Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Three Americans detained in North Korea pleaded for U.S. help in interviews with CNN. Kenneth Bae, Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle were presented to CNN's Will Ripley at a Pyongyang hotel Monday. Each was given five minutes for an interview. All three men said they hope the U.S. government will send an envoy to North Korea to help get them out of their situations, similar to how former President Bill Clinton helped secure the release of two journalists in 2009. Bae, who is serving a 15-year prison sentence for "hostile acts to bring down its government," said he is working eight hours a day, six days a week at a labor camp.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

gracieamazed

MORE STORIES

Volunteer to be a hostage. Visit NK.

Comments

Stupid should hurt. Don't go to North Korea.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2014-09-01 05:35 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I stepped into North Korea in Panmunjom (UN Joint Security Area) inside the building where the armistice was negotiated. The border runs down the middle of the table. They warned us not to go near the windows or doors because the NK's had pulled people out. We definitely kept a couple arms length between us and the NK guards who stood guard by the door when we walked over on the NK side!!

i305.photobucket.com

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-09-01 05:54 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 2

i second 2nd part of #1. It is wrong that stupid SHOULD hurt, altho it often does. Stupid IS an innate condition; while ignorance is possible to reduce. But i agree it is foolish to go to NK to convert the oppressed heathens to Christ (or whatever these hostages were doing - some risk the consequences to visit family.)

Not long ago, there was news that China is preparing for the "imminent" collapse (in historical terms) of North Korea. They won't go quietly; they'll cause all the damage possible in their death throes.

#3 | Posted by kenx at 2014-09-01 06:48 PM | Reply | Flag:

NO THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I love to eat WAY to much.

#4 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-09-01 08:13 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

Stupid should hurt. Don't go to North Korea.

#1 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED
N Korea would top the list, I would add ALL the countries in the middle east, most of Africa and Central America as places NOT TO VISIT.

#5 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-09-02 05:40 PM | Reply | Flag:

#3 | Posted by kenx

I'd be interested to read about that. Given the state of the people outside the military and the culture - I would be shocked if there were a collapse.

I do think Gracie has it right on this one though. In this particular case stupid should hurt. It would be the only way for the lesson to be remembered. I don't know why anyone would be so idiotic as to go there or anywhere Americans are in danger. There is nowhere else in the world with such control over the people as NK.

I would quit a job rather than be sent to a destination like NK, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Central Africa, Liberia, etc. Not to mention venture there willingly - at this point in time. There are places you just don't go if you are sane and rational.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2014-09-02 05:45 PM | Reply | Flag:

The headline made me think they were freed on CNN. I thought CNN finally made some news.

#7 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-09-02 05:50 PM | Reply | Flag:

Misleading thread title. I also thought the three men were released.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2014-09-02 06:09 PM | Reply | Flag:

Changed.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2014-09-02 06:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

North Korea is a childish country run by a violent man child.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2014-09-02 09:10 PM | Reply | Flag:

With nukes.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2014-09-02 09:26 PM | Reply | Flag:

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2014-09-03 09:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

I was there too. Since hummingbirds are a symbol of peace, they are flying everywhere. I thought they were bees. You have to be at least six feet tall to be a guard there. We would always comment on how tall the Koreans were since not many Koreans are tall.

#13 | Posted by boaz at 2014-09-03 12:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Going to NK is asking to be jailed and made a pawn for the regime when it wants to extort money from the US. We have lots of laws on the books that are only necessary because a minority of very stupid and selfish people just don't get it. I think it is time to make these trips completely illegal."

I have several expat friends who went on a five day trip to NK last month. They didn't encounter any trouble because they followed the rules and didn't do anything stupid while there.

Can't say I feel sorry for these guys who went there and knowingly broke the laws.

Restricting law-abiding citizens from the right to travel = NOT COOL.

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-09-03 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Restricting law-abiding citizens from the right to travel = NOT COOL.

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2014-09-03 01:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

I get that but NK doesn't really need you to break any laws to arrest you. If they want hostages they will take them.

Putting yourself in a position to be used as a tool against your own country isn't cool either.

Maybe just make it clear that if you go there, you are on your own. If something happens, don't expect any help.

#15 | Posted by Sully at 2014-09-03 01:32 PM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

#13 | Posted by boaz

That was an experience of a lifetime, wasn't it? Were you stationed there or doing a tour of the JSA while stationed elsewhere in SK?

When I played USO shows up there it was called Camp Kitty Hawk. The old Freedom Bridge wasn't longer than 100' or so. Definitely among America's best, biggest, and brightest stationed there, that's for sure.

#16 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2014-09-03 04:07 PM | Reply | Flag: