Friday, September 16, 2016

In an election season dominated by Donald Trump, Muslims haven't always been made to feel welcome in America. Meanwhile sales of halal food, prepared according to Islamic law, are surging -- and not just among the fast-growing U.S. Muslim population: Adventurous millennial foodies are embracing it too. Shahed Amanullah could only find about 200 places that served halal food in 1998, when he launched a website to help Americans find it. Today, he's tracking 7,600, and he says halal is making inroads even among people who are wary of Muslims. Overall, from restaurants to supermarkets, halal sales are projected at $20 billion this year, up by one-third since 2010.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Amanullah said his "where-to-find-it" website is often used in such circles as a "who-to-boycott" guide -- though he said such efforts typically backfire and end up helping his business.

Muslims will surpass Jews as the largest non-Christian religious group in the U.S., according to Pew Research Center and halal food could eventually be like kosher, which is identified as fresher, more virtuous food.

Comments

5 little hot dogs frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and one went bam
4 little hot dogs frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and one went bam,
3 little hot dogs frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and one went bam,
2 little hot dogs frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and one went bam,
1 little hot dog frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and one went bam,
No little hot dogs frying in a pan,
The grease got hot and the pan went bam.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-16 07:39 AM | Reply

Our city had one place, not sure if it was halal or not, but their sign had a big star and crescent on it. They had delicious nihari, only place I knew of that served it, but unfortunately they have gone ---- up.

#2 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-16 08:24 AM | Reply

www.youtube.com

Dammit... why did you remind me.. I would do anything for a steaming hot plate of nihari right now.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-16 08:46 AM | Reply

Donald Trump would outlaw Halal foods. It's terrorist food. Would there be terrorists if there were no Halal foods? Some people think not.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2016-09-16 08:57 AM | Reply

Reminds me that I have been meaning to grab a falafel from the truck on 54th and Madison all week.

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2016-09-16 09:49 AM | Reply

I went to a Halal restaurant recently. A coworker tried to get me to try the Twice Loved Goat but I was not so adventurous.

#6 | Posted by Sully at 2016-09-16 10:11 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2016-09-16 09:49 AM
Falafel pita sandwich with hummus, cucumber salad, and lots of hot pepper mint chutney is probably the only vegetarian dish I'll eat as a main course.

Man, lunch time can't get here soon enough.

#7 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-16 10:16 AM | Reply

Someone sounds pissed the Bills suck (again) this year.

#9 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-09-16 10:48 AM | Reply

Up near my mom's house there is a farm that has sheep grazing all over the place. Last weekend I drove by and saw a bunch of Muslims there taking them away for their holiday. The sheep they were taking appeared to be less than a year old so the meat from them must taste pretty damn good when they get through slaughtering them.

#10 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2016-09-16 10:52 AM | Reply

Lamb kafta is the best.

Dont knock it if you havent tried it ME food is great and most establishments around here know how to to do it right. Hopefully One day the pig will be clean enough and be on menus too!

My persian atheist iranian boss taught me all about this food and i am gratful for that....he always mentioned that halal and kosher is ancient bullcaca though! And you shoulxd hear his opinion on religions. But i digress.

Here in detroit middle eastern food is so prevalent that you actually have mexicans cooking for some of the eateries. I don't care if they are illegal aliens just as long as they heed that sign after using the bathroom.

#11 | Posted by mutant at 2016-09-16 07:05 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY PUMPKINHEAD

My ex used to raise goats. The evildoers would pay $100 for a male kid and slaughter it on the spot. Easymoney for something we had no use for.

#12 | Posted by northguy3 at 2016-09-16 09:34 PM | Reply

Don't know if I've ever even tried it.

1. Indian
2. Thai
3. Grilled steak/fish
4. Sushi
5. Italian/Mediterranean
6. Mexican
7. Chinese
8. Humus???

#13 | Posted by nutcase at 2016-09-17 07:12 AM | Reply

Don't know if I've ever even tried it.

You have.

Seafood is halal. Vegetarian eating is also automatically halal (unless you've mixed weed into your cookie dough).

Halal is not a set of recipes, if that is the confusion... Halal simply means:

1. Drain the blood out of the kill by slitting it's throat. Most important point of all. This also changes the taste of the meat.

2. Make sure you eat an animal that was itself a grass or plant eater. Carnivores are a no-no.

3. Even with seafood (seafood is automatically halal in 99% of cases), do not eat a shark (apex predator) or a bottom feeder that lives on poop (lobster).

The food recipe itself can be anything on earth. Like there is halal steak and non-halal steak.

4. DO NOT... EVER!.. kill the animal in front of other animals. That will change the taste of the meat of the other animals (the Chinese and Koreans often beat up a dog before they eat it).. yes the fear response produces adrenaline and stuff that you can taste. It is also cruel and sadistic.

5. However... under survival situations... the Koran sez even pork, snakes, lizards, alligators, etc... are all halal.

#14 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 07:47 AM | Reply

And if you want to be totally halal, just go vegetarian. And eat fish like 3 times a week.

Eating vegetarian alone is not great for building muscle mass.

And being a Vegan will turn you into a sanctimonious bas---d.

#15 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 07:51 AM | Reply

The few times I have tried middle eastern food I have not enjoyed it. However I have never been to an actual middle eastern restaurant so it could be the chef (my wife or I) not the food.

Maybe I should try a restaurant with chef's trained to cook it before I judge. It looks like around here Pakistani or Lebanese are the only options. Any suggestions? Also note we are vegetarians so goat, lamb etc. is off the table. I would love to find a couple dishes I liked then perfect cooking them. It would be a nice variety to our menu at home which is getting a bit old.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-09-17 08:14 AM | Reply

Oh and before I forget... locusts, grasshoppers, crickets are halal. The future of this planet depends on us eating less beef and more insects. Fortunately, the Koran is cool with that.

And please do not eat dolphin and whale. We are neither desperate nor are we ------ or Japanese.

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 08:14 AM | Reply

It looks like around here Pakistani or Lebanese

I know a Pakistani girl who came here for 2 weeks....

She said all the Pakistani/Indian food here was like poo. Not authentic.

#18 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 08:17 AM | Reply

Any suggestions?

Go to YouTube and cook your own. If Pakistani, try anything with Basmati Rice.

Texas rice (Texmati) is identical. Have it with lentil curry.

Don't use any other kind of rice.. it won't be the same.

#19 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 08:20 AM | Reply

Try this... this Pakistani lady like saved my life more than once.

www.youtube.com

#20 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 08:30 AM | Reply

I have not had good luck with curry dishes. I'll look into it though maybe an expert showing me how will help. Mostly I find recipes off the internet and follow them but you never know with those.

#21 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-09-17 08:35 AM | Reply

Same here... I use Youtube only. I never follow written recipes. I have to see it being done or I just don't get it.

It works like half the time... I get a great dish out of it. The other half the time, it's either bland or not weird. It has never been "poison" at least. So I more or less trust YouTube.

There are some awesome chefs on there.

Like this guy... since he's Indian, he'll have more veggie food (unlike Pakistanis who are obsessed with eating beef).

www.youtube.com

#22 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 08:44 AM | Reply

This is for you.

I have this exact recipe like at least once a week... white rice (basmati/texmati rice) with lentil soup.

www.youtube.com

The video seems incomplete but not really.. all you have to do is wait for the rice to fluff up. There is no further cooking involved.

The only change I make is, I also add some yogurt to the plate and I add plenty of black pepper on the lentil soup. Black pepper is a cure for kidney stones.

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 09:12 AM | Reply

Thanks Tremain. We home cook at least 6 out of 7 days a week and after time the recipes all get a bit old. It's nice to try something new once in a while.

#24 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2016-09-17 09:41 AM | Reply

Have a go at this too.

www.youtube.com

Same lentil soup/curry but she added carrots also. I pour this over the white rice too sometimes.

Being Asian, I feel sick if I don't have rice at least once a week. I have been having some combination of rice and lentils since I was 5.. for me it doesn't get old.

The biggest problem with Indian/Pakistani recipes is the language... like who the hell knows what they call rice and lentil soup? Once you figure out it's Dal (lentils) and Chawal (rice), you get thousands of hits.

A dictionary would come in handy.

#25 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 09:52 AM | Reply

It's good to be in kansas...cheeseburgers for lunch and bar b q for dinner

#26 | Posted by 1947steamer at 2016-09-17 11:21 AM | Reply

Try something like what posted above in #7. Both Pakistan and Lebanon restaurants should serve it. (not sure if it would be authentic from the ---- place, but who cares?)

---- should have a vegetarian curry of some sort I would imagine.

#27 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2016-09-17 02:06 PM | Reply

---- should have a vegetarian curry of some sort I would imagine.

Spinach and cheese is like their national dish. And it's not hard to make.

www.youtube.com

www.youtube.com
(The show switches to english language after a few minutes)

It's often eaten with corn bread. Or not.

#28 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2016-09-17 10:33 PM | Reply

And here is One-Who-Must-Not-be-Named buying his damn veggie breakfast.

Chickpeas and potatoes mash with crispee fried bread.

www.youtube.com