Saturday, August 30, 2014

American moviegoers sent a clear message to Hollywood over the summer: We are tired of more of the same. The film industry had its worst summer in North America, still the world's No. 1 movie market, since at least 1997. Three exceptions that have been big hits were Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Disney's Malificent and the Scarlett Johannson action flick Lucy.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

Comments

Godzilla wasn't bad.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-30 08:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

Pretty much sums it up. Also doesn't help that theaters gouge the hell out of patrons at the concession stand.

Went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy a couple weeks ago. 13 bucks for tickets (3D version) and as I was walking by I saw a vending machine for bottled water.

4 effing dollars a bottle.

On top of that, it was a so-so movie. Not bad, but not all that great either.

I saw Lucy online and if I'd paid for that at a theater, I'd have been even more disappointed.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2014-08-30 08:47 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hollywood knows well how to influence USA politics, while slyly sending every American a not so subtle bill to cover their exhorbitantly paid "stars" by adding the gross cost of advertising to every consumer product.

#3 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-30 09:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

"We are tired of more of the same."

No kidding. Is there any original thought left out there?

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-30 10:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Godzilla wasn't good.

#5 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-08-30 11:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

Guess that is why we love TCM so much as we get to see many of the originals that have been remade time and time again.

#6 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-08-31 01:06 AM | Reply | Flag:

I think Hollywood has run out of new material.

#7 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-31 01:53 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

We have a 60" flat screen in the basement with full surround sound (as do so many people these days). Most movies are available to stream within a few months of the original release date. Home media centers are taking a big chunk of the theatres business.

#8 | Posted by schmanch at 2014-08-31 09:44 AM | Reply | Flag:

Only 47" here but still plenty big enough for us to gather around and enjoy the movie, some times will pay on Amazon to get it before Netflix has it or RedBox it but 90% of the time movie night is included in Prime or Netflix for just the base 15 a month.

The big screen just doesn't hold the appeal it used to with awesome at home options and mediocre new movies. Hollywood needs to either bring ticket prices down or movie quality up or the trend will keep getting worse.

It also doesn't help that with instant communication with social media a movie isn't even guaranteed a great opening weekend anymore. By Sunday everyone knows it wasn't worth the ticket price.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2014-08-31 10:18 AM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

4 effing dollars a bottle.

On top of that, it was a so-so movie. Not bad, but not all that great either.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla

the concession stand is where the theater makes its money Hollywood takes the ticket sales so I don't mind supporting my local theater, especially since they put in leather recliners as seats

#10 | Posted by truthhurts at 2014-08-31 12:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'd like to see more movies with messages that would inform and incite the public against political corruption, foreign involvement, foolish wars, and a rigged system of high finance.

The movie "Divergent". I guess it offered some sort of message about pigeon holing people into factions. In the movie one is considered dauntless (ie enforcer of law) if he is free and full of life, but only if he blindly follows orders and never challenges authority or thinks for himself. I wouldn't recommend it.

#11 | Posted by robson at 2014-08-31 01:46 PM | Reply | Flag:

#11 | Posted by robson at 2014-08-31 01:46 PM

Downloading now.

My last couple experiences at theaters were horrible - Black teens harassing elderly White couples. I have NO fear of these cretins, but somehow they cow the entire theater and it's become so commonplace that I won't return. Also, the pricing isn't worth the disgusting experience.

#12 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-08-31 03:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

RLR...let me know your opinion.

I haven't gone to a movie theater since 12-2007 when we bought what was at that time a large TV (52 Sony and Yamaha component Dolby system with a sub woofer that is as big as a water heater). I never did like the theater experience with overpriced everything, talkers, chatters, heads in front, kids crying etc.

The straw that broke the camel's back to me was when the owner of a large regional theater chain told me they wouldn't be getting a Michael Moore documentary because he didn't agree with the politics. Hey the family still goes on occasion.

#13 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-31 04:21 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe more people would go to see movies if Hollyweard would put out movies that people actually wanted to see. Hint: most of the movie goers are families, movies are supposed to be cheep entertainment, that Joe six pack can take ma and the kids out for the evening. Most movies are NOT family friendly. "The Notebook" made money, "Anti-Christ" did not. As a mater of fact G and PG movies make more money than R or NC17 most of the time. Face it, smut is only a few key strokes away on any home computer. To compete, it might help if those who made movies did not hold all of us in fly over country in such contempt. Continue in this vein and Texas may start producing movies. The only part of this business that is still in CA is production,(raising the money) and distribution,(marketing the product to theaters. Vancouver BC has more movies filmed in it than LA.

#14 | Posted by docnjo at 2014-08-31 05:04 PM | Reply | Flag:

RLR...let me know your opinion.
#13 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-31 04:21 PM

Your setup sounds a lot like one of my best friends - his sub is a compact refrigerator and the ribbon speakers are extremely accurate at higher frequencies. His collection of Telarc recordings are to show it off. I use a computer and my trusty Sony MDR-V600 headphones (hello 1990's).

They did the same thing in Oregon, so I missed a few independent films critical of BushCo. Yeah, the heads in front is always trouble - because I'm 6'2 I have to shrink down. It's uncomfortable to stay in that position and generally my vision is too poor for large theaters anyhow, so it's a waste of time and money other than being with friends. One of the best experiences I had was a tiny place in San Jose where I watched Quills with a buddy from work. The audience were all my age, quite respectful and the seating was angled adequately for us regular-height folk. Unfortunately, once I returned to Oregon the experience became race-baiting BS that absolutely detracted from the film. Also, who takes children to Kill Bill?!

It's finished, and I'll definitely watch Divergent this evening along with The Butler.

If you are into independent film - Ashens Quest for the Game Child is comprised of YouTube personalities, but it's shot and edited as a REAL FILM!! Quite fun.

#15 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-08-31 09:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

Robson - Divergent explores compartmentalization of the human condition much the way I believe our elected officials view themselves an entirely separate class. While it reminds me distinctly of Hunger Games (the young female protagonist fighting dystopia of 1984 lite and a pinch of Gattica) it seemed intent on making Dauntless "cool" which totally turned me off (probably my age.. and language.. and lack of sympathy for anyone in the movie).

I didn't identify with anyone and can absolutely picture myself running screaming from the insanity of their dehumanization program. So strange to see their Communist society not put everyone to strategic purpose, just those it knows it can control. No artist class.:[ Among the firsts thing I would consider as I collect Divergents is secretly controlling that train system, expand the under-infrastructure under the barrier, then introduce new architecture and ecological recovery outside of the wall - essentially splitting off from their culture. While flawed it was a fun movie, I know a bunch of teenagers who I could recommend this one to.

#16 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2014-09-01 02:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

RedLightRobot I agree with your synopsis. Isn't it odd how Hollywood consistently portrays the future as robotic, depressing and tyrannical, and not as a world of peace and prosperity?

Maybe they know something we don't. The trend is not your friend and neither is insatiable greed and avarice, and accumulation of power....which always = evil.

#17 | Posted by Robson at 2014-09-02 03:51 PM | Reply | Flag: