of the most important memes and was the most used meme on Tumblr.

During the 2016 United States presidential election, Pepe became associated with Donald Trump's campaign, and the campaign website for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton released an article stating that Pepe was associated with white nationalism.

Notable uses
Katy Perry once tweeted a Pepe to illustrate her jet lag. OMG, KATY IS RACIST
Nicki Minaj posted a twerking Pepe representing her on Instagram. OMG, NICKI IS RACIST! Wait....
When the New Zealand government was accepting proposals for a new national flag, a design with Pepe was submitted.
Donald Trump retweeted a Pepe representation of himself that was associated with a video, "You Can't Stump the Trump (Volume 4)".
On August 25, 2016, a self-identified member of the alt-right movement yelled "Pepe" when Hillary Clinton mentioned the alt-right movement during a speech in Reno, Nevada.

#74 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2016-09-19 09:00 AM | Reply

He's totally a racist for unknowingly tweeting a racist symbol that he didn't know was racist because he's not a racist.

#75 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-19 10:18 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Anyone else get triggered when people assume you're a male but you obviously identify as a Boi???

#76 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2016-09-19 03:21 PM | Reply

Wow. For once I believe Donnie Jr. Who the hell is pepe the frog?

#77 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-09-19 03:24 PM | Reply

Oh come on, that's not the first or the 1000th time someone in the Trump family has lied this campaign.

#78 | Posted by e1g1 at 2016-09-19 03:35 PM | Reply

Wow. For once I believe Donnie Jr. Who the hell is pepe the frog?

#77 | Posted by moder8 at 2016-09-19 03:24 PM | Reply | Flag:

I read Mustang's entire post and I stil had no idea what it is supposed to mean.

Then I Googled "Is Pepe the Frog racist?". As far as i can tell, its just a cartoon frog and there is no inherently racist origin. Different people have used the frog to convey different things and some of those people are racist.

Imagine that a neo-Nazi website posted some pictures of Spongebob doing Nazi stuff. And then people started claiming that Spongebob is a racist symbol as a result. That would be just as legitimate as claiming this frog is, in and of itsef, a racist symbol.

#79 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-19 04:12 PM | Reply

Rachel Maddow Gives Master Class on Pepe The Frog And Donald Trump's Alt (Racist) Right Support

www.youtube.com

#80 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:28 PM | Reply

The alt right speaker in the above video says they are using the Pepe meme for their own purposes, i.e., this is a meme they have chosen to use, not a meme that has been inflicted upon them. For them it is a subversive symbol because they can use it in plain sight and only people in the alt right know will get it.

#81 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:32 PM | Reply

Wow. For once I believe Donnie Jr. Who the hell is pepe the frog?

See my previous posts. Is this the same Trump son who claimed he accidently appeared on a white supremacist's radio show?

Yes, this is true. The cartoon is not racist in origin. It has been usurped by the alt right for their own coded purposes.

#82 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:37 PM | Reply

"The alt right speaker in the above video says..."
#81 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Tell us Gal, when did the term "alt-right" enter your vocabulary? be honest now.

Also, when did it first come to your attention that this cartoon frog was a racist symbol?

Please give us the backstory and sources for this knowledge you possess.

#83 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-19 04:40 PM | Reply

"Rachel Maddow Gives Master Class on Pepe The Frog"

and if Pepe had showed up on anything remotely supportive of Hillary, she would merely ask "Who the hell is Pepe?" and move on.

#84 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-19 04:42 PM | Reply

In addition to the Pepe meme, the alt right speaker in the Maddow video mentions the parenthesis meme. Never heard of that before either, but I guess it's a real thing. A bunch of articles on the subject. Here's one example:

"An alt-right article or tweet, for example, might refer to this as a (((Vox))) explainer written by Matt (((Yglesias))) to signify that its author is Jewish despite a not-very-Jewish name and that Vox, like many American media establishments, features a number of Jewish writers and editors that is disproportionately high relative to Jews' presence in the overall American population."

www.vox.com

#85 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:45 PM | Reply

"Gal is obviously repeating propaganda that's been fed to her, like the rest of Hillary's cult."

I'm repeating what alt right guy said in the video. If you don't like the meme, take it up with him.

#86 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:48 PM | Reply

Basically, Hillary is such an impossible turd to polish that this is how some of the people tasked with selling her choose to go about it.

#87 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-19 04:52 PM | Reply

The Racist Alt-Right Dictionary: 7 Terms You Need to Know to Understand Trump's Most Hateful Supporters

The old white supremacist fringe is rebranding itself with its own special code, and claims Trump as its "glorious leader."

www.alternet.org

#88 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:52 PM | Reply

You kid yourself if you think had Bernie had been the Democratic nominee none of this would be happening.

#89 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 04:55 PM | Reply

Oh, look, there's Pepe and Bernie on Breitbart at the end of July:

"Alt-Right Created Hashtag ‘Bernie Must Disavow' Trends Globally Amid DNC Leak Chaos"

www.breitbart.com

#90 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 05:00 PM | Reply

your point?

#91 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-19 05:02 PM | Reply

Only that the Pepe meme was featured on Breitbart at the end of July (with Bernie). Did Hillary make them do that?

#92 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 05:08 PM | Reply

What does the alt-right believe?

There's no alt-right manifesto, no one definitive screed buried deep in the conservative internet imploring straight white men to seize the means of production. Beyond figureheads like Donald Trump, the alt-right doesn't even have electoral leaders.

Instead, it's bound together by common enemies: Women, minorities, immigrants and national institutions that, by their worldview, threaten the freedom of white men with the toxic sword of political correctness.

In its eyes, the straight white man is actually the victim, the ultimate oppressed class in Western society. It believes the world is actually run by women who use sex and victimhood to gain influence, minorities who live fat off the tax dollars of white people, a corrupt media that advances a poisonous progressive agenda and wealthy Jews who control everything from the shadows.

Alt-righters call waking up to this inconvenient truth "red pilling." Visiting an online hub for the alt-right and asking to be "red pilled" on some particular subject is, in essence, requesting that someone initiate you into their conspiracy theory.

mic.com

#93 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 05:11 PM | Reply

My gawd Gal. When did all this "alt-right" information come to your attention?

Let me guess...exactly 2 weeks ago?

#94 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2016-09-19 05:25 PM | Reply

"Did Hillary make them do that?"

did they accuse someone of being a racist with that Pepe thing on Sanders?

It was Pepe, for christs sakes.....it's a racist symbol....well, some of the time.

#95 | Posted by eberly at 2016-09-19 05:27 PM | Reply

#90 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 05:00 PM | Reply | Flag:

But where is the racism? I saw the frog in a non-racial contenxt. I saw some reporting on a Twitter trend where a diverse group of people was saying Bernie should disavow Hillary because he was cheated. And I saw baseless assertions that the whole thing was attributable to tha "alt right". Seems like total BS to me. Jill Stein is "alt right" now?

Is it racist to think that Bernie should not support a party that conspired to cheat him?

This is absurd. You can't just label anything you don't like as an "alt right racist conspiracy". Well you can, but hell if I'm getting on board...

#96 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-19 05:33 PM | Reply

Hillary even hired DWS immediately after she was forced to stepped down for conspiring against Bernie.

Clinton didn't even try to pretend she didn't approve of the cheating. She mind as well have spit in Bernie's face.

But its "racist" or whatever to think that just maybe Bernie shouldn't have taken it lying down? This is lunacy.

#97 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-19 05:35 PM | Reply

Who said the Breibart article was racist? No one. What was subversive was putting Pepe in the photograph with Bernie. I'm sure the alt right got a big laugh out of that. Was it racist? Yes, but only if you are in on the joke. What's overtly racist about putting parentheses around someone's name? Nothing, and that's the point. Like I said, it's a way of hiding in plain sight and still communicating to those who understand the code.

#98 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 06:53 PM | Reply

But where is the racism? I saw the frog in a non-racial contenxt.

That's what you saw because you weren't in on the inside joke. If someone tweeted out (((Bernie Sanders)), would you think that was racist? I doubt it, but people in the alt right would understand the message that was being sent.

#99 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2016-09-19 06:56 PM | Reply

What does the (((username/words))) connote? In a casual browse of Tweeter I've seen people who appear to represent the whole spectrum of political views co-opt that use of symbols.

#100 | Posted by ReformedNeocon at 2016-09-19 09:23 PM | Reply

100

It is used by anti semites. It's to note when someone or something source is Jewish.

But unlike pepe, it was created for use as such not just co opted by a tiny group. That one is fair to call someone out on, pepe has no racist connotation for the vast majority of users, the creator and reasonable people.

#101 | Posted by salamandagator at 2016-09-20 12:25 AM | Reply

It's the Bahgdad Bob "There are no tanks here" defense!

#102 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2016-09-20 04:04 PM | Reply