Saturday, August 30, 2014

Allies are vital; the United States overstretched in the Bush years; it can't solve every problem. All true. But it's also true that none of the basic challenges to world order can be met without U.S. leadership: not Russia's aggression, not the Islamic State's expansion, not Iran's nuclear ambition nor China's territorial bullying. Each demands a different policy response, with military action and deterrence only two tools in a basket that includes diplomatic and economic measures. It's time Mr. Obama started emphasizing what the United States can do instead of what it cannot.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

AndreaMackris

MORE STORIES

Given the theory you "run what you brung"... I hope the president can come up with goals and strategies to thwart many of the challenges we face. Given the past precedent, I am just not very hopeful. Blaming social media for hyping "no stategy" isn't a good start.

Comments

YAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNN We have enough problems here at home to last 2 or 3 GENERATIONS. Time to stay out for once.

#1 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-30 11:32 AM | Reply | Flag:

Obama should take George McGovern's advice: Come home, America.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 11:46 AM | Reply | Flag:

"Do we sit on the sidelines and watch an entire people be slaughtered or do we marshal military forces and move in quietly to put an end to it?"

-George McGovern, in August 1978.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-30 11:59 AM | Reply | Flag:

Spam. Desperate attempts to link McGovern with Clintonism doesn't fool anybody.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 12:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

If one thing these last few decades has taught us is that the concept of "American Perfection" is just that: a myth. We are no better than any other group of people out there with too much power, too much self-created mythology, and too much self-interest.

Remember: the path to Hell is paved in good intent.

Nobody sets out to do bad, but the bad happens because of their hubris.

We need to step back and realize we are but one nation that is on this planet made up of the same type of dysfunctional and misinformed lunatics who are desperate to belong to something greater than themselves.

Have we not yet learned we cause more problems when we try to correct problems rather than just offering to aid and let other who know more lead the way.

#5 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-30 01:05 PM | Reply | Flag:

lol, denial of what George McGovern said about using the American military to stop genocide in Cambodia is hilarious.

As is bringing up the Clintons when no one else did.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-30 01:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

People who have no argument to make, only delusions to pass along.

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-30 01:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Hillary's neocon policies makes me nauseous."

--George McGovern

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

It would be nice if the problems of this world would just stop and let our poor President take his time to deal with things or even sit back and wait for other nations to deal with them but no one will and the problems will just continue to get worse. If he can't or won't deal with the things he needs to be dealing with then he should tell us and step aside, I'm pretty sure Joe Biden would not sit idly by as things go to hell.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 01:53 PM | Reply | Flag:

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Jurassic Park

#11 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-30 01:56 PM | Reply | Flag:

"Ukraine is not a member of NATO," he said. "We don't have those treaty obligations with Ukraine."

#12 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-30 01:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 01:53 PM | Reply

Lovely and do WHAT exactly???? Begin more military campaigns?? We are warred out. Time to fix America now.

#13 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-30 02:00 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

" but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. "

One of my favorite quotes. The unintended consequences of meddling with nature are coming home to roost.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 02:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 1

I always believed one of the scariest things you can here is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Kind of like asking G-d for help: have you read the Bible and seen how G-d "helps?"

The idea that we screw up almost everything we touch here at home yet can somehow fix other nation's problems would be laughable if it wasn't causing so many problems.

#15 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-30 02:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

You can hear, not here. Dammit! I blame Bush for that.

#16 | Posted by kanrei at 2014-08-30 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

Still in denial, I see.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2014-08-30 02:07 PM | Reply | Flag:

:We are warred out. Time to fix America now."

Probably so but history doesn't stop because we are tired. I guarantee you ISIL will be visiting us soon, I guarantee you Vlad will take advantage of our exhaustion and bite off a new chunk somewhere. And those are things we already know about, there's probably a few more we haven't even considered.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

"We are warred out. Time to fix America now.""

Time to "come home, America" as George McGovern said.

#19 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 03:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 02:59 PM | Reply | Flag:

I love You Danni I think you're a great person. It is sad to see you have gone full NeoCon PNACer on us. We can't save the world Danni We have a Country here to save now.

#20 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-30 03:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

"I guarantee you ISIL will be visiting us soon,"

I just hope they invade Florida first.

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2014-08-30 03:46 PM | Reply | Flag: | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

"It is sad to see you have gone full NeoCon PNACer on us."

You forget, I was opposed to the Iraq invasion and very much party because I knew we would face consequences, we are now beginning to face those consequences. I'm just saying we will have to deal with those consequences. Pretending otherwise would be foolhardy.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 04:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 04:03 PM | Reply

No I don't forget much which shocks Me that you are spreading the neocon war propaganda today. It's time to fix America now.

#23 | Posted by LarryMohr at 2014-08-30 04:24 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

I'm sure that with his laser-like focus he'll make great strides in meeting our global challanges as he has accomplished so much when he utilized it in the past...

#24 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-08-30 06:15 PM | Reply | Flag:

#18 | Posted by danni

Welcome, you Neocon warrior you !!

#25 | Posted by badbird at 2014-08-30 07:03 PM | Reply | Flag: | Newsworthy 1

Badbird, did you used to be on AOL?

#26 | Posted by mysterytoy at 2014-08-30 07:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

"George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donal Rumsfeld are silently applauding your enlightenment, Danni."

ISIL is applauding them, without them it wouldn't exist.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2014-08-30 07:17 PM | Reply | Flag:

Maybe the shovel-ready projects will be digging graves.

#28 | Posted by DeadSpin at 2014-08-30 07:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

Is there something I'm missing? America has had a hand in every disaster around the world for a long time. What have we missed?

#29 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2014-08-31 04:22 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'll start worrying about IS just as soon as Israel does.

#30 | Posted by Zarathustra at 2014-08-31 11:12 PM | Reply | Flag:

I believe you're gonna get other countries to step up in the world police department if we back off some.

#31 | Posted by squinch at 2014-09-01 08:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

#31 | Posted by squinch at 2014-09-01 08:10 AM | Reply |

How and who? Who has the resources to step up? The global debt issues belie any major country from stepping into the breach. That's why the global community is going to face volatility for a good time going forward. You mix that with U.S. flailing and waning hegemony attempts to hold unto their control and you have a dangerous globe.

#32 | Posted by matsop at 2014-09-01 09:03 AM | Reply | Flag: