Saturday, August 30, 2014

Gregory Orr: When I was 12 years old, I killed a younger brother in a hunting accident near our home in upstate New York. I returned to that memory this week, when I read about what happened to the young New Jersey girl who lost control of a submachine gun at a shooting range outside Las Vegas, killing her instructor. ... I do find myself wondering whether what I went through so many years ago can tell me anything about what she is going through or will go through. She and so many other children who suddenly find themselves living out the consequences of a fatal accident and trying to comprehend their part in it. The first thing I'd say is: They can't.

Liberal Blog Advertising Network

Menu

Subscriptions

Author Info

rcade

MORE STORIES

They can't comprehend it or cope with the suffering that's been let loose in their lives and the lives of those around them. This much is certain: The child has seen something that he or she is not equipped to understand. ...

With the accident that took my brother's life, my whole world was changed, utterly and to its core. I survived, grew, and perhaps even thrived. But I never healed.

Orr is a professor of English at the University of Virginia.

Comments

But don't let that keep you gun lusters from planning family fundays around automatic weapon shenanigans for the little ones.

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-08-30 09:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2014-08-30 09:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

Those crazy kids and their guns. Kids shoot the darnedest things.

#3 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2014-08-30 11:13 AM | Reply | Flag:

I had a little .22 go off by accident on me once when I was a kid... scared the hell out of me.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2014-08-30 11:17 AM | Reply | Flag:

Wish I could give Prof Orr a hug.

My grandfather saw his younger brother have a rifle accident while going over a fence.

While my grandpa did eventually recover his brother never did.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2014-08-30 01:30 PM | Reply | Flag:

12 year old kids are way to young to be trusted with a gun (how old was his little brother, and was he armed also?) Cigarettes like guns are dangerous, one reason why kids under 18 can't legally buy, or use them.

#6 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-08-30 02:18 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6. As usual, you have no clue what you are talking about.

#7 | Posted by rearendhat at 2014-08-30 03:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

#6 | POSTED BY SAMMYAZ_RI AT 2014-08-30 02:18 PM | FLAG: There are also many adults who should not be trusted with a gun - unfortunately there is no test for common sense [which is not so common in this day and age].

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-08-30 04:49 PM | Reply | Flag:

The Second Amendment prevents the testing for common sense, as shown by the huge number of stupidity driven gun kills.

#9 | Posted by northguy3 at 2014-08-30 10:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Hopefully the stupid gun-nut parents were charged with child endangerment.They are 100% to blame for their son's death. Any fool who lets a 12 year old child, handle a loaded gun, unsupervised deserves a lengthy prison sentence IMHO

#10 | Posted by SammyAZ_RI at 2014-08-30 10:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

The story describes a terrible tragedy. Clearly some kids aren't ready for hunting, and no kid is ready for an automatic weapon.

But if you're really worried about pointless innocent deaths, get back to me when you're ready to give mandatory long prison sentences for drunk driving.

#11 | Posted by DoofusOfDeath at 2014-08-31 09:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

I've never supported those younger than 16 (or the age to freely drive a car), having the ability to use and handle firearms for hunting etc. They are not mature enough. They definitely should not be handling fully automatic weapons.

Many automobile drivers of all ages are not smart and responsible enough to drive a car. The government tells us that driving is a privilege that they can control and not our right.

#12 | Posted by Robson at 2014-08-31 01:11 PM | Reply | Flag:

#9 | POSTED BY NORTHGUY3 AT 2014-08-30 10:29 PM | FLAG: Yes, and even an actual moron [IQ] has the right to vote too.

#13 | Posted by MSgt at 2014-08-31 02:45 PM | Reply | Flag: